Old 01-11-2008, 02:48 PM   #1
edrod
Human being with feelings

Default Gone (feedback please) Used Reaper

We made this song to honor all of our loved ones that have perished.

I hope you guys like it and sorry if the quality is not superb.

Don't forget to click on high fi

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6159616

Thanks

edrod
edrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:00 PM   #2
richlum

Really like the vocals and guitars.
I'm not sure if you wanted that amp noise at the beginning but it was a but distracting to me. Especially when it changes to clean and it's really noticeable.

I think some of the changes between sections seem a bit harsh - kinda like they were mixed separately and then stuck together... kinda needs something to gel everything together a bit more... some transitions sound OK though, like the one coming out of the solo into the ending. Although the ending seems a bit too abrupt for me

Great song though and singer really suits the song.
richlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 08:44 AM   #3
tspring

This is really quite well done. Vocals are very good, and guitar parts are great. The song and recording are well worth perfecting.

Like RichLum, I found the intro part to detract from the flow of the song. There would still be plenty of variety in the song if you dropped it entirely. After the intro the song flows very nicely. You have done a good job of adding variety to the guitar sounds, but as Richlum also points out, there is something about the changes in tonal quality as the parts come in and out that makes the sound "patchy" - maybe just smooth out some of the transitions in EQ, reverb, compression, etc.

The recording would be greatly enhanced by more natural drums. I suppose that this is a personal-preference thing, but maybe try Addictive Drums (the free demo would do a great job) if a live drummer is not an option.

T

Last edited by tspring; 01-12-2008 at 08:52 AM.
tspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 08:06 AM   #4
teejb43

Cool tune Ed! Really enjoyed listening. I kinda agree the noisy guitar in the beginning is a "-" , however, I noticed it isn't so nasty at the end, same sequence. Clean up the sound in the beginning to match the end and it's a winner.

Your guitar sounds great, your vocalist is killer, and I agree some more "real" sounding drums would do the trick for this one. Polish this baby, it's worth the effort. A- as it stands, A+ potential.

T

Last edited by teejb43; 01-13-2008 at 08:07 AM. Reason: content
teejb43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 12:32 PM   #5
edrod

Thanks for the feedback guys. The crappy intro was meant to sound like that, sort of a "guitar thru a transistor radio" type of effect.

The ending riff after the breakdown lacks (I just noticed). I think if I would have played the rhythm guitar in the background, it wouldn't have sounded so out of place.

Also the drums do sound........ whacky .

My friend has EZDrummer and I am going to as him if I can borrow it. We tried bevoss's drum mix and I completely wet myself :lol:.

I am still a big time noob (i don't know what I doing) but I learned something new every time I attempt a mix.

Thanks guys
Old 01-26-2008, 12:34 PM   #6
edrod

Btw

I used Addictive Drums demo and soft drums. I do think EZdrummer will sound better (with Bevoss's mix, recommend it).

I wish I could add a real bass, I just use my guitar with a bass patch but it sounds nothing like a bass .
Old 01-26-2008, 04:33 PM   #7
wzmzw

Hi!

I enjoy the song... very impact guitars... good job!

Salut compadre!
wzmzw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 05:48 PM   #8
stratman

Quote:
Originally Posted by edrod View Post
I wish I could add a real bass, I just use my guitar with a bass patch but it sounds nothing like a bass .
Edrod, I don’t know whether it suits your style of music but I like the NS J bass soundfont http://soundfonts.homemusician.net/b.../ns_jbass.html

To uncompress it you need sfArk http://melodymachine.com/sfark.htm

To play it you need a soundfont player like the rgc:audio sfz player. See teej813’s post for a good version http://www.cockos.com/forum/showpost...3&postcount=10

btw. I like the song.

Pete
stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:48 AM   #9
edrod

Wow stratman, that sounds awesome. I tried it and it sounds a billion times better than the cra@p I used. Thank you very much stratman.

The only thing is that when i do a playback of the midi, there's a small hiss on the track. Is there anything I can do to fix it?

Thanks in advance
Old 01-27-2008, 02:40 AM   #10
stratman

I haven’t noticed any hiss. But years of gigging have left me with a low level ringing in my right ear, so maybe I’m just not hearing it.

It would be interesting to know is anyone else hears a hiss.

Pete
Old 01-27-2008, 02:02 PM   #11
edrod

Oh well, it still 1 billion times better than the stuff I've done. One last question though if you may. There's times when I export a midi track from guitar pro (bass) but it won't play some of the lower notes.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:25 PM   #12
stratman

The NS J bass soundfont goes down to D (i.e. one tone below a conventionally tuned 4 string bass).

There’s one called the Jazz_fingered bass at the link below that goes down to low B (i.e. the bottom string on a 5 string bass). It's OK. but I don’t think it sounds as good.

http://www.hammersound.com/cgi-bin/s...&ListLength=15

You might find other basses you like on the above link.
Sometimes they seem to be transposed an octave, so you need to make the adjustments on the midi event editor by selecting all the notes and dragging them to the correct octave.

Pete
Old 01-27-2008, 02:36 PM   #13
edrod

Thank Pete, you've helped me out a couple times and I appreciated.
If you need anything let me know.

Eddi