Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 02-18-2019, 10:55 AM   #1
Markdude
Human being with feelings

Default "Show parameters when space permits" -- link multiple parameters into one control?

Hi everyone,

I recently became aware of the ability to effectively build simple "channel strips" with parameters visible in the mixer view by enabling the "show FX parameters when space permits" option. I really like this functionality but I am wondering if it's possible to get slightly more advanced with it.

I am aware some of these things are possible with something like LBX Stripper (which I have also experimented with and am still learning), but I'm hoping to be able to do this with the stock Reaper functionality since it's a lot quicker and I can see parameters for multiple tracks at once.

I've created some sorta custom EQ curves with FabFilter Pro-Q 3 to replicate vintage analog EQs. By that, I mean that I sometimes use 2 or 3 bands simultaneously to replicate the unique shapes of a single band on the vintage EQs. In order for this to work correctly, I need to be manipulating the frequency of multiple Pro-Q bands simultaneously (as well as gain) and in a linear fashion. Is there a way I can configure Reaper to "group" parameters and manipulate them simultaneously (and perhaps even have only one parameter control knob displayed which controls all the grouped parameters)? Pro-Q itself does allow you to control click or drag and select all the bands at the same time and then manipulate them in groups, but there is no way to permanently group/assign them.

Sort of a piggyback question on grouping parameters: if the above is possible, is there a way to group parameters so that they move in an inverse fashion to each other? For one of my plugin chains, I would like to use JS Volume to boost input level early in the chain, and simultaneously decrease level by the same amount in another JS Volume instance at the end of the chain.

One last question: is there an easy way make each channel wider in the mixer? And if so, is there a way the Reaper channel strip functionality can be configured to have two columns of parameters for each channel? I'm using the I Logic Next theme if that matters.

Any help is appreciated! I know my ideas are wacky and gratuitous but that's part of the fun for me.

Last edited by Markdude; 02-18-2019 at 11:03 AM.
Markdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:04 AM   #2
ashcat_lt

Parameter Modulation - Link to Parameter

Pick one to show in the track controls and link the others to it. Adjust Baseline, Offset, Scale, and Direction as desired.

Right click the track in the mixer>Track Layout>Mixer Panel. See if one of those works better for you. Different themes have different layouts available. I'm not aware of anything that does exactly what you've asked, but like I said, maybe there's one you can live with.
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:06 AM   #3
Markdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
Parameter Modulation - Link to Parameter

Pick one to show in the track controls and link the others to it. Adjust Baseline, Offset, Scale, and Direction as desired.
Perfect! Thank you for your help. Damn I love Reaper.
Markdude is offline   Reply With Quote