Old 03-27-2019, 07:47 AM   #1
Crumbfort
Human being with feelings

Default High Sierra to Mojave

Hi all-

I'm running 10.13.6 on a Mid 2012 Mac Pro right now. I'm considering updating to Mojave as I've got a couple projects coming up pretty quick that I'll be involved in for the next 8-12 months. Was thinking about updating before then because I definitely won't be able to do so during that time.

How is Reaper running on Mojave for you folks? Any noticeable differences between High Sierra and Mojave? Should I just stay on High Sierra?

Thanks a bunch for your help!
Crumbfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 10:07 AM   #2
bjohn

I haven't had any problems at all. I have two Macs; I upgraded the Mini to Mojave when Mojave was released, as my Mini isn't a critical machine and I use it to test things as well as do personal projects. My "production machine" is a Mac Pro (2013 trashcan model) and I waited a couple of months to upgrade that but it's fine too. I have Reaper and much else running on both machines and haven't encountered any issues. You do need to be aware that Mojave restricts apps' access to microphones etc. but it'll ask you to give apps permission and if you just allow access you'll be fine.
bjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 01:37 PM   #3
BenK-msx

Handy info cheers.
Old 03-28-2019, 06:53 AM   #4
Crumbfort

Thanks for the info, bjohn!

It turns out I can't update after all. My GPUs are definitely not compatible with Mojave (was completely unaware of this requirement). Ah well! It seems like High Sierra will be the last ever mac OS I use. For my next "master" computer I'll very likely be moving to PC land.

Thanks again!
Crumbfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 07:06 AM   #5
bjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumbfort View Post

It turns out I can't update after all. My GPUs are definitely not compatible with Mojave (was completely unaware of this requirement).
Ah, too bad!

I use Mac, Windows, and Linux, and now that Reaper's available for Linux I may end up settling there eventually although it's less practical for some of the things I do. I have been burned too many times by Microsoft, although I'd consider going with Windows on a machine that's totally cut off from the internet and never updated.
bjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:11 AM   #6
Jyibe

Quote:
Hi all-

I'm running 10.13.6 on a Mid 2012 Mac Pro right now. I'm considering updating to Mojave as I've got a couple projects coming up pretty quick that I'll be involved in for the next 8-12 months. Was thinking about updating before then because I definitely won't be able to do so during that time.

How is Reaper running on Mojave for you folks? Any noticeable differences between High Sierra and Mojave? Should I just stay on High Sierra?

Thanks a bunch for your help!
I'm still having trouble. New iMac Pro 2017 and Mojave + Reaper doesn't seem compatible. The transport controls are sluggish, even in a new session with 0 tracks.

I've had to switch to Ableton because it's so terribly slow and frustrating.
Jyibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 05:55 PM   #7
shanabit

Quote:

It turns out I can't update after all. My GPUs are definitely not compatible with Mojave (was completely unaware of this requirement). Ah well! It seems like High Sierra will be the last ever mac OS I use. For my next "master" computer I'll very likely be moving to PC land.

Thanks again!
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208898. We can but it requires a GPU change

Im with you as well, this is my last OSX machine here, moving to PC and W10 next box
shanabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:00 AM   #8
Ideosound

Not been using Mojave long but seems good, stable! Updated from high sierra last version. Dark mode is lush!
Ideosound is offline   Reply With Quote