Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 01-14-2018, 04:40 AM   #1
Ive
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper/Boss Katana Amp Preference Setup

Just wondering if anyone here uses Reaper with a Boss Katana 50 amp. I’m trying to set up the preferences so I can record my guitar directly into my computer via USB over a jam track. I’d like to be able to hear both the jam track and guitar play back through my computer power speakers. Not sure what I’m doing wrong but something tells me it has something to do with drivers. I was using Audacity previously and im understanding that Reaper and/or Boss Katana don’t recognize the same drivers. Appreciate any help anyone can offer to get me started.
Ive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:45 AM   #2
Stella645

Seems like it has no ASIO driver so maybe try to select WASAPI as audio system or if that doesn't work try WDM.

Hopefully it will let you choose Katana as inputs but your speakers (may be called Realtek HD audioor similar) as output.
See what options you have and ask if you can't get it working.

If this won't work we may have to try ASIO4all driver but give this a go first.
Stella645 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:57 AM   #3
Ive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
Seems like it has no ASIO driver so maybe try to select WASAPI as audio system or if that doesn't work try WDM.

Hopefully it will let you choose Katana as inputs but your speakers (may be called Realtek HD audioor similar) as output.
See what options you have and ask if you can't get it working.

If this won't work we may have to try ASIO4all driver but give this a go first.
Thanks for the reply Stella645.
When you say “it” as having no ASIO driver are you refering to Reaper?
Old 01-14-2018, 07:13 AM   #4
Stella645

No...to the Katana....but you select the driver for the hardware in Reaper prefs/Audio devices
Old 01-14-2018, 08:53 AM   #5
Ive

Quote:
No...to the Katana....but you select the driver for the hardware in Reaper prefs/Audio devices
These are my Reaper preference settings.
Audio system: ASIO
ASIO Driver: Katana
Enable inputs: primary
Secondary
Output range: primary
Secondary

Does this look right so far?
Old 01-14-2018, 10:06 AM   #6
Stella645

Ahh....so there is an ASIO driver for the Katana....no mention of it in the manual.

But if you use ASIO you cannot use two hardware devices together the amp is both input and output.
So with this driver you must use the headphone socket on the Katana to monitor the playback.

Switch from ASIO to WASAPI as I suggested and you might be able to use Katana input and still set your speakers as output.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:19 AM   #7
Ive

Quote:
Ahh....so there is an ASIO driver for the Katana....no mention of it in the manual.

But if you use ASIO you cannot use two hardware devices together the amp is both input and output.
So with this driver you must use the headphone socket on the Katana to monitor the playback.

Switch from ASIO to WASAPI as I suggested and you might be able to use Katana input and still set your speakers as output.
Thanks again.....appreciate your patience.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:49 AM   #8
Stella645

No problem...let us know how it goes.

Still one more possiblw workaround if WASAPI won't work either.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:16 AM   #9
Ive

So I’ve tried it all and can’t get this working. I’ll just ask one more question before I put this away for awhile, and revisit a little later and start from the beginning again.

Anyway, when you’re recording with Reaper, do you hear your guitar playing through your amp? Where is your jam track routed to, your amp, earphones or computer speakers?

Thanks again for your patience and help.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:22 AM   #10
Stella645

This will depend on the how you set it up. I don't have this amp btw, just checked the manual and can see how it's supposed to work.

So with Katana ASIO driver selected as I said before, the playback will play through the Katana headphone socket only.

With the other drivers you should have the option to select different outputs in the preferences drop-down menu. But no way I can tell you for sure they work....you will have to explain what you can or can't see and what you have chosen.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:49 AM   #11
Ive

Quote:
This will depend on the how you set it up. I don't have this amp btw, just checked the manual and can see how it's supposed to work.

So with Katana ASIO driver selected as I said before, the playback will play through the Katana headphone socket only.

With the other drivers you should have the option to select different outputs in the preferences drop-down menu. But no way I can tell you for sure they work....you will have to explain what you can or can't see and what you have chosen.
Thanks Stella645...👍👍👍
Old 01-16-2018, 06:56 AM   #12
ivansc

One other thought: IF you are doing anything throuhg Reaper, make sure the track you are trying to hear has recordd monitoring set to auto. Its that little sideways triangle icon in the track control panel. three switchable states: On/Off/Auto. Auto is generally best because it defaults to outputting sound from the input as default regardless of recording state.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:51 PM   #13
Ive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
One other thought: IF you are doing anything throuhg Reaper, make sure the track you are trying to hear has recordd monitoring set to auto. Its that little sideways triangle icon in the track control panel. three switchable states: On/Off/Auto. Auto is generally best because it defaults to outputting sound from the input as default regardless of recording state.
Thanks Ivan. I’ll try this out tonight.

By the way, must be lots of Ivan’s here. That’s my name too...haha. Had to modify mine when I registered.