Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-17-2017, 05:39 AM   #11
Time Waster
Human being with feelings

Default Just thinking out loud:

One of the issues with doing a patch bay in JSFX is that for the patch bay to work, each instance of any module will need a unique identifier. This would probably need to be set manually. I don't know of any way doing that automatically.

All of the modules would need to share a common named space of global memory (currently each module type shares a unique named space, which is used for the master/slave function). The unique identifier would then be used to specify the area of global memory to be used by each module instance. The type of data stored in global memory would be: a unique name for the module (could be the type of module + a number, e.g "LFO 4"); an identifier for each CC input or output; the CC number assigned to each input or output.

The Matrix module would then read form global memory and use the data to populate the matrix. I'm guessing that those who want a matrix would like to assign the patching from the matrix? I think it might be difficult to be able to choose either/or. That might require a master/slave function for the matrix. If the matrix was the slave, it would just be used to display the patching.

I haven't done any scripting in Lua, so I have no idea, but I'm wondering if that might be better than JSFX for making a matrix or patch bay?

Personally, I think a matrix paradigm is a complication that will limit the flexibility of the system and increase the CPU overheads, for little real benefit, but always happy to be convinced otherwise.

Hint: If you need help keeping track of which module controls what, edit the name of the FX instance and include the relevant input/output CC numbers that you have assigned. That will save you a few mouse clicks checking back and forth to see which CCs you have used. It's probably most useful to label the control module output CCs (generally there is only one output). It is usually the control outputs that you need to refer back to.