Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 02-11-2017, 05:21 PM   #81
storyteller
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guod3 View Post
Sorry if I missed something in the discussion.
What is included in terms of manual and updates down the road?
No problem! I actually haven't said anything about the manual other than "there will be one." But v1.0 of the manual is 87 pages (as it stands today). This is not a "how to use Reaper manual." Rather, it gives the ins-and-outs of OTR. Of course pictures/illustrations are included in that page count, but there is still a tremendous amount of content. And more will be expanded upon as needed in the future.

Quote:
Do you anticipate there will be improvements and evolutions in the future, if so how are they to be funded?
There will definitely be improvements in the future. For example, I do plan on updating the template with a fully featured 5.1 surround version of the template. At launch it includes a QUAD template, a standard template, and the Cue Manager. The plan is for updates to be included for free as long as possible. After all, this is a port of my own workflow - so I will be making improvements as I am composing/scoring as well. The way I see it - we are all in this together.

But I will say that If for some reason there is an overly-significant amount of rework required due to a major change with Reaper, then I'll have to reassess if there should be an upgrade price. I think everyone could agree in that scenario. But, realistically, I do not expect any upcoming changes with Reaper would require that type of overhaul. Perhaps on a new version release... but even then i really wouldn't expect it to...

Quote:
I assume making one's own "trackpack" for obscure or bespoke VI's is simply a case of following the pattern of the provided ones?
Yep! There is a 5 part video series on the Storyteller Youtube channel as well as the OTR website http://otr.storyteller.im that walks you through how to create your own. If you end up wanting to customize it further, you can always dig into the wiring of the TrackPacks that are already setup and see what is going on. They are not doing anything that can't be done by anyone else. They are mostly a convenience/luxury service so you don't have to worry about setting them up yourself.

As an example, here is a video of what Heavyocity's Damage TrackPack looks like (which is part of the Rhythmic & Hits Collection TrackPack and is included in the pre-launch bundle).

https://youtu.be/2rNVylVgxL4
storyteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 06:35 PM   #82
Guod3

Thanks for the detailed reply.
It's only a couple of days until the earliest possible release date. It feels a bit weird parting with real $$ without knowing what's actually completely included. Will you be able to list the included trackpack supported instruments by the end of the sale period (14/2)?
It seems that kontakt is very well supported. Is it planned to have trackpacks for all of NI komplete? If so will they be sold separately or bundled?
Guod3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 06:57 PM   #83
peter5992

Quote:
Originally Posted by storyteller View Post
New video posted demonstrating OTR's "Cue Manager" which is how OTR natively handles sub-projects within its workflow. I think you'll find it as a great method to begin sketches on a feature film, but also as a great way to manage all of the cues as they get completed along the way.

Hope you enjoy.

https://youtu.be/RUWIWFGydFQ

Also - just a side note, I should be posting the TrackPack listings this weekend. I'll probably make a video on those as well when I get a chance. The final tally for the 11 TrackPacks consists of over 1600 total tracks (some articulation based, but most are single lane VIs with drum kits being pre-setup with the outputs mapped for multichannel mixing within OTR). All of these can be added to a session at the push of a button. HOWEVER - I want to stress this... It may sound exciting to build a 1000+ track template because ... well, with OTR+Reaper, it is easy to do. But, the best way - and most efficient way - to handle your workflow is not to load in everything and try to save a monster template. That's why TrackPacks exist The way to handle your template creation for your sessions is to create the basic instrumentations you use regularly and then use the pre-made TrackPacks or create your own TrackPacks to load in the extra stuff with only a right click. It is an entirely different concept to how other DAWs handle this problem. Take advantage of the simplicity of a Template, knowing that it can be as complex as you want it to be when the time comes.
Wow!! Rad.

Question - what exactly is it that you are inserted on the master project timeline? I mean the sub project. That's not an audio or midi clip ... I'm talking about 3:34 into the video.

Last edited by peter5992; 02-11-2017 at 07:05 PM.
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 07:39 PM   #84
storyteller

Quote:
Thanks for the detailed reply.
It's only a couple of days until the earliest possible release date. It feels a bit weird parting with real $$ without knowing what's actually completely included. Will you be able to list the included trackpack supported instruments by the end of the sale period (14/2)?
It seems that kontakt is very well supported. Is it planned to have trackpacks for all of NI komplete? If so will they be sold separately or bundled?
Completely understand! The TrackPacks have been a race to the finish line (so to speak). I'm really excited about the amount of content I was able to include. As of right now, The VIs are all preconfigured over 1600+ tracks that span across the 11 Collection Series TrackPacks.

The lists for each TrackPack should go up late tonight or early tomorrow. I am in the process of completing that documentation as we speak.

And yes, much of NI Komplete Ultimate is covered in these. That said, the instruments from Komplete would have to fit the definition of the Collection Series categories to be included though. For example, Damage, Rise & Hit, the synths, pianos, etc are all in there. I think you'll be very pleased with the list. I am
Old 02-11-2017, 07:47 PM   #85
storyteller

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter5992 View Post
Wow!! Rad.

Question - what exactly is it that you are inserted on the master project timeline? I mean the sub project. That's not an audio or midi clip ... I'm talking about 3:34 into the video.
It is basically a rendered overview of a new reaper session. At 3:34. these are just new, blank projects. So if you view each project/cue that you work on as part of a collection of projects, this is a way to create a cue list...or maybe a better way to describe it is the Cue Manager is a map of each song you write for a film lined up in a timeline view. The "subprojects" are nothing more than a new Reaper session - just included within a larger reaper session. This is taking a birds eye view of multiple projects and placing them in one large timeline so you can dive into each one and work on them as necessary.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:19 PM   #86
Guod3

Quote:
I think you'll be very pleased with the list. I am
Look forward to seeing the list. I'm nearly onboard
btw; I'm at Komplete 10 Std, so I guess it'll be largely covered...

Also as an afterthought, I use and love my NI Kontrol S61 keyboard and the way it indicate zones, hits and articulations with it's RGB key LEDs. I've noticed at times the edit-ability of kontakt instruments is limited by the Komplete Kontrol wrapper, IIRC. Is there any issue that you know of in adapting OTR track presets for Kontakt and other NI VI's with Komplete Kontrol? (IIRC, the routing and signal paths of instruments is not affected by the wrapper...)
Old 02-11-2017, 11:59 PM   #87
storyteller

Quote:
Look forward to seeing the list. I'm nearly onboard
btw; I'm at Komplete 10 Std, so I guess it'll be largely covered...
Yep! K10 is pretty much locked and covered. The Komplete Ultimate instruments were based off of K10U... I have not yet updated to K11U because I had picked up items like Una Corda, etc before K11U was released. It didn't leave me much reason to upgrade.

So now on to the GOOD NEWS! I just finished updating all of the TrackPack products on the website. The grand total for all 11 TrackPacks is 850 VIs spanning 1600+ tracks. It is actually much much more when you consider some of the instruments like the plucked and solo string TrackPacks offer multiple output variations for each track (e.g. orchestral hall, choir hall, main mix). I apologize for any delay on not being able to provide a final list of VIs until today. The race was on to get as many in as possible before launch. As it stands today I am exceedingly pleased.

Quote:
Also as an afterthought, I use and love my NI Kontrol S61 keyboard and the way it indicate zones, hits and articulations with it's RGB key LEDs. I've noticed at times the edit-ability of kontakt instruments is limited by the Komplete Kontrol wrapper, IIRC. Is there any issue that you know of in adapting OTR track presets for Kontakt and other NI VI's with Komplete Kontrol? (IIRC, the routing and signal paths of instruments is not affected by the wrapper...)
To answer your question regarding Komplete Kontrol, OTR does not introduce anything that would make it perform less than it would normally. But if I am understanding what you are wanting to do, I don't believe NI has provided a way to do that yet. It is actually a common complaint among Kontrol owners. For such an amazing keyboard and concept, hopefully they will integrate it in Kontakt 6, but Mario (Evil Dragon) recently indicated he did not think they would. Maybe he can chime in on this if he sees this post.

But back to the GOOD NEWS... That list is finished
Old 02-12-2017, 12:11 AM   #88
woggle

Unbelievably amazing Jonathan. I hope my favourites are ther, but if not I can create them myself anyway . ��
woggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 12:46 PM   #89
storyteller

Quote:
Originally Posted by woggle View Post
Unbelievably amazing Jonathan. I hope my favourites are ther, but if not I can create them myself anyway . ��
Thanks you! I am very very happy with the amount of content for the release in the TrackPacks...not to mention the additional features I managed to squeeze into the final OTR release version.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:11 AM   #90
storyteller

Just a kind reminder to everyone. There are under 24hrs left to take advantage of the pre-order bundle and sale price for OTR. After the official release tomorrow, prices will be set at normal, retail pricing and the bonus 11 TrackPacks included the preorder bundle with OTR will only be available as separate purchases to OTR.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:54 PM   #91
peter5992

Quote:
Just a kind reminder to everyone. There are under 24hrs left to take advantage of the pre-order bundle and sale price for OTR. After the official release tomorrow, prices will be set at normal, retail pricing and the bonus 11 TrackPacks included the preorder bundle with OTR will only be available as separate purchases to OTR.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:18 AM   #92
storyteller

Downloads are now available You should have received an email within the past few minutes letting you know.

Thanks to everyone for making this launch an amazing success!

BTW - I loved the video, Peter!
Old 02-14-2017, 02:23 PM   #93
ironbut

I'm thinking of using OTR in a portable install as some folks have mentioned.
I've been using Reaper for a while and I have several configurations/screensets for different tasks.

I've never used a portable install before but set up looks easy.
What I'm wondering is if I can put the portable install on my system drive (outside of the Apps folder, at the root level) instead of an external and not have the two interfere with each other?

BTW I'm on a MacPro with an SSD for the system drive.
ironbut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 02:24 PM   #94
DLC

Hi Jonathan,

Being new to Reaper, I'm assuming that my issues getting started with OTR are user error. I downloaded the 64 bit OSX version and put in my applications folder. When I launch Reaper from that folder, there is nothing listed in either the Project Templates or Track Templates menus. I can access them from the OTR folder, but I'm wondering if my install is missing other things as well. Any help you can give me will be much appreciated!

D
DLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 03:24 PM   #95
storyteller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLC View Post
Hi Jonathan,

Being new to Reaper, I'm assuming that my issues getting started with OTR are user error. I downloaded the 64 bit OSX version and put in my applications folder. When I launch Reaper from that folder, there is nothing listed in either the Project Templates or Track Templates menus. I can access them from the OTR folder, but I'm wondering if my install is missing other things as well. Any help you can give me will be much appreciated!

D
That's odd. But we will get that ironed out really quickly. If you could, email me at the support@storyteller.im address with your system details we can walk through it. Also, just as an additional check, could you extract the zip file again and move it to you desktop and try launching it from there? Thanks. It sounds like it may be looking at your main Reaper user folder instead of the OTR folder.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:27 PM   #96
storyteller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbut View Post
I'm thinking of using OTR in a portable install as some folks have mentioned.
I've been using Reaper for a while and I have several configurations/screensets for different tasks.

I've never used a portable install before but set up looks easy.
What I'm wondering is if I can put the portable install on my system drive (outside of the Apps folder, at the root level) instead of an external and not have the two interfere with each other?

BTW I'm on a MacPro with an SSD for the system drive.
OTR comes pre configured as a portable install, so all you have to do is extract the zip file to whatever location you'd like and launch Reaper from there. Super easy.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:47 PM   #97
Guod3

I have it installed OTR and am getting started...
On the Tabbed Menu Bar the titles are all truncated eg:
"Storyteller Basic Ren..."
"Storyteller MI..."
etc,etc not pretty.

I'm on Win7x64 with 1600x1050 wide screen monitor with everything standard in windows and reaper in terms of gui scaling etc.
The font for the bar is a little too "fat"?

[edit]
Maybe a simple fix is to rename the tabs from "Storyteller **" to "OTR **" to make space.

Last edited by Guod3; 02-14-2017 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:05 PM   #98
woggle

Quote:
"Storyteller MI..."
etc,etc not pretty.

I'm on Win7x64 with 1600x1050 wide screen monitor with everything standard in windows and reaper in terms of gui scaling etc.

[edit]
Maybe a simple fix is to rename the tabs from "Storyteller **" to "OTR **" to make space.
Looks fine here, But OTR would work for me. I would like , over time I guess, a list of alternate themes that work, or an indication of possible problem areas to check when testing themes.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:00 PM   #99
peter5992

Just downloaded and unzipped OTR -- holy cow, over 700 MB -- over 8,000 files -- is that for real?!?

This is not a joke, is it?

Old 02-14-2017, 06:25 PM   #100
woggle

Quote:
Just downloaded and unzipped OTR -- holy cow, over 700 MB -- over 8,000 files -- is that for real?!?

This is not a joke, is it?

Indicates just how much work went into it.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:33 PM   #101
peter5992

Oops - I can start up OTR but my license is gone.

I have a commercial license that I paid $225 for -- still works fine when I start up Reaper w/o the OTR.

Old 02-14-2017, 07:45 PM   #102
woggle

Portable installs are independent so need to see the license I imagine. Just drop it in
Old 02-14-2017, 08:07 PM   #103
storyteller

Quote:
"Storyteller MI..."
etc,etc not pretty.

[edit]
The GUI design was optimized for 1920x1080 and up. You can easily shorten those names though for lower resolutions and it should fit your screen and look quite nice. Just right click on the menu. Hit customize. From there you can retitle the menus. In future releases I can shorten them by default if that seems to be something people would rather have. On 1920 and up, the longer names filled the tabs out a little better and had a better aesthetic to it. If you don't want to fool with the reaper GUI, you could also open up the reaper-menu.ini file in a text editor and just shorten the titles for each toolbar that begins with "Storyteller" there as well.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:11 PM   #104
woggle

Quote:
The GUI design was optimized for 1920x1080 and up. You can easily shorten those names though for lower resolutions and it should fit your screen and look quite nice. Just right click on the menu. Hit customize. From there you can retitle the menus. In future releases I can shorten them by default if that seems to be something people would rather have. On 1920 and up, the longer names filled the tabs out a little better and had a better aesthetic to it. If you don't want to fool with the reaper GUI, you could also open up the reaper-menu.ini file in a text editor and just shorten the titles for each toolbar that begins with "Storyteller" there as well.
I'll stick with your aesthetic Jonathan.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:24 PM   #105
storyteller

Quote:
Looks fine here, But OTR would work for me. I would like , over time I guess, a list of alternate themes that work, or an indication of possible problem areas to check when testing themes.
Yep! I was originally going to include them, but after the discussion came up here I told White Tie I would honor his request even though I hold a completely different viewpoint on "setting things up for people." But in short, the ones that I was going to include in the download initially were:

Addiktion_RADO 2
Addiktion_RADO
ALBERT-C ( REA-EVOLUTION 2 )
ALBERT-C ( SOLARIS-PRO )
Albert-C (Pro x-tools v1.0.1) MOD
Albert-C (Pro x-tools v1.0.1)
Albert-C (PROTOOLS X1).
Dark_Side_Imperial
Default_Analog_v1.8
Default_Commala_5_2016
Default_Commala_5_light
Default_Commala_5
FolderWT_Imperial
IMPERIAL 24
Imperial_LCS-mod_v2.9.1
Janne2014 EZ Mod 2 Flat
Janne2016II_Light_Tinted_v103
Janne2016II_Tinted_v103
ProTools12
RADO-V4 basic
RADO-V4C
WT_Imperial

Some are better than others. Commala's 2016 theme seems to have the greatest flexibility for OTR due to its ability to customize all of the different track types (faders, text only, etc) but it also looks great out of the box if you don't want to get into further customization. I'm really looking forward to his "light" version when he completes that. In regards to WT, I think the modded ones with folders work a little better cosmetically with OTR since it uses the folder system pretty heavily - but I wanted to include all of the different variations so people could decide for themselves and not reflect any bias on my part.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:30 PM   #106
storyteller

Quote:
Oops - I can start up OTR but my license is gone.

I have a commercial license that I paid $225 for -- still works fine when I start up Reaper w/o the OTR.

You can use your Reaper license with any install of Reaper. You can either type it in manually when it prompts you for it, or copy the "reaper-license.rk" file from your other install of Reaper to the OTR directory.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:47 PM   #107
Guod3

Quote:
Is it possible to enable tool tips when mouse over Menu Bar Tabs?
I'd prefer a fix for all time (and for all users...)
[edit]
Globally replacing "title=Storyteller" with "title=" works a treat.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:51 PM   #108
storyteller

Quote:
Indicates just how much work went into it.
Thanks It was certainly a lot of work.

And just to let everyone know, I'm certainly listening to any feedback as well for future improvements and ways to make it even easier to use across all systems. With the launch, I had to find a happy medium for aesthetics and such.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:08 PM   #109
Guod3

Following the procedure on page 8:
Configuring the Kontakt Configuration File
Step 3 I get a pop up from kontakt 5 "loading of output configuration failed. rewinding to default"
Old 02-14-2017, 09:20 PM   #110
storyteller

Quote:
Step 3 I get a pop up from kontakt 5 "loading of output configuration failed. rewinding to default"
Can you email me (suppoort@storyteller.im) a screenshot or a brief video? Also what version of Kontakt are you using, platform, etc? That's a much easier approach than trying to piece mail a situation through forum posts.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:33 PM   #111
storyteller

Quote:
Is it possible to enable tool tips when mouse over Menu Bar Tabs?
I'd prefer a fix for all time (and for all users...)
[edit]
Globally replacing "title=Storyteller" with "title=" works a treat.
Your wish is my command! Smile a bit. Any issues will be addressed quickly - as I've said I would do leading into the launch.

Within the next few hours, I will be emailing everyone a "low res" menu file, that can be installed and used in lieu of the originally installed menu that contains the longer menu names. It is optional and does not need to be installed if you do not want it. The low res menu will accommodate down to 1280x720 (with the master fader turned off on that lowest resolution). Sit tight and wait for that email.

Also, please know that if the menu buttons extend further than the width of your display, you can always stretch the toolbar menu into two rows by dragging it down,

Additionally, the email will include a small script bug update too that should be updated as soon as possible. Future download versions will include these updates when I have an opportunity to compile them. Day one, v1.01.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:03 PM   #112
Gerry P

Quote:
Additionally, the email will include a small script bug update too that should be updated as soon as possible. Future download versions will include these updates when I have an opportunity to compile them. Day one, v1.01.
Congratulations Jonathan... very nice work!

I spent some time today, playing around with OTR and the things I tried, worked just as smooth as in your videos.

I also integrated my Triton Theme, modified a few of the icons in the main toolbar, added a few of my own actions and shortcuts and shortened the names of the Tabs. And it looks great.

So my question is, when the update comes, will I have to redo all the changes I made today?
Old 02-14-2017, 10:40 PM   #113
storyteller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry P View Post
Congratulations Jonathan... very nice work!

I spent some time today, playing around with OTR and the things I tried, worked just as smooth as in your videos.

I also integrated my Triton Theme, modified a few of the icons in the main toolbar, added a few of my own actions and shortcuts and shortened the names of the Tabs. And it looks great.

So my question is, when the update comes, will I have to redo all the changes I made today?
Thanks Gerry! That's wonderful to hear! As for the update, you won't have to worry about changing a thing! The update process will be just replacing one script in the scripts folder.

My goal for all updates is to keep it as non-invasive as possible so that you can keep all modifications in tact.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:57 PM   #114
Guod3

Quote:
As suggested, I emailed support and I was advised to *update kontakt* to the latest release V5.6.5 (from V5.6.0) which fixed it, woohoo!
Thanks Jonathan
Old 02-14-2017, 11:14 PM   #115
peter5992

Quote:
You can use your Reaper license with any install of Reaper. You can either type it in manually when it prompts you for it, or copy the "reaper-license.rk" file from your other install of Reaper to the OTR directory.
Well I guess this is going to be a long journey ...

Old 02-14-2017, 11:17 PM   #116
Guod3

Quote:
You were using V4.x???
Old 02-15-2017, 02:00 AM   #117
woggle

Quote:

contact support but I imagine just replacing the reaper.exe with an old one will work - but maybe OTR needs v5+
Old 02-15-2017, 11:36 AM   #118
storyteller

Quote:

Hey Peter - I'd contact Reaper/Cockos support and see if you can get that resolved. I'm not sure what the policy was when you purchased your license, but the new licenses carry from 5.x through 6.99. Hopefully they can get you sorted out really quickly.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:42 PM   #119
peter5992

Quote:
Hey Peter - I'd contact Reaper/Cockos support and see if you can get that resolved. I'm not sure what the policy was when you purchased your license, but the new licenses carry from 5.x through 6.99. Hopefully they can get you sorted out really quickly.
I'll do that.

It's weird because when I start up Reaper from my desktop the way I up Reaper by double clicking on my desktop (C:\Program Files\REAPER (x64)\reaper.exe) I get no error message.

Pretty sure I only have one license.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:32 PM   #120
peter5992

Quote:
I'll do that.

It's weird because when I start up Reaper from my desktop the way I up Reaper by double clicking on my desktop (C:\Program Files\REAPER (x64)\reaper.exe) I get no error message.

Pretty sure I only have one license.
Mystery solved - I was using an old license key. (thanks Ollie! )