Old 03-30-2018, 02:10 PM   #1
musicbynumbers
Human being with feelings

Default v5.79pre4 - March 30 2018

+ Glue: round start/end times to project samplerate [t=205043]
+ Multiprocessing: allow autodetection of up to 32 cores/threads
+ Performance meter: optionally show xrun counters
# Notation: allow more columns of nearly-overlapping accidentals
# linux: use clock_gettime(CLOCK_MONOTONIC) for various timings, use prio_inherit for event mutexes
# linux: use smaller file reading buffers by default
Old 03-30-2018, 02:13 PM   #2
musicbynumbers

Thanks!
Old 03-30-2018, 02:20 PM   #3
musicbynumbers

Whilst I was looking at the multiprocessor settings again, I noticed that the "allow live FX multiprocessing on.." setting has a "hint" that says don't go over 4 CPUs even if you have more.

I thought the max was higher than that now on windows 10 "professional" if I recall from the last conversation in here about that?

I set mine to 14 (on a 10/20 core I9 but I did get some glitches the other day even though I only had one instrument in the actual project.

I might try 4 cores then, see how that goes..
Old 03-30-2018, 02:24 PM   #4
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
Whilst I was looking at the multiprocessor settings again, I noticed that the "allow live FX multiprocessing on.." setting has a "hint" that says don't go over 4 CPUs even if you have more.

I thought the max was higher than that now on windows 10 "professional" if I recall from the last conversation in here about that?

I set mine to 14 (on a 10/20 core I9 but I did get some glitches the other day even though I only had one instrument in the actual project.

I might try 4 cores then, see how that goes..
Ah yeah we should revise that hint (it also uses meaningless terminologies and stuff too).
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 03:02 PM   #5
pcartwright

Quote:
# Notation: allow more columns of nearly-overlapping accidentals
Much improved. Thank you.
pcartwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 03:46 PM   #6
D Rocks

You guys are coding as fast as thunder strikes the ground!?
Thanks for all!
Old 03-30-2018, 04:55 PM   #7
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Ah yeah we should revise that hint (it also uses meaningless terminologies and stuff too).

Old 03-30-2018, 06:48 PM   #8
gwok

hey guys, just checking over those notation editor changes. Keep having problems getting zoom levels correct though, sorry bit ot but can you tell me how to get the vertical zoom handles back in the NE? thanks

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NuyauJeaPM8WPK0h2
gwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 07:01 PM   #9
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwok View Post
hey guys, just checking over those notation editor changes. Keep having problems getting zoom levels correct though, sorry bit ot but can you tell me how to get the vertical zoom handles back in the NE? thanks

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NuyauJeaPM8WPK0h2
Two relevant bits:

1) Control (cmd on mac)+ mousewheel to zoom
2) View menu ->Notation view options -> Continuous view only
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 07:50 PM   #10
gwok

ah thanks, I toggled continuous view and behaving correctly now.

( there may be user error involved, though I do experience a bit of "wonkiness" with mousewheel zoom in the NE. Seems to zoom out fine but, I usually can't zoom back in to the same depth and have to use the scroll bar +- to get back zoomed in right. Though haven't really dug around to confirm, so will not derail, but might post about that at some point if I figure it out for sure)

edit: I think I know what it is, mousewheel is scrolling the view at the same time cmd+mousewheel is zooming

edit 2 - actually there this jumping too. I don't want to derail, but here is a small vid, if it looks wonky perfect, if not....continue on..... (all zooming in vid is with cmd+mouswheel unless you see the scrollbar zoom being tweaked)

zoom jumping:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Bj...uIWnzPruxAwv_s

Last edited by gwok; 03-30-2018 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-30-2018, 08:37 PM   #11
gwok

ok,

So I've bashed the NE quite a bit and I'm getting pretty good results with accidentals and note clusters. Using the same piece as all the previous pics, you can see it's quite a bit better! yay

https://photos.app.goo.gl/0Za9AEnvXkTPc6gw2

I still see quite a bit of overlapping though at different zoom levels. Sometime changing zoom levels will fix it, though sometimes it persists, or is not ideal to change zoom level (for readability)

you can see in these pics, various overlaps of rests, accidentals, bar lines etc

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hSv5bMC3P0ZdDMrh2
Old 03-30-2018, 09:52 PM   #12
MaestroS

Default + Multiprocessing: allow autodetection of up to 32 cores/threads

Thanks!

Justin Pay attention to the remarkable Samplomatic. Let him have something like Add Band as ReaEq, only for samples. This will allow you to load drums and other tools into one vst
MaestroS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 12:47 AM   #13
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwok View Post
I still see quite a bit of overlapping though at different zoom levels. Sometime changing zoom levels will fix it, though sometimes it persists, or is not ideal to change zoom level (for readability)

you can see in these pics, various overlaps of rests, accidentals, bar lines etc
In some of these pics, the spacing does indeed seem wonky. In others (I think) the problem is caused by zoom levels: If you zoom in (expand) vertically and zoom out (compress) horizontally, notes and accidentals will inevitably start to overlap.

Note size is determined by vertical zoom, since the notes have to fit precisely into the staff spaces.

Note spacing is determined by horizontal zoom, so as you zoom out, they get squashed together.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 11:25 AM   #14
gwok

oh cool thanks!

maybe so, I'll check that out. Though that does start to cross over to my other point, which is (at least for me anyway) some erratic behaviour with the zooming in the NE. I often seem to get these erratic jumps trying to get to the optimal zoom. Especially when the NE is displaying multiple selected clips.

thanks though, I'm still getting used the the NE, so it's good to rule out user errors
Old 03-31-2018, 09:14 PM   #15
chucky5p

Quote:
+ Performance meter: optionally show xrun counters
What are "xrun" counters? I've seen them mentioned in Linux discussions but are they relevant for Windows PCs?

Chuck
chucky5p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 10:46 PM   #16
cfillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky5p View Post
What are "xrun" counters? I've seen them mentioned in Linux discussions but are they relevant for Windows PCs?
XRuns, aka buffer underruns and "crackles and pops", happens whenever the CPU is unable to give a full audio buffer to the audio hardware in time. This changelog entry means REAPER now shows how many happened in the performance meter dialog.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 07:53 AM   #17
azslow3

Quote:
+ Glue: round start/end times to project samplerate [t=205043]
Thanks!

But... Original observation has uncovered general (consistent between all rendering types now) "shift on render" effect.

Disclaimer: I understand that is on the level of "DAW sound" holy-wars, I mean possible phase shift in 20kHz region is not really audible. At the same time, several unfortunate renderings theoretically can shift the effect into audible domain

Upper (unchanged in the second image) track is original 44.1
Middle (red in the second image) is glued copy (44.1)
Lower (blue in the second image) is glued copy with the sample rate changed (48)

In the second image, rendered version is a "shifted" copy. Glued with sample rate conversion version is interpolated. It is also slightly shifted. When rendered to 96k (not on images), different algorithm is used for the sample rate conversion (visible by HPF changes before the first not zero sample).

In general I am not in position to judge decisions for conversions (I am not a pro musician nor a pro in music DSP processing). So I have only simple proposal (FR?):

An option to align source waveform samples to current project samples when possible (sample rates match).

This way, items still can be aligned to exact MBT and/or other snap points (in general not sample aligned) while the source automatically get offset to align at the project samples. So as long as the project and audio files use the same rate, samples are always aligned to samples and glue/render/freeze will no longer need to shift/interpolate.

At the moment, "re-quantization" happens at any play/render once something is moved without "sample accuracy".
Attached Images
File Type: png GlueShift1.png (33.4 KB, 369 views)
File Type: png GlueShift2.png (46.5 KB, 381 views)
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 02:42 AM   #18
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by azslow3 View Post
But... Original observation has uncovered general (consistent between all rendering types now) "shift on render" effect.
I wonder if this is related to the MIDI render bug: If using large PPQ, note position and length change by thousands of ticks when gluing
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote