Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 08-24-2008, 04:50 PM   #1
Amether
Human being with feelings

Default Motu Mach 5 - when you're not the one with the iLok...

I'm running Reaper from a USB stick. Perhaps this is relevant.

I try starting a Reaper session - and it reaches the Mach 5 is asks me to install - I'm not the one with the iLok to this program so I try to quit the installation and Reaper promptly dies. I try again and it does the same. I cannot get Reaper to run.

Is this just another example of why iLok security systems are the market leader? Very very secure indeed very indeed. Thanks guys.

Or is it just cos I'm too chicken to install it on the HD?
Amether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:02 PM   #2
mahasandi

well i hope someone can prove me wrong but;
i have reaper on my hd and my ilok in the usb slot ,
and no, mach 5 doesn't show up in reaper ever.
they never bothered to update it past panther , they are now supporting mach 5 v2
mahasandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:37 AM   #3
fergal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amether View Post
I'm running Reaper from a USB stick. Perhaps this is relevant.

I try starting a Reaper session - and it reaches the Mach 5 is asks me to install - I'm not the one with the iLok to this program so I try to quit the installation and Reaper promptly dies. I try again and it does the same. I cannot get Reaper to run.

Is this just another example of why iLok security systems are the market leader? Very very secure indeed very indeed. Thanks guys.

Or is it just cos I'm too chicken to install it on the HD?
Just a FYI:

In general...

Syncrosoft protected software will cause the program, or host program to crash if it is accessed without the dongle being present - for example Vienna Instruments will crash the host if the dongle is not inserted (without possibility of saving). This is because it causes the host to attempt to process data that doesn't exist (data that should be being decoded by the dongle) - it's similar to taking a blow torch to the computer's RAM whilst the program is running, lol...

iLok protected software will normally just refuse to open, but will not normally cause the host to perform any illegal operations, as it has safeguards in place that report that that the plugin/program will be unable to run the, so normally, the host can simply declare the plug-in inactive or bypassed.

I'm not certain how reaper handles things, as I haven't attempted to load mach5 in reaper w/o the iLok inserted, but what i've described is what happens on every other system I've used.

-Fergal
fergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:15 AM   #4
mahasandi

fergal - i know that mach five requires an ilok dongle, but;
are you getting mach 5 to work in reaper?
reaper never sees it here. i'am on tiger.
mahasandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 03:34 AM   #5
Amether

So - general conclusion is that Mach5 w/o iLok should be being bypassed by Reaper but it isn't? Please Sir Justin could you take a look? That said, there's a bunch of plugins that I didn't have the iLok for either, and they moaned once and went away, so Mach5 seems to be doing something different.

Is there a config file I can manually update that will bypass Mach5?
Amether is offline   Reply With Quote