CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 04-20-2006, 10:12 AM   #1
yanhl
Human being with feelings

Default Kicking, voting system

Hello,

Can anyone tell me how to kick a user ? How to do with an anonymous user ?

I'd also like to know why the !vote doesn't work ? Can anonymous users vote by default ? How does it work exactly ?

Ninjam is very cool but... ninjam with a real doc would be much better ;-)
yanhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 02:30 PM   #2
Leumas

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanhl
Hello,

Can anyone tell me how to kick a user ? How to do with an anonymous user ?

I'd also like to know why the !vote doesn't work ? Can anonymous users vote by default ? How does it work exactly ?

Ninjam is very cool but... ninjam with a real doc would be much better ;-)
at the moment you can't kick a user, unfortunatly

as for the voting command "!vote bpm 120" will set a vote for changing the bpm to 120
"!vote bpi 16" will set a vote for changing the bpi to 16

Hope this helps, and some for of documentation might be on its way soon

Dave.
Leumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 12:16 PM   #3
cryptomail

Default Kick is restricted to "admins"

At the moment, you are correct.
Kick is restricted to administrators who are currently NINJAM'ing.
Anonymous users (which is about 90% of the users on NINJAM) don't have that ability.

However, there could be a voting option to accomplish this, to get people "voted off the island" if you will heh.
Regarding this voting process, I would say this though:
There should maybe/probably be a minimum threshold of users before getting voted off is even allowed

I'm thinking the absolute min would 3, otherwise you'd be 1vs1 and kicking eachother stupidly , and I'm not even sure of 3 really.
After all this "how it could be done" BS,....

We must all remember that NINJAM really is about collaboration, not punishment.
That's the true spirit of it.
Users must at least TRY to add good, salient content, and not berate orthers to the point that they get get considered for getting voted off. Furthermore, if your tolerance is really tested, there's always the mute button.

So, after that vassilation, I personally still don't know how important the voting kick is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leumas
at the moment you can't kick a user, unfortunatly

as for the voting command "!vote bpm 120" will set a vote for changing the bpm to 120
"!vote bpi 16" will set a vote for changing the bpi to 16

Hope this helps, and some for of documentation might be on its way soon
cryptomail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 03:45 PM   #4
yanhl

well in fact, kicking is not about punishment for me too. but there are often fake players who only listen to the others, or do anything else, i don't know. anyway, when the users limit is reached, it'd be nice to kick these users.

but the REALLY important point was about the bpm/bpi thing. and i still don't know why we can't change this. any idea ?
yanhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 12:35 AM   #5
cryptomail

Default you can change it

You can change it.
just type "!vote BPI X" in the chat portion
or !vote BPM X
You need a simple majority to get that to take effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanhl
well in fact, kicking is not about punishment for me too. but there are often fake players who only listen to the others, or do anything else, i don't know. anyway, when the users limit is reached, it'd be nice to kick these users.

but the REALLY important point was about the bpm/bpi thing. and i still don't know why we can't change this. any idea ?

Last edited by cryptomail; 05-18-2006 at 12:36 AM. Reason: even more specific
cryptomail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 11:27 PM   #6
johnny

In my opinion 3 is a good number when there are 2-6 users in a channel, but with some restrictions. If someone modifies the client in a bot that only kicks the new users, you get an efficient channel blocker. Why should anyone want to do that is another question...
Restrictions should be picked wisely. Maybe 10 positive kick votes for a user per day? After that his votes shouldn't be count in any way.
When there are more than 6 users on the channel, a proper democratic voting should probably be the best: 50% + 1 user, and everything should be fair. If you don't like the channel, leave it if there are more people who enjoy in it.
My idea for voting process is something like this:
When kick voting is proposed other users on the channel can vote something of (Yes, No, CountMeOut). If 50% + 1 non-content users voted for kicking, the user is kicked. For convinience, user against whom the voting is raised shouldn't be able to see that, and also if the voting isn't passed shouldn't see that. Or should he, as a warning?
Anyway.
johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 01:52 PM   #7
evilleprachaun

Default no kickin people off

Cant we all just get along!!!I mean as a musician for 20+years,i would rather teach or help someone than to vote people off.I totally understand your frustrations but just turn there channel down if it annoys you or chat with them.
evilleprachaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 04:56 AM   #8
3mph

I agree with evilleprachau about muting unwanted or disturbing sound and generally being nice to others. You can always mute a user or tick the "recieve"-option on each player.

NINJAM offers the server-software for free, so if you're a band or a group of regulars who want to jam, you can set up a "private" server.

About documentation. From my point of view, you simply start the software, press connect and jam. In Reaper there's even a server-browser! The problem is setting up soundcard-drivers/software correctly :-(

Last edited by 3mph; 08-18-2007 at 05:06 AM.
3mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 05:55 PM   #9
AndyMc

If the ability to kick comes in then it will only lead to people hijacking servers and make NINJAM more like IRC.

Maybe a Mute vote would be better, so majority could vote to mute but if silly buggers are going on then normal users could vote to unmute.
Then if mute is spammed it could disabled itself for 30 mins.
If mute is spammed for so many times with in a time frame then it could auto mute a user for 15 mins or so.

Just an idea to throw into the cooking pot.

Also evilleprachaun the problem with that is they can just reconnect and are back to normal volume or unmuted. Not sure if this applies to reaninjam client.
Cya on NINJAM!

Last edited by AndyMc; 09-08-2007 at 05:58 PM.
AndyMc is offline   Reply With Quote