Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 08-30-2018, 03:38 AM   #41
shosty
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
It isn't really about running a more 'hardcore' distro. I think every distro probably has it's merits, and we should each use whatever best fits us personally.
That was exactly my point, Arch isn't hardcore but there is a reputation and allure for new linux users where they aspire to use Arch and see it as the pinnacle of the linux experience and that they will have achieved something by installing and using it. It certainly does have its merits but it is just one of many great distros and you can learn nearly everything with any of them.

From my own experience I have found KDE Neon to be the most stable I've ever used, far more than xubuntu, kubuntu, arch, manjaro, funtoo.
shosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 08:03 AM   #42
brainwreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by shosty View Post
That was exactly my point, Arch isn't hardcore but there is a reputation and allure for new linux users where they aspire to use Arch and see it as the pinnacle of the linux experience and that they will have achieved something by installing and using it.
Another thing with Arch is that you are choosing and configuring the components which will make up your final system. So you are being exposed to alot of things that you wouldn't otherwise see with a more automated os installer. I think it can be a good thing to see what components are required for this and that functionality, because it gives you a better idea of what to look at in case something goes wrong or if you want to further customize your system. And if you really take your time with it (nay!), you could learn quite a bit along the way.

There is definitely a reputation and allure about Arch, but I think it is blown wayyy out of proportion. You are essentially following instructions in a wiki for setting up your os from a commandline. So while you are getting some exposure to it's components through the wiki, you aren't really learning much of anything about those components through the wiki. But in some cases, along with the exposure, you are pointed to further reading resources if you want to find out more about some specific component.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:29 AM   #43
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwreck View Post
What I said above applies specifically to Ubuntu versions and before the move to Gnome. The desktop slowing and locking up at times, pulseaudio misbehaving, things working intermittently such as wireless (and audio). I didn't move away from Ubuntu in search of something more 'hardcore linux'. I felt that it just wasn't a quality desktop distro. Debian by comparison felt much more, quality. Slackware, too. And Arch. Trying Slackware for a while was about learning a little more about Linux in general. And having used Debian from a minimum net install, without a desktop to begin with, and adding and trying things from there (attempting to keep things minimal and feeling personally managable) naturally lead into trying Arch and finding out what some of it's merits are.

And I didn't go back to see what might have changed after the privacy issues were implemented in Ubuntu (desktop searches going through Canonical, Amazon partnership, comments from Shuttleworth). That just isn't the sort of thing that I expect from a linux distro, and I think it was a disservice to the many people working on and using the distro. Even worse was that Unbuntu was aimed squarely at naive linux beginners. It looked to me that Ubuntu was on a fast path going in a bad direction.

There was a question asked if I wanted to allow telemetry when I installed Xubuntu, and I selected no. From what I've read, that turns it completely off. The couple issues I've had with Pulse were self induced from running various commands in a terminal to get audio configured for low latency with REAPER.

I had the mic input on my motherboard audio configured as a stereo line input for Roku audio from my second video monitor. That and the loopback that needs to be enabled got lost with some command I issued, but once I got audio tweaked for REAPER, I set that back up and am using it now watching MSNBC on the second monitor.

Guess I'll just have to see if any weird stuff happens with this install of Xubuntu. For now it's working great, but I've only been using it on an every day basis for about a month now.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 11:31 AM   #44
fladd

Best distro by far for me at the moment is MX: https://mxlinux.org.
Old 08-30-2018, 11:00 PM   #45
eric71

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
Thanks for mentioning this. It seems I might want to use this instead of Ubuntu Studio (and then just add whatever I want, swap the kernel for a low-latency one). I haven't switched from Windows yet, but will be doing so soon.
Although I use KDE Neon now, I have in the past used MX with a Liquorix kernel from MX's community repo and KXstudio repos added. Yes, you need to set up realtime permissions for your user, but it is a great dstro and with a good community.
eric71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 12:11 AM   #46
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric71 View Post
Yes, you need to set up realtime permissions for your user
Depending on if you can sudo and where limits.conf is located on the distro, this could be as easy as these 2 commands:

echo "$USER - rtprio 98" | sudo tee --append /etc/security/limits.conf > /dev/null
echo "$USER - memlock unlimited" | sudo tee --append /etc/security/limits.conf > /dev/null

Edit: And to find where to add this in case your distro does something else: grep -R rtprio /etc
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)

Last edited by Jack Winter; 08-31-2018 at 05:59 AM.
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 06:31 AM   #47
SmajjL

I seemed to have settled with Manjaro (Arch based) Cinnamon, and will go KDE when their beta is over, think one can open images and theme yourself (easy?) there, .svg even I think..
And AUR is huuuuge.
Mint have a beta of Debian if anyone did not know.

SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 12:00 PM   #48
korakios

@audiojunkie it was very interesting reading that you also have touchscreen.
I am about to go for gnome 3 exactly for that reason . Beside the wine issues , where there any other bugs with audio native applications? (Did you had KXStudio repos enabled?)
Haven’t tried gnome since ages ....

Xfce (on AVLinux) seems for me the best ,it’s fast/light but highly customizable and very nice. But for sure no touch friendly....

I also have kde neon with plasma installed , it seems stable (at last!) ,somehow faster than previous kde plasma versions and beautiful , plus you can customize stuff a bit for better touch experience . But when I switch to Xfce and click on something , boom , it’s on your face (well screen) immediately...
Old 09-07-2018, 09:16 PM   #49
Snap

KDE has been always tagged to be fat and slow, though that has never been my experience. I haven't touched KDE5 since its early stages but used KDE4 for a good long while. I never found that my (former) KDE systems were noticeably slower than the xfce ones. Of course, right out of the box vanilla KDE doesn't feel specially fast and sleek as is. But properly tweaked and configured it is/was blazingly fast. Almost instant, like xfce is. I bet KDE5 shouldn't be different.

This mostly involves disabling all the fancy effects from kwin and some cruft in system settings. Keep in mind that visual effects need some time to happen or there will be no effects to see, and this unavoidably slow things down. So yeah, get rid of all those effects, let kwin run untied and you'll see KDE fly.

IIRC, typically KDE4 used around 500 to 600 MB of RAM at fresh boot in many distros, but It was easy to get it in the neighbourhood of 400 MB. The thinnest KDE4 I've seen was KaOS loading the system a tad under 400 MB, but I've never managed to get it that low on my own systems. They say KDE5 does it around 400MB already. I guess it can be made thinner and somewhat comparable to what xfce takes with some tweaks.

My main complaint in those days was plasma. It started using about 75 MB of RAM at boot and in a little time it started to grow and used to reach 1 GB on its own. They say it's way lighter on resources now. I would like to know what are the KDE5 users experience in this regard.

Last edited by Snap; 09-07-2018 at 09:22 PM.
Snap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 12:17 AM   #50
korakios

I suggest kde neon for plasma experience. The speed improvement is noticeable at older cpus , and the memory usage is almost half . But it depends on the amount of widgets you add
Most important thing for me is , it’s way more stable now .
Haven’t tried Wayland much ....
Old 09-08-2018, 12:27 AM   #51
Jack Winter

Isn't KDE Neon just an Ubuntu distribution, with recent KDE software? I mean it's the same KDE that you can run on other distros?

I'm a long time KDE user on Archlinux, and like it. I haven't tried any other DE/WM for a long time though, so it's hard to say what performs better.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:16 AM   #52
audiojunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by korakios View Post
@audiojunkie it was very interesting reading that you also have touchscreen.
I am about to go for gnome 3 exactly for that reason . Beside the wine issues , where there any other bugs with audio native applications? (Did you had KXStudio repos enabled?)
Haven’t tried gnome since ages ....

Xfce (on AVLinux) seems for me the best ,it’s fast/light but highly customizable and very nice. But for sure no touch friendly....

I also have kde neon with plasma installed , it seems stable (at last!) ,somehow faster than previous kde plasma versions and beautiful , plus you can customize stuff a bit for better touch experience . But when I switch to Xfce and click on something , boom , it’s on your face (well screen) immediately...
There weren't really any bugs or problems. My frustrations have been more with the Gnome 3 interface dumbing things down to the point to where it gets to be a pain, if that makes sense. For example, because Gnome3 assumes you will always use repositories, there is no built in way to create your own launchers. You have to create/edit a config file with 10 lines of info. Yes, I know that there's nothing to that, but as advanced as Gnome is, Gnome should have a better way implemented to do that.

Even worse, All apps are thrown together in one big mess of applications. If it's not a favorite, frequently used or if you can't remember the name of the app, then you have to go searching through pages upon pages of apps to find the icon for the app you want to use. Yes, there is a workaround for grouping apps, and yes there is an extension that allows you to have everything show up in a menu at the top, but if you are going to use a menu at the top, then why not use something like XFCE? There needs to be a way to group apps better in Gnome3 so that it works more efficiently. These are the two nitpicks that bother me about Gnome3. I know it isn't much, and I know that there are perfectly workable solutions (workarounds) to my complaints, but it's the overall philosophy behind Gnome3 that bugs me the most.

Their attempts to simplify things for users ends up in many cases creating more work for the user--thus not truly simplifying things, but rather making things harder. I hope that makes sense. :-) Other than that, it's a fine Desktop Environment. :-)

Edit: WINE hasn't really given me any problems. I haven't dug too much into WINE yet--I'm still learning. You may be referring to my XWayland concerns?

KXStudio works fine for me! :-)

As I mentioned above, my frustrations that I had when I started this thread were more with the Gnome3 philosophy--it seems they sometimes take it too far, and "throw the baby out with the bathwater". They go so far in their attempts to make things easier, that they actually make things harder. I was really frustrated the day that I started this thread. I've since had time to cool off and think about things. Gnome3 is a good OS. I DO think they go too far with their philosophy, but my complaints are minimal with the DE, really. I do like it, except for some dumb omissions the developers chose to make in the name of keeping it simple. :-)

Last edited by audiojunkie; 09-09-2018 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Forgot to answer some questions
audiojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 03:17 AM   #53
korakios

Well I tried gnome 3 and sure it's touch friendly but realized that there is no DE that will offer the same experience for touch as Windows10 (or 8.1)...

So went back to XFCE (AVLinux) and installed touchegg ,everything is just working (with keyboard and mouse)

Fortunately ,trying some apps like Bitwig , Stagelight (couldn't get Caustic to work), multitouch always works
Old 09-11-2018, 07:46 AM   #54
UlrichH

No DE, only i3-gaps on a ArchLinux. Works wonder (for me obviously).
UlrichH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:01 PM   #55
s wave

Default Linux mint 19 'Tara' Cinnamon Desktop Enviroment; kernel 18.04

Native Linux Reaper (Beta) is working extremely well with the new CINNAMON DE. No complaints - nothing but praise for new native linux platform effort. Here is how I got Reaper going quickly... a) Installed Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon 64 bit ver. on AMD build: cpu 8320e mobo m5a97. b) installed jack2 AND qjackctl (GUI) via the software manager. c) Downloaded 'Reaper Native Linux'. That was it, when I hit the qjackctl start button then double clicked Reaper... Reaper was up and running. Linux Mint Cinnamon 64 bit is looking very encouraging. ...other notes... I used GPT for partition table (with lvm2 enabled) Ext4. Reaper still worked when I took the hard drive out and put it in a Win 8 UEFI laptop. ALSO used the 2nd second generation interface'; Focusrite Scarlett Solo and it worked flawless with Reaper on both systems with no adjustments. just plugged and played. I will be testing various plug-ins and Thanks again, contact me if I can be of help to anyone. s wave
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:33 AM   #56
SmajjL

Manjaro KDE (18.0-beta-6) seems to finally have the last nitpick obsticle for me working, and one I had to find out myself and that was, where did AUR stuff go in Octopi? I know it's beta but, Hello?

Install Trizen, Trizen AUR Package Manager: A lightweight wrapper for AUR.

Correction:
So, I am officially using Manjaro now, happy.
Cinnamon maby, we'll see, miss it already, more smiley-happy-soft-enviroment-easy on the eyes and little snappier.. and absolutely eeeeverything works there, hmmm.

Last edited by SmajjL; 09-15-2018 at 10:15 AM.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:15 AM   #57
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
Manjaro KDE (18.0-beta-6) seems to finally have the last nitpick obsticle for me working, and one I had to find out myself and that was, where did AUR stuff go in Octopi? I know it's beta but, Hello?
I would recommend installing pamac. Much better than Octopi and allows you to search the AUR as well.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 10:24 AM   #58
SmajjL

Ok, then I will, like right now.
Miss Cinnamon's enviroment though, and might go back soon, will give KDE a day and try different themes/icons, read about KDE vs Cinn might help, not sure yet.
Thanks Klang

Edit:

Ah-ha, that's the one Cinnamon flavour uses, so that's pamac, agreed! I prefeer that one also.

Last edited by SmajjL; 09-15-2018 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:00 PM   #59
SmajjL

Quote:
.. and absolutely eeeeverything works there, hmmm.
Bitwig for example is supporting Ubuntu and you kinda know how change kernels don't you? anything else you can learn?
And you liked Cinnamon/MATE did you day?

Last edited by SmajjL; 09-15-2018 at 09:42 PM.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:39 PM   #60
s wave

Default Yes Cinnamon is good DE (for mint 18 and 19) and REAPER

I used KDE a while ago and personally it was not intuitive for me. I went for CINNAMON DE because of ever increasing popularity and because of the GNOME fork capabilities... they seem to work (or i can always get a quick workaround if needed) The other reason I went for it, is for the interface compatibility. I believe Focusrite interfaces work extremely well on linux recording set ups. AND they have worked great with the MINT OS flavors. (Did have some road bumps with 'pulse' audio just a matter of stopping its aggressiveness) I would love to get the Clarett preamps... they stack up well against real pro studio sounds imo. Good luck with Manjaro good OS. I will be testing the recently released LMDE 3 (Linux Mint Debian Edition) "Cindy" just for future proofing against the future ?availability? of the Ubuntu kernel. REAPER + MINT CINNAMON + FOCUSRITE Interfaces... a winning combination.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:51 AM   #61
SmajjL

Quote:
Bitwig for example is supporting Ubuntu and you kinda know how change kernels don't you? anything else you can learn?

Yes, use archalien to convert Bitwig.deb into a .pkg.tar.gz and then install Cadence as it has has JACK and stuff along with it anyway.
Might need to get jack-dbus also though if BW can't find audio, and ALSA will just work.

So, looks like I can & will stay with Manjaro and my, Babyface Pro can run in class compliant mode, should work on all kinds of Linux if you can go that way.
Mint is well done though, think you can be very happy there also.

*Off to setup all stuff, make myself comphy.
Ps.. I am little unstable in the head about what visual tech enviroment..

Edit:

KDE seems to support and look HiDPI way better and have more options, the oxygen icon/folders is oh-lala just that it by default ask what I want when i drag files is, thank you. KDE is winning me over, just need to look for for more themes/icons and maby learn how exactly to theme "yourself.
Thank you for your patience with me

Last edited by SmajjL; 09-16-2018 at 03:47 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:13 PM   #62
s wave

Default I will have to look into KDE DE again...

Yes Smajjl... Its a good time for open source so many ways to go! Can not go wrong with Manjaro OS ... I just got "Speek" vst going natively, slid right into REAPERS Vst library. It is that old vocoder with presets of robots old lady gorilla voices... worth downloading for some ideas and laughs. Don't forget about FEDORA 28 or Fedora Jam OS... nice Logical Volume Manager LVM... and yes Cinnamon is ported to both and work well... I really like Fedora for midi controller setups and looping and Jack compatibility and LVM... I got a 20? year old Yamaha KSX61 humming with 'BRISTOL' soft synth... mind blowing if you loop into a mini moog to DX7 and into a Hammond B3 organ.... (Jack of course with alsa) I will try connect the REAPER hard drive into my home made midi controller pc (am2-am3). I will bet that reaper will work on it... If it does good I might have to choose between Fedora and Mint. Staying with CINNAMON DE for now though. Tc Smajjl... keep posting - s wave
Old 09-17-2018, 10:38 PM   #63
SmajjL

Linux is moving along yep.
Debian is now the distro I know the least about strangelly enough, would not mind if there was a KDE neon DE because, think I shall become a fanboii of KDE and would like to try a Debian at the same time.
Fedora Jam OS? heh, I had no clue about that one.

I would like to continue learning Linux stuff so, I don't chose a distro because of pre-installed software per say and that KXStudio repo is Ubuntu/Debian compatible anyway.

No clue what a Yamaha KSX61 is and Google had problems also.
Sound like you are having fun with Linux to me.
Ah yeah btw, you reminded me somehow, I must get/try the synths from uhe, think they are more updated now, how could I forget?.. *slap!*
This is so much fun, trying/learning linux stuff.

Old 09-18-2018, 01:42 AM   #64
SmajjL

Eum, https://community.kde.org/Distributions#Arch_Linux
Gonna have a look at netrunner.

Edit: No i'm not, won't even boot.. Next! ..
Edit2: Neptune was interesting, but, it had interesting bugs also.. Next!

Last edited by SmajjL; 09-18-2018 at 04:34 AM.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:20 AM   #65
s wave

Default Reaper misc notes and ideas...

Good work smajjl. The KSX61 was a work horse midi controller/Synth made by yamaha...ran on CUBASE 4 (OS which i do not have). It contains 20 years of the top yamaha sound (fonts). Motif dx7 etc. I got it working with Fedeora and Linux Mint. 'Bristol' can not be missed it is excellent free soft synth, if you do not have midi controller just use your pc keyboard, Bristol contains almost every synth sound ever made with virtual GUI. Moving on... Fedora does have just core os download if needed. I believe it is around 700 megabytes? If you want to compile config your own. Fedora is also blessed with RPM package manager which many consider the best. I should also mention my friend who is computer science whiz... Uses i-3 then fedora respectively. I highly value his opinion. i-3 is archbase with possibly the cleanest configuration. sleek an fast. Has 9 or 10 workspaces with movable tabs between the workspaces- it is terminal/console based great for programmers. A little over my head but i like it - at this time I kinda need a DE with a more novice interface. AND I looked at U-He but foresaw some potential hiccups... I will wait with that plug in... I have been happy with bristol, lmms and my simple soft synth setups... they just work. REAPER has been a real eyeopener for me. The plugins are awesome. I am concentrating on recording the more complex sound signals like the human voice and Instruments with more timbre, violins nice synths etc. REAPER has THESE types of plug ins... in spades, I can now find the sweetspot easier on vocal tracks. Final note... I enabled auto start for JACK2 upon start up of REAPER (start up preferences I believe) and works. I do not know if all of this is because of Linux Mint 19 or the new Cinnamon DE... But everything i have tried has worked so far. Let me know what you find out about U-he as well as what new enviroments you are finding good or bad. tc friend. If possible tell me about your main purpose for the set-up? Music? Podcasts? Sound engineering?
Old 09-18-2018, 02:10 PM   #66
SmajjL

So I was born with Windows and have Windows10, good computer and all that, all is fine there really and everything works, really.
I am not using REAPER as a taperecorder simply, not recording audio, more producing/playing with VST & Samples ala the EDM direction, create sounds, mess around, remixing is fun to.

I was curious some time ago and tried Linux and figured might as well try and learn in my own phase, have it around, it Turns Out that I can get Most stuff working, now, and I prefeer the Linux enviroment and the thought about/behind it.
I mess around with GIMP anyway also and surfing/chatting watch movies is obviously no issue.

I have a Maschine Mikro MK2 that I can forget on Linux, atleast, I gave up.. got an AKAI MPK mini MK2 instead so I have something easy (small) to put on the table with Linux, but the pads needs modding.
The EQ from Babyface Pro is what I am missing now, looking into how to replace that, have not got an ALSA EQ working yet.

Have we hijacked this thread?? ahh, only borrowed, oki

I might be doing something wrong with LMDE3 as it get stuck with the logo on boot, maby a root password thing they talked about, added, not sure, feel free to enlighten me.
I will revisit Mint again now that I know what I need with Manjaro KDE still as my best (personal taste) reference they did a good job seems to be my conclusion I am HiDPI biased though.

And yes sir! I will have a look at Bristol, thank you for the tip/hints, I did not know and have yet to try all the Linux stuff.
On Manjaro KDE, you can scroll the workspace up/down I noticed, very fast and useful.
U-he Diva seems to be working is my 5 minute review
https://www.reddit.com/r/UheOnLinux/

Old 09-19-2018, 12:03 PM   #67
s wave

Default reaper: WAVOSAUR vst works in native linux

Yes sorry if this was hijacked thread... Ok i got where you are coming from...nice to have baby face, excellent preamps... I ditched windows years ago... tired of the auto-your-life updates lol. Got Wavosaur running now thats fun! I am currently working on altermative international edm dance song. So yes I am in the same area you are. I am looking for quality plugins-quick editing as well as graphic audio editing such as izotope and spectral wave type things. If you are trying to get the baby face pro EQ rolling...RME has a fairly strong history of Linux support and as for your EQ - Have you tried to just open a new folder... call it vst eq... then direct REAPER to scan that folder? that is what i am doing to great success... if its a windows exe then maybe you go wine/winetricks route. Not too familiar with RME filters or plugins. Above my budget for now. ONE IMPORTANT THING I remember is many linux os need to have root priority or real time scheduling allowed!! RT scheduling is more important than RT Kernel for getting it going... One time i just had to up the RT schedule from like 00 to 11 or higher. Pulse can get in the way if its enabled - I used kill pulse command for that., You do have the alsa mixer GUI loaded? the alsa configuration has stopped me on more than one OS, and the mixer will fix that. I am alsa fan...
I do not like pulse... Hey I will take look at lmde 3 soon. s wave
Old 09-19-2018, 01:51 PM   #68
SmajjL

It is nice to have headphones loud and being able to hear 0 noise and it is nice to being able to have very low latency, if any other brand can do that, then well I would be happy with that also and I bet there is? I just cant afford to buy them all and try.

I totally get it if people are reacting on Windows, but for now I take it all as, atleast they are not hideing it, just the opposite LoL and that is to me principly a good thing.. but I understand..

I have not tried to do any Winetricks installing stuff with Wine yet nope, not sure I am in that mood atm I will have a Linux break and play with music again for a while on Windows I think.
Thank you for trying to help and funny, I installed something, jack2-dbus instead of jack-dbus and this time it asked to install/config RT, and it seemed to work fine, with no RT kernel installed.. and Cadence stopped complaining about no jack bus and Cadence can stop pulse also I think.

I am pretty sure it is me, not LMDE3 though, so next time I will go to BIOS and shut down all drives except one and let LMDE3 install automatically, do its thing the way it likes it.
Thanks! )

Last edited by SmajjL; 09-19-2018 at 01:59 PM. Reason: spelling championships master.... :)
Old 09-19-2018, 09:37 PM   #69
s wave

Default Heaphone reply

The cheapest usable headphones are:
Audio-Technica ATH-M20x Professional Studio Monitor Headphones 15hz-20khz
$39 or BEHRINGER HPS5000 20hz-20khz $29.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:55 PM   #70
SmajjL

I have Sennheizer HD595 atm and I am used to them, anyway, good news!
Since yesterday I started meditation and I got some energy..
I disabled all drives except the Linux one and managed to install LMDE3!
It's a miracle!
Will see how far I can go with that and what I will miss, if anything, Mint sure looks good.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:53 PM   #71
s wave

Default I will check the DEs on lmde3...as soon as i can

Glad to hear you got LMDE goin' The senns are nice. I am using old metal detector headphones RLOL. I am missing all bass under like 100hz...Ad I am misxing alt EDM haha np i am using meters. I am into lucid dreamin and meditation heavily... Just finished book 528hz the love frequency (good for sound engineers) and the Physics of Miracles. Just had road bump with new HDrive wasn't backward compatible with sata 2.0! Changed SATA controller 3.0 good 2 go. I have heard this happen to a few people. Anyway I just transferred REAPER native linux to Mint CINNAMON 19 with full updates... running on all cylinders. YES I installed MINT with Logical Volume Management. Someone uses 3 identical hards drive and run them in stripped down LVM says its better than RAID. 3X faster. Oh almost forgot I also loaded the new TIMESHIFT for tracking errors with screenshots... working good with REAPER... gl with 'CINDY' I am dating "Tamara' for now lol!
Old 09-20-2018, 09:56 PM   #72
s wave

Default CATIA would be nice too

I would love to get workaround with CATIA sound server program... fast and nice GUI for connecting MIDIS synths etc... maybe LMDE has it? More intuitive than JACK.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:36 PM   #73
SmajjL

Well, right now SmajjL is on Ubuntu again, going for the ppa-blabla way and stuff.

My date is Ubuntu MATE now.
When I installed kxstudio's repo last time on Ubuntu, I just installed REAPER and Bitwig running ALSA no problem and no tweaks from me, will see now if that will happen on MATE.
Cadence has tool options also and there is an experimental setting for MIDI wires.

Edit: Jepp, did not have to do nada.. ALSA just works
And.. using HiDPI mode on Ubuntu MATE, makes REAPER HiDPI large also, but not KDE Manjaro for ex.. hmm..

Edit2: Couple of app crashes later, I picked up Mint MATE.. look at that, Yeah!! now we are talking, and REAPER works out of the box with ALSA, did not install anything at all on purpose, and REAPER reacts on HiDPI there also, haleluljah! if this means a stop of my distro hopping.
- - -
Final quick look at Cinnamon for comparison, nope, just that Mint MATE's menu can be tweaked more and even enlarge icons is mm-mm-mmh!
Game over! I am getting a Mint MATE Tatoo!

Last edited by SmajjL; 09-21-2018 at 08:39 AM.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:35 AM   #74
DreamScatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UlrichH View Post
No DE, only i3-gaps on a ArchLinux. Works wonder (for me obviously).
Yes, same here I am only using the i3 window manager, but I also have sway and wayland installed.
DreamScatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:03 PM   #75
SmajjL

Menu->Preferences->Appearence->Theme->Mint-Y-Dark->Customize->Icons (Mint-X-Dark)
Ohh, nobody asked, oki..

Old 09-23-2018, 08:46 PM   #76
s wave

Default Cinnamon or Mate ...

or mint latte... both nice DEs. Mate might look a little more studio like for most?... I like the PPA maybe lil better in Cinn... definite toss up. (there is awesome straight desktop... black something - very sharp looking D. when i find it I will post... used alot on Kali and others. Hope I can find it. To me was only 21st century modern look. will try hard to find it - think u will like it smajjl peace/
Old 09-23-2018, 09:04 PM   #77
SmajjL

"Stop the music! did you say Latte? where? please gimmi a link!
Ah yeah, Manjaro have Awsome in the community flavours, such a shame Bitwig is more Ubuntu/Debian compatible and one haveto rely on the big scary AUR or use that archalien to convert, and archalien is maby not maintained anymore.. anyway, this was the main reason why I went Ubuntu and REAPER works on Manjaro no problem, why?
Much to learn ahead on Linux, fun.

Old 09-24-2018, 12:12 AM   #78
Klangfarben

Quote:
such a shame Bitwig is more Ubuntu/Debian compatible and one haveto rely on the big scary AUR or use that archalien to convert, and archalien is maby not maintained anymore.. anyway, this was the main reason why I went Ubuntu and REAPER works on Manjaro no problem, why?
I've had pretty good luck with Debtap for creating install packages on Manjaro for Ubuntu/Debian based software. Haven't tried Archalien so I don't know if one is better than the other but Debtap is fairly updated vs archalien.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 02:13 AM   #79
SmajjL

Really? then I shall try this and Awsome at the same time, thanks Klang for letting me know.

It also helps if the maintainers nickname is not TotalDestruction and 'stuff like that, just saying.

Edit:

It wooorked!!! it's aliiIiIive (insert Mountains & Echoes)
Thanks Klang & Helixarch
Back on Manjaro KDE again.. lol

Last edited by SmajjL; 09-24-2018 at 03:35 AM.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:32 AM   #80
bulevardi

Using Linux Mint Cinnamon, I think version 19 or so.