Old 07-12-2018, 03:22 AM   #121
TonE
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai'ke View Post
I'm not sure how this'd work. You'd want all the notes at the break point to be split? And then everything under the split to be muted (unplayed) midi notes? And then when you remove the break, it has to glue it back together again? What about notes that were split before you put the break in? I wouldn't have any way to determine that they shouldn't be glued.
This is meant for a future 'buzz playlist' feature, having there buzz' break feature. It should be a thought experiment how it could be implemented for Reaper, using item split and muting rest from split point until item end. This is what buzz breaks are doing, to my knowledge, in its playlist.

Actually in my Reaper arrange bindings, via vimper, I am using following technique for mouse editing/muting, if I click an item on its upper half it will be muted. Clicking again will unmute, so it is a mute toggle. However you have the right splits available first, then also right item selections. Let me check quickly which actions I am using currently, via vimper, (going looking up bindings), here what it does:

PHP Code:
CustomSPLIT AND TOGGLE MUTE
  Item
Split items at time selection
  Item properties
Toggle mute 
But if I click on the bottom half of an item, it does following auto-loop, in arrange:
PHP Code:
CustomAUTO-LOOP
  Time selection
Set time selection to items
  Item
Split items at time selection
  Item
Glue items
  Script
kawa_MAIN_SetItemEndToNextItemStart_Type2.lua 
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:01 AM   #122
TonE

Showing item selection and tracker following, plus track selection in latest hackey trackey v1.72

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8OdFiFmZSY

Let us mix in some Mathew Jonson here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlPmvw4_uVY

Last edited by TonE; 07-12-2018 at 04:06 AM.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:36 PM   #123
vdubreeze

Can someone point me to a little Midi Tracker For Dummies? : ) This looks like fun but I can't get to first base with it. It's me.

Thanks.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:28 PM   #124
Nixon

Saike thanks for switching tracks and all your efforts

I have one teenie weenie request though...

Is it possible to have a monitoring mode only? (without note entry, but triggering the track just like the virtual piano does)
Nixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:21 PM   #125
TonE

You have it already. In default bindings, hit Control-R (Rec gets yellow), then ESC (Rec gets BLUE). Then have fun.

In some modes this was not working yet, I guess, try with default bindings first. F11, Key mapping, default.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:55 PM   #126
Nixon

Thanks Tone
Nixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 02:40 AM   #127
sai'ke

Hey peeps,

apologies for being relatively inactive the past few weeks. It's been really busy at work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubreeze View Post
Can someone point me to a little Midi Tracker For Dummies? : ) This looks like fun but I can't get to first base with it. It's me.

Thanks.
I would recommend experimenting a lot. What is giving you trouble?

It might make sense to look at some other tracked music, to sort of get a feel for what patterns typically look like and how people tend to group/sort their columns.

F1 brings up a help with the keys. You don't _really_ need them, but shortcuts are quite useful to get fast with the tracker.

Also, hit CTRL + R to arm a track so you hear what you play. I think that's pretty helpful for coming up with new stuff.

CTRL + L loops the pattern you are currently in (but you can also set it to do that automatically in the options if you prefer that).
Old 07-30-2018, 05:29 PM   #128
kmkrebs

I'm really late to this party, but I just installed this script and I'm having the most satisfying Buzz flashbacks. I can't commend you enough on this -- it opens up a brand new method of working in Reaper. Thank you.

Now, if we could ever get a modular effect system built into Reaper...
Old 08-02-2018, 04:09 PM   #129
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmkrebs View Post
I'm really late to this party, but I just installed this script and I'm having the most satisfying Buzz flashbacks. I can't commend you enough on this -- it opens up a brand new method of working in Reaper. Thank you.

Now, if we could ever get a modular effect system built into Reaper...
Thanks man!

I am dinking around with one, but the two workflows don't always map nicely to one another. When/*If* I have a working prototype I'll start a new thread for it, since it is quite a bit different from HT and I don't want to confound the two threads

Old 08-04-2018, 07:12 PM   #130
sai'ke

Getting there

Old 08-04-2018, 09:32 PM   #131
kmkrebs

Well, you just blew my mind.
Old 08-05-2018, 01:28 PM   #132
Lunar Ladder

What. What? What what!

First the tracker and now this.

Sorry, I don't have anything particularly constructive to say, but these are subjectively some of the most exciting scripts I've seen here in a long time, snifff, purely from the creative and geeky and nostalgic and outside of the box awesomeness of it all

Thanks for the tracker script that evolved into an actually useful alternative MIDI view for us tracker old timers, for those times when we have an urge to shift our point of view into tracker land, even for a moment, annnnd thanks for doing these recent routing experiments à la Buzz as well now. Can't wait to try that one when/if it gets there!
Lunar Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 02:52 AM   #133
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Ladder View Post
What. What? What what!

First the tracker and now this.

Sorry, I don't have anything particularly constructive to say, but these are subjectively some of the most exciting scripts I've seen here in a long time, snifff, purely from the creative and geeky and nostalgic and outside of the box awesomeness of it all

Thanks for the tracker script that evolved into an actually useful alternative MIDI view for us tracker old timers, for those times when we have an urge to shift our point of view into tracker land, even for a moment, annnnd thanks for doing these recent routing experiments à la Buzz as well now. Can't wait to try that one when/if it gets there!
Thanks!

I opened a new thread for it with the github link if you want to take it for a spin: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=2019741
Old 08-22-2018, 05:47 AM   #134
TonE

Thanks for the additions, the playlist will be last, it seems.
-tracker
-machines
-playlist

Did not try the machines yet, but I am sure it has some awesome use cases. Can comment again, after trying it, at some point. Thanks sai'ke.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:49 AM   #135
todd_r

Hey, just wanted to say thanks for this. Used to use Buzz and still using Renoise. This and Hackey Machines look great. Excited to see something on Hackey-Patterns

(I've set this as my alt midi editor )
todd_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 11:09 AM   #136
TonE

Would not playlist be a better name than 'patterns'?
Old 09-23-2018, 08:41 AM   #137
hangnef

This is a pretty awesome plugin. I usually rewire Reaper with Renoise, but this is looking to be much easier.

Is there a setting to have the current position bar (the yellow one) still show up after going past 31? Seems to go away once the scrolling starts.

Also, is there a way to only show, say MIDI Ch 1? Other than my electronic drums, I don't use anything other than channel 1.

One thing I'm loving that renoise doesn't have yet is the ability to remap ALL of the keyboard shortcuts, including the keys used for note input. I made a vi keyset and it is pretty nice.

Great stuff, thank you!

Last edited by hangnef; 09-23-2018 at 10:27 AM.
hangnef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 02:10 PM   #138
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangnef View Post
Also, is there a way to only show, say MIDI Ch 1? Other than my electronic drums, I don't use anything other than channel 1.

One thing I'm loving that renoise doesn't have yet is the ability to remap ALL of the keyboard shortcuts, including the keys used for note input. I made a vi keyset and it is pretty nice.
If you switch to Midi Ch 1, all goes to midi channel 1.

Sounds interesting about your keyboard shortcuts, can you share your settings here, so we can imagine or test it as well? Thanks in advance.

I am also wondering what would be the ideal setting for a tracker interface, meaning the best mix of all ideas from the past and future. Did you test the machine view as well?
Old 09-24-2018, 02:59 PM   #139
ReaMike

This looks really interesting. Nice work.
ReaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 01:14 PM   #140
sai'ke

Thanks guys

Quote:
Is there a setting to have the current position bar (the yellow one) still show up after going past 31? Seems to go away once the scrolling starts.
Hm, I'm not quite sure what you mean yet.

In the renoise skin, the yellow bar is the song position that it will start playing from when you hit space. The current play position is a grey-ish bar. The grey-ish bar currently disappears when it goes off the pattern. Whether the current play position is after or before the pattern you are looking at is indicated by the little arrow in the top left.

Do you want an option for the grey bar to stick at the end of the pattern when the play position is beyond the pattern?

Quote:
As Tone said, if out is set to one, all columns send to midi channel one. I could add an option to hide columns if that'd be helpful. Or to allow the window to be resized such that you only see one column rendered (currently there's a minimum width, mostly to keep the bottom bar from rendering on top of each-other in the mode with the fixed width font).
Old 09-26-2018, 05:21 AM   #141
todd_r

Any chance we'd be able to import the machine list from the existing list of VSTs?
Old 09-26-2018, 12:02 PM   #142
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd_r View Post
Any chance we'd be able to import the machine list from the existing list of VSTs?
Is this a question for Hackey Machines? If so, shift + outer mouse button gives you a list based on the lists already present in REAPER by default. The ones found in 'reaper-vstplugins64.ini', 'reaper-vstplugins.ini', 'reaper-fxtags.ini', 'reaper-fxfolders.ini'. They appear both in category and developer sorted versions. The reason I made the other one the default is because there you can have multiple levels of nested menu's.

By the way, there is a dedicated thread for Hackey Machines here now: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=209761&page=2
Old 09-27-2018, 06:02 AM   #143
todd_r

Quote:
Is this a question for Hackey Machines? ...https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=209761&page=2
It was, stuck it in the wrong thread by mistake

Thanks for the reply, and the work!
Old 09-30-2018, 02:01 PM   #144
hangnef

Quote:
Thanks guys

In the renoise skin, the yellow bar is the song position that it will start playing from when you hit space. The current play position is a grey-ish bar. The grey-ish bar currently disappears when it goes off the pattern. Whether the current play position is after or before the pattern you are looking at is indicated by the little arrow in the top left.

Do you want an option for the grey bar to stick at the end of the pattern when the play position is beyond the pattern?

As Tone said, if out is set to one, all columns send to midi channel one. I could add an option to hide columns if that'd be helpful. Or to allow the window to be resized such that you only see one column rendered (currently there's a minimum width, mostly to keep the bottom bar from rendering on top of each-other in the mode with the fixed width font).
Quote:
Thanks guys

Sorry, probably not describing things that well. I've attached some pictures. 1st picture shows what look like 2 yellow lines at the top. One stays put (the beginning loop marker?). The other one starts moving down when I hit play (see 2nd picture).

Before the end of the MIDI clip is hit, the scrolling goes further and there is no yellow line or any kind of marker to know where I am (see 3rd clip). There are still notes in the pattern.

And yes, the ability to hide columns would be great!

thanks again

hangnef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:26 PM   #145
carbon

The tracker paradigm is intriguing although a bit intimidating.
In what situations would the tracker be preferable to the pianoroll way of writing? Or is it just the same, but for numbers orientated people?

Are there any videos that demonstrate the tracker specific situations?
I've heard making breakbeats for an example could be such case for some reason.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:43 AM   #146
TonE

It is the fastest way to edit, in most precise form.
- play without adding anything, ctrl-r, esc (press esc again if you want to place notes/sounds)
- edit, change the octave quickly using 1..7
- simply use a two octave midi keyboard on your qwerty
- shift octaves using ctrl-up/down
- select range, hit ctrl-i for interpolating between first and last value in selection, quickly create glides or any transitions
- add pitch change to a single note, but not the rest of the notes
- add a huge reverb/plate to a single note, but not the rest
- play with filter values on single step granularity

Typically, you are looping a pattern and designing it from ground up, until it suits your imagination and taste. Then do same again and again, in various forms.

Turbo editing in fastest form, most fun. If you want real automation or faster drum hits, you should select 32 steps per bar or 8 steps per beat, and not only 4 steps per beat (resulting only in 16th notes). 32th notes should be enough usually.

You can imagine the tracker interface something like the list editor of Reaper, only much more fun and powerful.

Last edited by TonE; 10-10-2018 at 02:25 AM.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:44 AM   #147
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon View Post
Maybe you know hardware step sequencers. This is then something like that. Only better. You can use F9..F12 for switching among the beat positions quickly. Step sequencers have typically 16 keys, see Elektron devices. You navigate to a step/position/key and modify its values.

Last edited by TonE; 10-10-2018 at 02:22 AM.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:30 AM   #148
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
You can imagine the tracker interface something like the list editor of Reaper, only much more fun and powerful.
Let us hope one day Cockos will replace Reaper's list editor with hackey trackey, in c++. Why? Because its better.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:29 PM   #149
sai'ke

Quote:
Sorry, probably not describing things that well. I've attached some pictures. 1st picture shows what look like 2 yellow lines at the top. One stays put (the beginning loop marker?). The other one starts moving down when I hit play (see 2nd picture).

Before the end of the MIDI clip is hit, the scrolling goes further and there is no yellow line or any kind of marker to know where I am (see 3rd clip). There are still notes in the pattern.

And yes, the ability to hide columns would be great!

Apologies for the late reply. It's been a bit busy on my end. The indicator that shows that you are beyond the end of the pattern is located here:
https://i.imgur.com/4BX0DqU.png

That arrow is not there when your play position is inside the pattern and points in the other direction when you are before it. There's also the toggleable option to follow the pattern while the song is playing (but this can be annoying when editing).

In the latest version I have added that you can make the window smaller than before. This still limits you to a minimum size bigger than something that would smush the bottom bar. If you want to go beyond this, there is now an option (on the default keymapping F11), to allow for an even smaller minimum size (uncheck Force Minimum Size). Now you should be able to drag the window to a single channel size. It will also store the new size when you close the window. Does this solve your issue?
Old 10-11-2018, 01:56 AM   #150
sai'ke

Quote:
The tracker paradigm is intriguing although a bit intimidating.
In what situations would the tracker be preferable to the pianoroll way of writing? Or is it just the same, but for numbers orientated people?

I use both, but I gravitate towards the tracker for coming up with new ideas/melodies/breaks, and then fine tune in the piano roll.

What I personally really like in trackers is:
1. Automatic cutting. You have columns, and when you switch note in a column, it cuts the previous note.
2. It's very keyboard oriented, which for me results in a faster workflow.
3. Column structure. When doing melodies, I usually have specific notes in specific columns, and this forces me to think about which direction the individual notes are moving. Although, there are probably ways to achieve this in a piano roll as well.

It's just another tool. I'm very used to this style of working from the old days, so maybe it just works for me for that reason, I don't know. I'd say, give it a spin. If you like it, use it, if you don't, no harm done.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:12 AM   #151
carbon

That hardware sequencer reference started some connections in my brain.
The computer keyboard is the physical interface instead of Beatstep Pro which I'm used to.

Probably there are lots of stuff that happen unconsciously while using a tool, that still influence the outcome. So it might be a good place for some fresh ideas.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:56 AM   #152
krahosk

sai'ke! I'm late into this party too! Let me say "WOW!". I first started composing music in 1989. It was on the Commodore Amiga, using SoundTracker.
I am amazed at what you did here: This is incredible!
Thank you for your contribution, you've got an ever thankful user here!
krahosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:25 PM   #153
Urban Musiq

Thx! The feeling is definitively there... Hacker's choice. I was totaly addicted to tracking: Milky at the time. I Love these hex values. So nice.
Old 10-13-2018, 03:37 AM   #154
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by krahosk View Post
sai'ke! I'm late into this party too! Let me say "WOW!". I first started composing music in 1989. It was on the Commodore Amiga, using SoundTracker.
I am amazed at what you did here: This is incredible!
Thank you for your contribution, you've got an ever thankful user here!
Same here. 1989, Amiga, ever thankful user...
Old 10-13-2018, 03:47 AM   #155
TonE

Quote:
That hardware sequencer reference started some connections in my brain.
The computer keyboard is the physical interface instead of Beatstep Pro which I'm used to.

Probably there are lots of stuff that happen unconsciously while using a tool, that still influence the outcome. So it might be a good place for some fresh ideas.
Tracker is a good and precise editing interface. If you look at elektron digitakt or digitone, there are buttons and a few knobs. The buttons are here the qwerty. For the knobs you need some midi controllers with knobs. I am using Bitstream 3X and Akai LPD8, sometimes. For playing in you can use any midi keyboard or something smaller and transportable like korg nanopad2 or k-board.

The good thing at hackey trackey is, it is editing same items of Reaper, only in a different way, so you can always ask yourself, would I ever edit in this form if I had not hackey trackey. I can say clearly, no, never ever. Select a few cells, hit shift-numpad +/-. Or select a cell range, hit ctrl-i for interpolating. Or ctrl-shift f1/f2, on renoise keymapping.

For sample work, shortcircuit v1.1.2 is a good partner. You can play samples then backwards, from any point.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:30 AM   #156
Urban Musiq

Default Crash

I experience crashes here on a Lenove S10 when hitting F1, then F11 repeatedly, when hiding the info which extends beyond my screen.

This affects Reaper 5.9.x and 5.6.x on Linux and WinXp, portable install, 32-bit, screen resolution 576x1024. Can anybody confirm this?

- Urban
Old 10-18-2018, 12:57 PM   #157
sai'ke

Hey, thanks for the bug report. That's quite a curious bug. I don't have any ideas what could be causing it yet. I'm having trouble reproducing this locally, but I'm on x64.

What kind of crash is it? Does it hang/lock up or does it cause a segmentation fault (crash). Could you show me the contents of the cfg file in
%APPDATA%\REAPER\Scripts\Tracker tools\Tracker on your windows machine?

Is it just Hackey Trackey or does reaper go down entirely (which should never happen)?

A screencapture might also help if you have the ability to do so.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:31 AM   #158
Urban Musiq

Quote:
[...]
What kind of crash is it? Does it hang/lock up or does it cause a segmentation fault (crash). Could you show me the contents of the cfg file in
%APPDATA%\REAPER\Scripts\Tracker tools\Tracker on your windows machine?
[...]
I have no such file in this location. Maybe that's it?

I loaded the script from an arbitrary folder. It creates 2 files there (attached):
_hackey_trackey_options_.cfg and
_wpos.cfg

It looks like the screen is flickering, like a fast loop maybe trying to resize the window of HT. On Windows I have to kill Reaper; on Linux I have to kill the X-server.

- Urban
Attached Files
File Type: txt _hackey_trackey_options_.cfg.txt (321 Bytes, 129 views)
File Type: txt _wpos.cfg.txt (64 Bytes, 142 views)
Old 10-19-2018, 11:14 AM   #159
TonE

Kink on buzz, to get some ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syuy4iKgVuw
Old 10-19-2018, 01:46 PM   #160
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Musiq View Post
I have no such file in this location. Maybe that's it?

I loaded the script from an arbitrary folder. It creates 2 files there (attached):
_hackey_trackey_options_.cfg and
_wpos.cfg

It looks like the screen is flickering, like a fast loop maybe trying to resize the window of HT. On Windows I have to kill Reaper; on Linux I have to kill the X-server.

- Urban
Hmm, must be an issue with the automatic scaling.

Were you on the latest version (1.80)? I seem to be missing a setting in your cfg file? There was an issue with scaling prior to 1.79. Could you check whether the bug reproduces in that one?

I just uploaded a new version to github (1.81). This one has a flag which can suppress all automatic resizing of the window. It's off by default, but you can check it in the options menu. This can serve as a hotfix.