Old 04-23-2020, 03:26 PM   #1
gabrielwolf
Human being with feelings

Default HOA video files in Reaper

1. It seems, Reaper is only able to import video up to 8 channel audio, more channels are being discarded. Do you face the same results?

2. It would be awesome if there was a HOA movie format. Matroska could be a candidate. I muxed a H.264 video stream with a 24bit 96kHz third order Ambisonics wave file and ffprobe displayed all channels and data as expected. Maybe Matroska is already a fine HOA film format, waiting for a clever player / decoder?

3. Years ago I built a cubic array, and now I'm rediscovering Ambisonics via HRTF and head tracking (https://github.com/trsonic/nvsonic-head-tracker). It's amazing. Unfortunately there is no option on YouTube or Facebook to use head tracking without the VR thing and it's limited to first order.

Sorry for mixing three different thread themes into one. I'm new here :-)

Best,
Gabriel
gabrielwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 08:08 AM   #2
Kewl

Hopefully, MPEG-H should take care of that: Scene-Based Audio and Higher Order Ambisonics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mkv_mpeg-h_vlc.jpg (59.9 KB, 382 views)

Last edited by Kewl; 04-24-2020 at 08:19 AM.
Kewl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 09:33 PM   #3
tdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielwolf View Post

Thanks for a great post with some new literature to digest Gabriel!

Couldn't you just extract the movie and audio files in another app and then import both assets separately ?
tdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 12:27 PM   #4
Voyage Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielwolf View Post
1. It seems, Reaper is only able to import video up to 8 channel audio, more channels are being discarded. Do you face the same results?

2. It would be awesome if there was a HOA movie format. Matroska could be a candidate. I muxed a H.264 video stream with a 24bit 96kHz third order Ambisonics wave file and ffprobe displayed all channels and data as expected. Maybe Matroska is already a fine HOA film format, waiting for a clever player / decoder?

3. Years ago I built a cubic array, and now I'm rediscovering Ambisonics via HRTF and head tracking (https://github.com/trsonic/nvsonic-head-tracker). It's amazing. Unfortunately there is no option on YouTube or Facebook to use head tracking without the VR thing and it's limited to first order.

Best,
Gabriel
Hi Gabriel,

1. Reaper can actually do up to 7th order ambisonics (64 channels)!
2. I have successfully used .mkv in the Oculus Gallery app.
3. Youtube is 1st order and Facebook accepts up to 3rd order, but I believe playback is 2nd (maybe future proof here?). Anyway, these uploaded videos are headtracked if you watch with VR device.

We have a tutorial over here showing how to sync Spatial Audio with 360 video. There is a Reaper session on that page available for download.

https://voyage.audio/how-to-sync-spa...-360-vr-video/
Old 05-04-2020, 03:35 PM   #5
gabrielwolf

Thank you for your response, and sorry for being late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdc View Post
Thanks for a great post with some new literature to digest Gabriel!
You're welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdc View Post
Couldn't you just extract the movie and audio files in another app and then import both assets separately ?
I created both, video and audio myself, and wanted to combine them into a single file in order to deliver my short film to an Ambisonics savy audience, that uses Reaper as an advanced media player.
Old 05-04-2020, 03:37 PM   #6
gabrielwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyage Audio View Post
Hi Gabriel,

1. Reaper can actually do up to 7th order ambisonics (64 channels)!
2. I have successfully used .mkv in the Oculus Gallery app.
3. Youtube is 1st order and Facebook accepts up to 3rd order, but I believe playback is 2nd (maybe future proof here?). Anyway, these uploaded videos are headtracked if you watch with VR device.

We have a tutorial over here showing how to sync Spatial Audio with 360 video. There is a Reaper session on that page available for download.

https://voyage.audio/how-to-sync-spa...-360-vr-video/
First, thank you very much for the tutorial and the demo sessions.

1. I still did not manage to use Reaper as 3rd order player yet. (Import of the mkv results in 8 channels...) Any Ideas?
2. That's awesome. Unfortunately I don't own any VR gear, yet. May I send you the mkv file for testing?
3. 2nd order is good news! I'll experiment and convert my film to FB360.
Old 05-05-2020, 01:13 PM   #7
Voyage Audio

Oh I see you are trying to Import a video with 8 embedded audio channels — not sure about the Reaper limitations here. Perhaps there is another part of this forum that deals more with video?