Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 07-09-2018, 11:09 AM   #1
Burnsjethro
Human being with feelings

Default Deleting a guitar solo smoothly!

Help please. I have a song with two guitar solos, one after another.
I deleted the second one but the transition from the end of the solo into the next verse is not really very smooth (it's OK but there a slighty wierd but mild glitch. Do I fix this with cross fades, or is there any way I can roll the second solo away, to speak until I get a smoother sound?
Anton
Burnsjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:38 AM   #2
Stella645

Haven't you got your solo on it's own track?

Doing it this way you can cut the start of the verse tight but still fade the end of the solo to overlap it as necessary. If the glitch is in the solo track then see if you can find another note to paste over it or timestretch the one you have so you can fade before the glitch.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:32 PM   #3
Burnsjethro

Thanks Stella.

A friend sent a recording from English, played the first solo and then repeated the rhythm section to enable me to play a second solo. I tried various solos but then decided just to play a kind of riff throughout(on a separate track) and cut out the part where my solo was supposed to be, so where my part was supposed to be is not on a separate track.

Anton
Old 07-10-2018, 02:16 AM   #4
Stella645

Still not entirely sure I understand what you mean.

So the first solo is already mixed with the backing track and the glitch is where you cut the whole thing?
Is the glitch is because you've cut into a sustaining note that overlaps the cut?

Maybe you can shift the cut point after the glitch point if the backing is otherwise a repeat of the previous section...hard to know without hearing and seeing what you mean.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:38 AM   #5
Burnsjethro

Thanks to getting back to me Stella.

A bit difficult to explain.
The track is a 12-bar blues
Myfriend recorded his voice, a backing guitar riff and a guitar solo on three different tracks (using some recording device) and this must have been rendered to one track (although in fact it looks like stereo, with identical tracks).
He played his solo and then left a space, immediately afterwards, for me to add a solo. I decided my solo would be surplus to requirements but added bass guitar and another backing riff. As I said, I wanted to cut out ths space earmarked for me but it left a bit of glitch (me being a bit incompetent I suppose). I wondered if there were any way of kind of peeling back a segment of the track, or moving back and forth until I get a better alignmment (while the track is actually playing as well, if possible)!

I suppose the best thing to do is to go back to the earlier version and keep on cutting and undoing cutting until I get the right one!

Anton
Old 07-10-2018, 05:40 AM   #6
Stella645

OK...so if the glitch is because of timing then you need to make the cuts in better position in the first place.
If timing feels right and it's due to hanging notes being cut, you might try sliding the join earlier or later and/or using crossfade.

You shouldn't need to go back to another version unless you re-rendered the files, nothing is actually cut...just lengthen or shorten the events you have there.