Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 07-16-2018, 06:35 AM   #841
TheWhistler
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxizz View Post
@The whistler - That's also my bread and butter - I'm aiming to use it as live recording looper the way it is powerfully used in ableton. It doesnt have yet all the features Ableton has but we're getting there! Thanks to helgo's continuos work!
I don't know if by "add" you meant recording them but the later is possible so i'm guessing you should be able to add pre-recorded clip aswell.
Thank´s for taking the time to answer.
Yes, that´s what I meant to say. A combination of pre-recorded clips and live playing with recording/looping on the fly.
That is good to hear and for 20,- € it´s not such a big investment.
TheWhistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:55 AM   #842
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_r View Post
Hi Helgoboss, I've moved to a new PC after the old one died. Where can I get my license file?

Thanks
What's your email address? I suppose you lost the license email so I'll resend it.
helgoboss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:03 AM   #843
todd_r

Quote:
Originally Posted by helgoboss View Post
What's your email address? I suppose you lost the license email so I'll resend it.
Thanks for your help

Last edited by todd_r; 07-16-2018 at 07:21 AM.
todd_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:08 PM   #844
MrHonkeytonk

Default Tempo Change based on Cell or Clip

Hi all. I'm checking out Playtime as a live performance tool. It's an excellent innovation for Reaper, thank you helgoboss!

Playtime has all of the features that I could ever want, except... i haven't found any instructions for changing tempo when the user activates particular clips. I saw a ticket #77 where support for tempo markers was included in Playtime. This seems like the type of feature I need, but I haven't figured out how to use it. I can insert tempo markers in the timeline view, but Reaper plays past all of them and they're not associated with particular cells or clips.

Can anyone advise me?
MrHonkeytonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:33 PM   #845
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHonkeytonk View Post
Hi all. I'm checking out Playtime as a live performance tool. It's an excellent innovation for Reaper, thank you helgoboss!

Playtime has all of the features that I could ever want, except... i haven't found any instructions for changing tempo when the user activates particular clips. I saw a ticket #77 where support for tempo markers was included in Playtime. This seems like the type of feature I need, but I haven't figured out how to use it. I can insert tempo markers in the timeline view, but Reaper plays past all of them and they're not associated with particular cells or clips.

Can anyone advise me?
Hi, thanks! Ticket #77 was only about making Playtime not get confused when there are tempo markers, it was not about introducing tempo changes when clips are triggered. There's an open feature request #179 which is about scene-specific tempo. I was already thinking of implementing this by inserting/removing tempo markers on the fly. But it's scene-specific. Why would you want it clip-specific?
Old 07-17-2018, 12:54 PM   #846
MrHonkeytonk

Hi, helgoboss, thanks. I suppose that scene-specific tempo changes might work. I guess I have a broader question: How can I run an entire show with a headless PC? With the clip playback controlled only by drum pads and/or a Launchpad?

I was looking for ways to switch Reaper projects or tabs by remote control (for each song) but wasn't coming up with anything reliable. The best that I could come up with, was to load the entire show into one instance of Playtime. But then I would need tempo changes as songs began.

So maybe I'm overlooking a preferred method for running a show that has already been developed.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:37 PM   #847
helgoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHonkeytonk View Post
Hi, helgoboss, thanks. I suppose that scene-specific tempo changes might work. I guess I have a broader question: How can I run an entire show with a headless PC? With the clip playback controlled only by drum pads and/or a Launchpad?

I was looking for ways to switch Reaper projects or tabs by remote control (for each song) but wasn't coming up with anything reliable. The best that I could come up with, was to load the entire show into one instance of Playtime. But then I would need tempo changes as songs began.

So maybe I'm overlooking a preferred method for running a show that has already been developed.
There's no preferred workflow for that yet. Yes, one way would be scene-specific tempo changes, something I plan to implement. But your idea of switching between project tabs also sounds like a great potential approach. What I like about it is that the songs could be totally isolated from each other. That's very clean. And potentially by disabling background tabs it could be a better choice regarding performance. Switching between project tabs using controllers is no problem, that works reliably. The current issue is that Playtime (mostly Playtime's controller support) is not yet designed for working with multiple project tabs of which only one shall be active at one point in time. When you use different project tabs with Playtime, each one is active ... so if you use the same Launchpad with each tab, they get mixed up. I will create a ticket for that.

So I think both approaches are valid but both need some implementation work.
Old 07-22-2018, 02:58 AM   #848
jemsoo7

Default Transpose Clips (MIDI) in realtime to match Scale/Chord

Hi Helgoboss! Thanks for this amazing work! I wanted to know if i could use your plugin to achieve multi-pad functionality offered by arranger keyboards like Korg Pa4x or Yamaha PSR-S series (See this post for more details https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=208876)

The function is to be able to capture the midi message reaching reaper, apply a transform to the midi notes in a clip (based on a scale/chord) and send back THIS output to the midi playback device. Plogue bidule/MidiOX routing kind of thingy maybe, i don't know?

Thanks for your consideration.
jemsoo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 05:27 PM   #849
Marcio Ruiz

Great!!!!
Marcio Ruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 04:01 AM   #850
Frappa

Helgoboss, thanks for your great plugins. I love them both.

Since the beginning Playtime has some little annoying bug/issue:

When I close the Playtime project or load another project - it doesn't matter if this project has Playtime in it or not - the light indicators on the grid-controller (Launchpad, ...) won't be cleared/reseted.

It should be reseted, when closing the project and maybe also during initialization of the newly loaded project.

Currently I have to physically reconnect the grid-controller to get a empty matrix.
Frappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 04:46 AM   #851
Frappa

One more playtime-related issue I have:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=209373

Any ideas for workarounds ?
Old 07-27-2018, 07:52 AM   #852
Michael AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frappa View Post

When I close the Playtime project or load another project - it doesn't matter if this project has Playtime in it or not - the light indicators on the grid-controller (Launchpad, ...) won't be cleared/reseted.

It should be reseted, when closing the project and maybe also during initialization of the newly loaded project.

Currently I have to physically reconnect the grid-controller to get a empty matrix.
I don't have that problem - I can go from one Playtime project to another and the lights change properly per project. I'm using Windows 10 with a Launchpad Pro.
Michael AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 07:56 AM   #853
Frappa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael AD View Post
I don't have that problem - I can go from one Playtime project to another and the lights change properly per project. I'm using Windows 10 with a Launchpad Pro.
That's strange. I use a Launchpad Mini, but I had the same issue with a Maschine Studio.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:43 PM   #854
toxizz

Quote:

Been having the same issue but I believe it is more related to the hardware itself cause I used to have that when closing/relaunching a project even in ableton live. I would need to unplug the launchpad or "close" the audio device in topright corner.

One thing you could try is adding a custom action in repear's action list : search for "reset midi device" or something like that, i've mapped that to a shortcut and it solved the lights hanging issue for me.
toxizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:51 PM   #855
toxizz

Default in need of a One-shot recorder/looper - Heeelpppppp !

JUst thought i'd ask you looping heads out hear if you know a good Vst pluging that I could use along with Playtime to record and immediatly playback short vocal One shots.

I want to do this specific task he does at 4min45 ish:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC8CH0Z3L54

Very creative

Yet, I don't think I can do that with Playtime since the record mode is set to Rec/Play/stop with a 1 bar quantize.. This is crucial for live recording the rest of the performance (all the instruments).

For these one shots, I would need need to have the quantize to off and make the loop play Once only. Been searching all around the web for this.. No luck yet,
Old 08-07-2018, 05:23 AM   #856
helgoboss

Here's a new prerelase: Playtime 1.15.0-pre1

- Windows Installer
- Windows Portable ZIP 32-bit
- Windows Portable ZIP 64-bit
- OS X installer
- OS X portable ZIP

Changes:
#329 Added custom undo system within Playtime in order to support undo/redo without playback interruption and clip chaos (see the new undo/redo buttons in the toolbar)
#305 Added support for more Launchpad Pro buttons: record arm, track select, mute, solo, stop clip, duplicate, double, quantize, undo/redo (double, quantize and undo/redo are also available within the Playtime UI)
#325 Improved clip recording by omitting number suffix from first recorded clip
#327 Improved usability by automatically zooming MIDI editor to content when opening MIDI clip (known issue: if there are only notes of one pitch in the clip it doesn't work, seems to be a bug in the REAPER action 40466)
#326 Improved usability by automatically stowing away clips on load (that makes pressing the 'Leave edit mode' button unnecessary after opening a project which has been saved while clips where still playing)
#324 Improved usability by automatically hiding MIDI triggers when selecting a grid controller (something like the Launchpad)
#287 Improved audio performance by reducing mutex locking
#321 Improved UI performance by reducing main thread load
#320 Fixed serious REAPER UI slowdown on big projects if Playtime is among the last tracks
#319 Fixed recording on tracks containing special characters such as '<'
#330 Fixed crash when deleting group or scene while docked

Feedback about bugs very much appreciated, especially critical ones. Thanks!
Old 08-07-2018, 05:49 AM   #857
wholehalf

Default Thanks!

Thanks for all your work, playtime and relearn are invaluable additions to my Reaper workflow!
wholehalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:26 PM   #858
MrHonkeytonk

Default Live Performance Backing Tracks with Playtime

Hi helgoboss. I'm the person who asked about project tabs and tempo changes for live performance. You explained that MIDI events will trigger clips in all tabs, regardless of the tab's open/close state. You are correct, quite a cacophony. I'm anxiously awaiting the playtime tab support that you're planning.

But I think that I have a workaround. I set up some custom actions that switch songs (tabs) but mute all tracks in song "A" before activating the desired tab for song "B", and then unmuting "B". I've tested it with 4 tabs and I can bounce around between songs with no noise from the the deselected songs. Using a large number of tabs may bust the system, I will have to test for that point. A show might contain 35 songs.

I was wondering if you see a problem with this?
Old 08-12-2018, 07:48 AM   #859
toxizz

Default Undo/delete clips - How to map?

-I had replied previosuly but I don't see my post, forgive me if i'm reapeting myself-

Heyy! So far so good with the undos Helgo, i've tried going back as much as 8 undos for clips on different tracks (on different row of "scenes")

I could redo these clips, no crash, no lag! Well done

Only thing i'm missing is the ability to map to a controller : Can't seems to Map the undo button using the LEARN function. I've tried different midi channels. No luck, anything i'm missing ?
Old 08-12-2018, 08:18 PM   #860
toxizz

Quote:
-I had replied previosuly but I don't see my post, forgive me if i'm reapeting myself-

Heyy! So far so good with the undos Helgo, i've tried going back as much as 8 undos for clips on different tracks (on different row of "scenes")

I could redo these clips, no crash, no lag! Well done

Only thing i'm missing is the ability to map to a controller : Can't seems to Map the undo button using the LEARN function. I've tried different midi channels. No luck, anything i'm missing ?
EDIT : I did find a bug : Reaper crashes when my laptop falls in sleep mode (either full sleep mode where you need to log back on in windows OR sleep mode with just the blackscreen but everything still's running). When I move the mouse or log back on, and get back in reaper and try an action like Play a scene, Everything freezes and eventually crash.

My project's too big to upload here so I had to create an issue on bitbucket :
https://bitbucket.org/helgoboss/play...ew-pre-release
Old 08-14-2018, 08:44 AM   #861
Frappa

Quote:
Been having the same issue but I believe it is more related to the hardware itself cause I used to have that when closing/relaunching a project even in ableton live. I would need to unplug the launchpad or "close" the audio device in topright corner.

One thing you could try is adding a custom action in repear's action list : search for "reset midi device" or something like that, i've mapped that to a shortcut and it solved the lights hanging issue for me.
It's only possible to reset the lights with this "Leave edit mode" button.

:: FROM THE MANUAL ::
Whenever at least one clip is in edit mode, the "Leave edit mode" button (the broom icon) lights up in blue. Pressing this button switches off edit mode for all clips.
It also stows away all clips in edit mode that are not currently playing.
::

I think there should be a simple MIDI/lights-initialization, when closing/loading a Playtime instance and Reaper Project.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:46 AM   #862
Frappa

So far the new undo-system works great.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:02 AM   #863
Frappa

Quote:
JUst thought i'd ask you looping heads out hear if you know a good Vst pluging that I could use along with Playtime to record and immediatly playback short vocal One shots.

Very creative

Yet, I don't think I can do that with Playtime since the record mode is set to Rec/Play/stop with a 1 bar quantize.. This is crucial for live recording the rest of the performance (all the instruments).

For these one shots, I would need need to have the quantize to off and make the loop play Once only. Been searching all around the web for this.. No luck yet,
Default trigger mode or play start time: immediatley
&
MIDI toggle mode off

3.9.2 Play start time
By default, the play start time is "Next measure". Which means that whenever you trigger a clip, Playtime will start playing it on the next measure, not immediately. That causes loops to be nicely rhythmically aligned, which is probably what you want. If it is not what you want, you can change it to "Next beat" or even "Immediately". "Next beat" can be useful for rhythmic experiments while "Immediately" is well-suited if you want to go crazy or trigger one shots instead of loops.

Last edited by Frappa; 08-14-2018 at 09:22 AM.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:43 PM   #864
toxizz

Quote:
Default trigger mode or play start time: immediatley
&
MIDI toggle mode off

3.9.2 Play start time
By default, the play start time is "Next measure". Which means that whenever you trigger a clip, Playtime will start playing it on the next measure, not immediately. That causes loops to be nicely rhythmically aligned, which is probably what you want. If it is not what you want, you can change it to "Next beat" or even "Immediately". "Next beat" can be useful for rhythmic experiments while "Immediately" is well-suited if you want to go crazy or trigger one shots instead of loops.
What I was saying is having the 1 bar trigger quantize is essential for my setup in general but I could of use another setting for a specific track set to "immediatly". Thx for the suggestion though ( I did find a solution for my problem using maschine software on that designated track)
Old 08-15-2018, 03:48 PM   #865
toxizz

Quote:
So far the new undo-system works great.
Were you able to map that to a midi note and trigger the undo via a controller ??
Old 08-16-2018, 04:24 AM   #866
helgoboss

Playtime's undo/redo is not mappable yet, will be in the next pre. Yes, some automatic light reset on load/close would make sense. I think I've tried once to implement it for close and didn't have success but I'll try again.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:47 AM   #867
toxizz

Roger that!! Checking daily for new updates to come
Old 09-14-2018, 10:41 PM   #868
reaper@395.dk

Default Bug with playback rate?

Hi,

I'm rendering some 8 bar loops (percussive) from a project with 100 bpm and inserting them into Playtime in another project with 100 bpm via fill with file. When importing the playback rate get set to 1.052083. I can reset the rate to 1, but it find it rather strange. Anything I'm doing wrong?

Br,
Thomas
reaper@395.dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 09:06 PM   #869
toxizz

Default 2y later, where are we on that matter :) ?!

Quote:
Yes. For the time being, input quantization can't be used anymore when recording Playtime clips. I found it more important to allow stable clip recording with perfect timing than to keep this implicit feature (which worked only because REAPER's built-in recording function was used).

I'll probably try to add this feature again in future, but not in the upcoming release. Actually, it seems it can be done using the API (midi_quantize_mode_t).
Being able to input quantize while using playtime and creating clips would be really handy here If you still havent find the time for that, is it my understanding that i could manually set this up on my own with a command line (midi_quantize_mode_t)? Sorry I don't know anything about API but I'm willing to try !
Old 09-25-2018, 12:26 PM   #870
ThrashJazzAssassin

Regression??

When loading a track template (which was saved with 'Include track items in template' enabled), the tracks and items are loaded as expected, but playtime is empty.

Reaper 5.95
Playtime 1.15.0 pre1

EDIT:Checked with v1.14.1 and that didn't restore the clips either. Maybe I'm getting mixed up. Maybe not a regression. Could be a feature request. Thanks

Last edited by ThrashJazzAssassin; 09-25-2018 at 01:00 PM.
ThrashJazzAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:39 AM   #871
Ozman

Quote:
Hi all,

I've a new release for you: Playtime 1.12

Changes:
Compatibility change: Latest Playtime now needs REAPER >= 5.16, REAPER 4 is not supported anymore
#214 Added sample-accurate, zero-latency auto-play of recorded audio clips (there was a small but annoying delay in previous versions; the complete recording logic has been rewritten for this feature; instead of using REAPER's built-in recording feature, Playtime now adds lightweight 'Playtime Worker' plugins to tracks, they are responsible for recording)
#210 Added sample-accurate, zero-latency auto-play of recorded MIDI clips
#226 Added support for recording multiple slots concurrently (must be different tracks though)
#234 Added support for automatically looping take envelopes (this is only done whenever the corresponding envelope doesn't exceed the take length)
#196 Added support for recording track output
#212 Added option to automatically add fades to recorded clips in order to prevent clicks between loops (see setting 'Default loop fade time', default fade length for new projects is 10ms, uses the take volume envelope - so it's non-destructive and you can customize the fades afterwards to allow for more seamless looping, thanks to #234 take volume envelopes are automatically looped)
#251 Added possibility to glue clips (also if they don't have a section)
#250 Added possibility to reset Launchpad lights by clicking on brush button while it's not lighted up
#221 Improved usability by automatically zooming back when leaving edit mode (to zoom level as it was before entering edit mode)
#218 Improved usability by automatically switching off the metronome when starting tempo detection (just makes sense)
#220 Improved behavior when stopping a clip recording prematurely by deleting the left-over clip
#217 Improved clip naming by not adding '-glued' suffix after glueing
#165 Improved group and scene naming behavior by only memorizing custom names if they differ from the default name
#229 Improved usability by automatically selecting target cell after doing drag'n'drop (in previous versions, the source cell stayed selected and that felt weird)
#231 Improved usability by deleting left-over item when recording over an existing clip
#250 Improved Launchpad support by more reliably resetting all Launchpad lights (and possibly those of other controllers) on load
#247 Improved MIDI recording by including notes that have been played but not released before the recording
#208 Fixed too late auto-play after recording clip (resulting in wrong timing)
#211 Fixed crazy behavior when using envelopes for some trigger-like Playtime automation parameters (added a flooding protection)
#209 Fixed potential crash caused by race conditions
#209 Fixed crash that sometimes occurred after recording and aligning items vertically
#222 Fixed Playtime docking bug in recent REAPER versions that caused Playtime to not show up in docked mode when pressing the FX button
#223 Fixed Playtime show/hide action when repeatedly invoking the action using a keyboard shortcut (focus was lost and shortcut didn't work anymore)
#224 Fixed possible crash when deleting track after recording but before stopping
#225 Fixed bug that caused a recorded clip to be too long when untriggering the recording shortly after measure start within the sluggishness tolerance (as of this version, sluggishness tolerance is only used for playing clips, not for recording them)
#219 Fixed non-working retriggering of once played one-shot via automation
#230 Fixed missing controller light updates when swapping or copying slots
#239 Fixed bug in show/hide action and docking when the Playtime FX instance is renamed
#183 Fixed crash when trying to fill slot with empty item (filling it with an empty item is now prevented)
#253 Fixed weird behavior when pressing REAPER play button and triggering clips at exactly the same time (usually happens only when using Playtime as arranger, that is triggering Playtime clips using MIDI items)

@Ozman The last line means that the bug that you have reported (using Playtime as arranger) should be fixed now. Let me know if it still doesn't work.

In case you are interested: ReaLearn is now also out of beta.

Merry Christmas!

Ben
Ben, I'm sorry for the late reply... I guess I had taken a long break from Playtime, in search for alternate options for Arrangement management in Reaper. However, I'm back... Playtime has been the Arrangement tool of choice in my last few projects. It really helps when jammin out ideas (I don't miss Ableton Live at all).

One thing though, you definitely pointed out the problem that was causing my issue. I know b/c that is how I'm able to reproduce it. For some reason, I still cannot have Reaper start playback at the same time that a midi item is triggering a Playtime session. So pretty much, in version 1.14.1, the problem persists for me.

Can you please look into it? This is how I primarily use Playtime: As a jam then arrange tool. I've set Play clips with arrangement and Play arrangement with clips to "On", so that it plays from 1.1.00.

I hope that this can be figured out.

Thanks again, man!
Ozman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:44 PM   #872
CDS

Play Time needs a lot of improvement on the graphics, the graphics are terrible.
CDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:06 PM   #873
mschnell

-> https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=212107#6
-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:40 AM   #874
_jon

Quote:

Very creative

Hey there is a VST called InstantSampler that you may find interesting
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/ins...mpler_by_muxer

I think it's 32-bit only but you can probably jBridge it
_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:53 AM   #875
brummbear

Hi toxizz,

You may be able to use this little JS plugin as a starting point:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=211834

It does not follow the typical looper scheme where you press the record button just before you start playing/singing and press stop when you are done. Rather it constantly records and you press the repeat button whenever you are happy with what you have just played/sung, i.e. after the fact!

The plugin constantly samples the input in a ring buffer and will play back a user defined fraction of the sample buffer whenever you hit "Repeat". You can map Repeat to a MIDI push button for example and set the timing to immediately.

If you do not like the looping, want to freeze the loop etc you can tweak the JS code to fit your specific needs.

Another idea would be to take a look at Reaper's built in Super8 looper.
brummbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 11:43 PM   #876
_jon

Default Record next clip immediately after tempo detection clip?

Hi helgoboss,

Thanks for your continuing work on this awesome tool.

Is there a way to immediately record the next clip (whether on the same group or elsewhere) as soon as a tempo-detection recording completes and enters playback?
_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 05:14 AM   #877
DarrenH

Hey, glad to hear you're willing to finance a design team! I forecast 8-10K to get things off the ground with a lead designer, UX design expert and a coder to complement the team (one person?) that has been working on it now.

So when can you send the money? we'll be back in a few months for more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDS View Post
Play Time needs a lot of improvement on the graphics, the graphics are terrible.

Last edited by DarrenH; 10-31-2018 at 09:28 AM.
DarrenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:27 AM   #878
Ozman

Actually... these kind of tools will hopefully be native to Reaper someday.
Outside of design, it's always a case of making scripts/addons work "around" api limitations.
Ozman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 03:16 PM   #879
mschnell

This never will happen. Making all "these kind of tools" part of the distribution would result in an immensely bloated product.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 02:09 PM   #880
Regisfofo

Hi !

Is there a way to use playtime as a livelooping tool without use of mouse and keyboard ? Anyone have experience with playtime in that kind of workflow ?
for exemple is it possible to activate tempo detection with an action to learn with a midi controller?

Thanks!
Regisfofo is offline   Reply With Quote