Old 01-03-2008, 11:56 PM   #1
Almy
Human being with feelings

Default 2nd Reaper project, 1st band project.

Well a year or so ago I recorded two of my fingerstyle songs using reaper and learned a lot about recording a single instrument with no vocals. I thought that was a hard thing to do...

But it came time to get down a four song demo so we could start shopping around for gigs. Ready or not, it was time to try.

www.myspace.com/audiohaven

I learned an absolute TON doing this and really hope I can do a better job the next go 'round. First and foremost I'll be getting a mic or two with a preamp besides my mixer's. Then I'll try and apply what I learned along the way. Any suggestions from just hearing the mixes on the songs would be really appreciated by me. I have a lot more to learn.

Computer: Nothing fancy, just a core 2 duo computer.
Interface: Alesis 12 channel firewire mixer
Mics: 3 MXL 604's (everything but the kick drum.). 1 SM-57 (kick drum.)
Software: Reaper
Sound reindorcement/isolation: Heh, close micing to avoid having to try and mess with it :P
Almy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:38 PM   #2
Wolffman

Hi Almy
Checked out your tunes, good stuff,I realy like " feels so right"
RE: the mix i think the accoustic guitar sounds really natural which i like, you could try to get a bit more definition in the low end ( Bass, Kick drum ) as neither seem to have their own space in the mix, This is an area i have dificulty with as well it can be hard to get right. If you search the forum a guy called Rocket made some good videos on drum and bass mixing along with other stuff, i found them very helpfull.
Cheers
Wolffman
Wolffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:39 PM   #3
Almy

Thanks! Yeah I had a devil of a time mixing things, not having done it before didn't help. I'm hoping some of the things I learned can help me do the initial recordings better and thus help those come out more.

I experimented with panning during the mix and it got a little better. I put the kick center as 2 identical tracks (was only able to record with one sm57 from in front of the front head.) And I put the bass at about 30% left and right, one the direct and one the mic. Closer than it was before hand I think, but still not on their own, so to speak.

Mainly though I wanted to say thanks for the heads up on Rockets posts. A member search put me to his tutorial vids and man are they handy! I can't believe I missed them with all the stalking I've done on these forums. I'm only through the first one now, but thanks again, very nice.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:33 PM   #4
Almy

Ok I just finished his video on mixing drums. Man, I think I finally understand eq'ing for the first time. And holy cow what a difference that room mic makes.