COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :

Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Other Software Discussion > Wifight Discussion

Old 06-09-2008, 07:45 PM   #1
Brennan
hey man

Default Informal poll - How long to wait before a game is Abandoned?

I'm wondering what would be a good initial length of time to wait before wifight automatically declares a game abandoned. I'm thinking useful numbers here would be anywhere from 7 days to 6 months maybe? What seems too long? What seems too short?

This would be different from an actual game timer feature. The idea is to just start cleaning up old games.

I haven't started coding this yet. I just want to get some opinions first.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:38 PM   #2
trgeoff
Human being with feelings

my vote is for five weeks weeks since last activity. gives people time to have up to a month's holiday in areas without data connection.

the other thing is what "abandon" means: my vote is that it's a loss (not a draw) for the non-active player. Otherwise it might encourage (some) people who are losing to just drag out the game past the time-out point.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:57 AM   #3
Brennan
hey man

Cool. I've been thinking at least 30 days up to 60 days. Maybe 45 days is a good solid number. That's a bit past the 5 weeks you suggested. 6 weeks I guess. 1.5 months.

Abandoning a game is gonna be like quitting. It will be scored as a forfeit. Which is a loss. The other player wins. But it's not quite the same as a real win+loss, so it'll be marked accordingly.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:12 PM   #4
Brennan
hey man

Lately I'm thinkin 60 days. That's plenty long enough and it's easy to remember (2 months, 8 weeks). At least for starters. So far all the games being played were started under no time limits, so I dunno if they should get a special amnesty or if they should just lose. I'm thinking they should just lose. That's whatcha get. You had two months! How can you argue with that?
Old 07-02-2008, 06:42 PM   #5
Gogeter

60 Days is solid, I also think it should be a loss for the person who's turn it is.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:27 PM   #6
sangahm

14 days. Hear me out:

There should be two checks, not just the last time you entered a move. First, the system should check the last time you logged in. Then check the last time you made a move. If the difference is greater than 14 days, you probably are not going to go back to that other game.

There could even be another check to see if you started another of the same type of game. Then that might show that you aren't going to return back to your previous game.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:09 PM   #7
Brennan
hey man

Hmm, interesting ideas Sangahm. 14 days would probably be a good length of time to keep things moving once there are per-game time limits. I don't quite want to penalize people for making a game in one move but not the other, though. I'm imagining that that might make a feeling-stuck player stop moving in all of his games, not just the one he's stuck on. That's on the global level, though, as a per-game enabled option I could see that working.

Gogeter, thanks for the feedback.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:32 AM   #8
trgeoff

hehe

just noticed the incredible number of hits this thread has!!

Must be something about the word 'abandoned'
Old 08-08-2008, 01:41 PM   #9
Brennan
hey man

Heh yeah it sure is a lot. 9000 plus!
Old 08-21-2008, 12:14 PM   #10
Nithya

Wow, almost 12,000 now.

So, what's the verdict then as far as abandoned games go? I like the idea of waiting for 60 days before declaring a game abandoned. Another option would be to allow players to set the time limit for moves at the start of the game, with a vacation mode that allows you to take a break from all your games, like some turn based online game sites have. But that could probably be a feature for the future, and there's no reason why a hard limit of 60 days shouldn't apply then too.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:12 PM   #11
Brennan
hey man

Awesome, seems like everyone is on board with the 60 days thing. Now all I have to do is code it! And test it. I have the recurring paranoid worry that somehow the server's clock will be set a year forward and every single open game will be inadvertently Abandonified...
Old 09-19-2008, 06:04 PM   #12
Brennan
hey man

Default Game abandonment feature now live on the server: how it works

And in fact I have coded it and made it live on the server. Woot! I just won a ton of games! And my gamelist is nice n slim now.

The rules for wifight game abandonment are:
1. Over 60 days (to the second) have elapsed with no move.
2. When the player whose turn it is NOT next logs in, the game will be closed, and that player wins.
3. Single-player games do not abandon. Yet. Slack all you want: you're not hurting anybody but yourself.

So in games where both players have not played/logged in for 60 days, nothing changes. Who knows, maybe they'll come back. Also, if it's still your turn and log in after 60 days, the game will not abandon. Altho if your opponent logs in, it will, so you should probably hurry up and move, or Quit/Resign the game, if you want to be polite.

This is to give the opponent an incentive to still log in, while still allowing people to pick up old games and keep them going if they want, assuming it's their turn still. All you have to do is make a move, any move (even a draw offer) and the clock will reset for 60 more days.

If any of that doesn't make sense please don't hesitate to post a reply Feedback is welcome.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:06 AM   #13
trgeoff

Here's an idea: keep the current 60 days abandonment rule, but have the client automatically shift a game in which your opponent has not moved for X days (perhaps 20 or 30) out of the game list, and only return it if a move is made.

Would be very helpful for us "nice" people who start up games with one-game-wonder newbs.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:56 PM   #14
Brennan
hey man

Good idea... If/when the game room list has filtering that would be a good filter. But I was thinking, what if we just moved the time limit up to 30 days? Has anyone been on vacation >30 days and actually needed that much time to get back to their games? 60 days is nice and long, but maybe it's too long? Thoughts?
Old 07-14-2009, 11:54 PM   #15
trgeoff

for me, now that the winclient exists, I cant envisage any holidays where I would be out of access to wifight for more than a week or so, if that.

so 60 days does seem overkill now, and thirty would be more than sufficient
Old 07-16-2009, 12:03 AM   #16
Brennan
hey man

Yeah, hadn't even considered that winclient is available now. I mentioned it in the chat... we'll see if anybody screams