Old 01-03-2020, 05:21 PM   #1
b0se
Human being with feelings

Default Ryzen Hackintosh Compatibility!

Hey,

I've been advised that Reaper won't work properly with a Ryzen Hackintosh. That's rather bad news for me (just bought a new build), and quite a few others I'd imagine (they're getting more and more popular).

How hard is it to add the Ryzen CPU list to the Mac build?

Would it be possible, even if just for now, to make a compatible build for the latest version of V6? I'd be happy with this version of Reaper, even if it was for the next year!

Fingers crossed!

Cheers btw, for an awesome DAW.

Last edited by b0se; 01-06-2020 at 05:53 AM.
b0se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 03:18 AM   #2
Michael Firmont

Interesting.... never thought of this as an issue, having the struggle as well atm, if I should be myself a Ryzen Hack or got the painful $$$ road....
Michael Firmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 03:28 AM   #3
cfillion

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=223631
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 03:29 AM   #4
b0se

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Firmont View Post
Interesting.... never thought of this as an issue, having the struggle as well atm, if I should be myself a Ryzen Hack or got the painful $$$ road....
I know, the difference is huge. I've bought a very fast 16 core system for under £3K. Equivalent Mac Pro is £9K (3x!), and that has less RAM (64 vs 48) and slower storage.

Madness.

If the Reaper guys can make a Ryzen compatible build, and not have to commit to doing it very often (one every 6/12 months perhaps), it would be amazing.
Old 01-04-2020, 03:30 AM   #5
b0se

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfillion View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Ah Ryzen... Seems the version of ICC we're using is probably incompatible (since officially it's not a supported CPU on the mac). I suppose we could make a clang-only macOS build once in a while, if that would be helpful...
Fab news Justin! Any news on this?
Old 01-04-2020, 04:15 AM   #6
Michael Firmont

Mhm.... makes sense, but it's a pity. Other DAWs (Pro Tools, Cubase, especially Logic) should suffer from the same issue I guess?! But without the chance of getting support :-P

I think this is (sadly) the final death stroke for my wish for a Hackintosh :-(
Michael Firmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 04:35 AM   #7
b0se

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Firmont View Post
Mhm.... makes sense, but it's a pity. Other DAWs (Pro Tools, Cubase, especially Logic) should suffer from the same issue I guess?! But without the chance of getting support :-P

I think this is (sadly) the final death stroke for my wish for a Hackintosh :-(
Some Adobe CC apps had issues out of the box, but there are fixes out for that now.

Fingers crossed the Reaper team sneak in a Ryzentosh friendly release.
Old 04-03-2020, 04:36 AM   #8
littlejon

For Reaper to work with AMD we need the clang build. The latest one I know of is version 6.03 which can be found on landoleet.org in folder "old".

I switched from Intel to AMD this week and the lack of Reaper was an unpleasant surprise for me, since I've grown fond of Reaper over the years. If the devs could publish a clang build once in a while, that would be much appreciated. I'll post the information about this option on the AMD OSX Forum. The AMD macOS community is growing since AMD CPUs are leaps ahead of Intel nowadays when it comes to price/performance ratio and that's what hackintoshing is about in the first place.
littlejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 05:00 AM   #9
Ideosound

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejon View Post
AMD CPUs are leaps ahead of Intel nowadays when it comes to price/performance ratio and that's what hackintoshing is about in the first place.
I don't know, if you want the best hackintosh experience you build your system as close to a real mac. Hence you don't bother with AMD CPUs because real macs don't support them. Most of the huge core counts are lost on music software anyway, so other than price there is little need to switch your CPU to one that all mac software isn't designed to run on. Intel hacks are still a whole load cheaper than real macs at the end of the day.
Ideosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 05:25 AM   #10
littlejon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ideosound View Post
Most of the huge core counts are lost on music software anyway, so other than price there is little need to switch your CPU to one that all mac software isn't designed to run on. Intel hacks are still a whole load cheaper than real macs at the end of the day.
You're right, If all you do is music, than 16 core CPU won't do you much service, besides multitasking perhaps. But if your main focus is editing 4K or 8K video and recording and editing audio is only one part of the whole audiovisual creative process, then i7 just won't cut it. Not saying that staying with Intel is bad, but it's good to have options. Besides Reaper all the apps I need work out of the box or with simple patching on Ryzen. The argument about Intel being cheaper is debatable.
littlejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 07:37 AM   #11
n997

Quote:
Most of the huge core counts are lost on music software anyway [...]
My experience is exactly opposite: more cores = more plugins and better realtime performance. At least, that is so in projects which have 50-100+ virtual instrument instances, at high realtime quality settings.

So far, a 8C/16T Ryzen has been the first "cheap" CPU I'm not at risk of often maxing out. Haven't tried one in a Hackintosh yet, though.
n997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 01:15 PM   #12
SlashLP97

+1 on the clang build request! I'm on a Ryzen Hackintosh and Reaper works FAMOUSLY (except for a few Waves plugins that suffer from the same issue as the normal Reaper builds). I'm stuck on 6.03 because that's the last clang build, it would be great to be able to update every few versions.
SlashLP97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 02:28 PM   #13
RalphHeigl

Default How about a new clang build for my new Ryzen?

Built a 32 g x570 Ryzen 3900x Vega 56 Hackintosh and got it working on a sorta clean install of Catalina 10.15.4.
Reinstalled all my apps but when I got to Reaper Ka... boom!
Searched and thank heavens a guy broke the rules and made a link to landoleet on reddit!
Got the 6.03 clang in the "old" folder in landoleet.org and it saved me!
I think I was 6.09 on my MacPro before the big switch.

Soooo.... Could you please do a new clang compile for 6.11? And then every couple of releases?

Thanks
RalphHeigl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 08:11 AM   #14
Ideosound

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlashLP97 View Post
except for a few Waves plugins that suffer from the same issue as the normal Reaper builds
What waves plugin issues? I've not had issues with my Intel Hack using Reaper and Waves.
Ideosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 04:25 PM   #15
maralatho

Quote:
What waves plugin issues? I've not had issues with my Intel Hack using Reaper and Waves.
On my own Ryzen hackintosh, even after upgrading my Waves plugins to v11 for Catalina, a few will crash Reaper when it scans them: H-Reverb (but no others in the H-series), Abbey Road Plates, Abbey Road Mastering Chain, and Waves NX. There might be a few others, but those are the ones I remember off the top of my head. To be fair, these same plugins also crash Studio One Pro, and most of my plugins won't work at all in Logic which doesn't yet support Waves v11.

Meanwhile, when I boot back into Windows, I can run the latest Reaper with better performance and latency than on macOS, and all of my plugins work perfectly. If only they weren't the size of postage stamps....
maralatho is offline   Reply With Quote