Old 01-14-2018, 09:17 AM   #1
Andaraginga
Human being with feelings

Default sound missing irregularly

Hello,

for two days or so I am having a problem that I never had before.
When I play a normal song with numerous tracks and numerous media items on each tracks, some of these items are suddenly not played.

Imagine having a track with doubled guitars left and right and although they are visibly there the sound shifts between left + right, only right, only left and so on.

This happens when I play the song and also when I render the song to create a mixdown.

My impression is that the problem is not a steady one, not anything that is 100% there or not there. It is more like certain parts are more likely to show missing sound than other. But sometimes I can stop playback, try again and the sound comes back on or the other way around.

Any idea what that could be and how I can solve it?

Don't know if it helps much but I attached some screenshot.

No 1 shows a doubled guitar track in Reaper.
No 2 shows the mixdown file (where can see that parts are missing)

If you want to listen, here is an mp3 of that bit:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nu...n3sXOQPvOWFi9E
Attached Images
File Type: png problem.PNG (25.6 KB, 143 views)
File Type: png problem3.PNG (10.7 KB, 135 views)
Old 01-16-2018, 08:53 AM   #2
Andaraginga

Okay, no ideas?
Or is the question stupid?

Again, some sounds are missing, often from the same media items, but not 100% consistent.

What could that be?

I had some ideas but couldn't get any further:

* Some kind of overload, too many files, something that the system can't handle.
I checked the performance meter and everything seems fine. Also, I thought if it had to do with performance, stutter or some other sound problems were more likely to occur and none of that takes place here!?

* Automute because certain items or parts being too loud.
I had cases where that was the case and the system automatically automuted the responsible track. But if that was the case I could see it because there was some kind of info on the volume meter and that is not the case now.

* Some hidden automation track.
Volume or mute automation that changes the volume? I can't find anything like that but just in case...

Other ideas? Anything I could check?
Old 01-17-2018, 09:33 AM   #3
ivansc

Lots of possible causes. You have already touched on several, but...
Areas to look at are obviously what the performance meter is doing *when these occur*.
And what are the sounds? existing audio recordings or VSTi output?

Also see if any of your plugins associated with the tracks that crap out are going into demo mode, even if you think you have authorised them. Accidents happen.
My best bet is that you are experiencing note-stealing in some way or other. Normally this is only associated with MIDI generating the audio from VSTi's, but it has been known to happen with buffer overloads.

Your computer should be man enough to cope with most stuff, although from my own experience, that Line6 box is not the greatest tool out there.
So what we actually need to know to go further is, exactly what the sounds on those misbehaving tracks are and how generated, plus it would help if you downloaded and ran resplendence.com's latency checker, with reaper running. This will eliminate any actual computer issues.

Assuming you are on windows and especially if you are on Win10 it could be some update from MS that has messed things up, too.
Oops forgot to ask if you are experiencing this with other projects, or just this one. IF its just this one, try making a new blank project and move your content files over to the new one to see if it makes any difference.

Last edited by ivansc; 01-17-2018 at 12:31 PM.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:05 AM   #4
mavericksound

I had the same issue one time and I'm trying to think of what fixed it.

I believe it may have been either in the preferences>audio>device where I requested the block size of 6000

or in preferences>audio>Buffereing, which in my case is mostly the default settings except for in the Advanced Disk I/O options button at the bottom I have playback as "buffered"
mavericksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 04:44 PM   #5
Andaraginga

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavericksound View Post
I had the same issue one time and I'm trying to think of what fixed it.

I believe it may have been either in the preferences>audio>device where I requested the block size of 6000

or in preferences>audio>Buffereing, which in my case is mostly the default settings except for in the Advanced Disk I/O options button at the bottom I have playback as "buffered"
So, the settings you mentioned are the "good" ones, those that solved your problem?

I checked my settings:

1. Audio 》 Device 》 Request block size
It is not activated, no tack there

2. Audio 》 Device 》 Buffering 》 Advanced Disk...
I have two settings there. They are both the default "Asynchronous buffered" and "Asynchronous".

I will check and play around with the settings next time I am having problems.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:03 PM   #6
Andaraginga

@ivansc

Thanks so far. Will check later. I am on the phone and typing is somewhat diffocult.
I started two answers that each got deleted ;-(