Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 01-07-2018, 10:53 AM   #1
K8ch
Human being with feelings

Default Add an easier way to identify/change MIDI channel on a track

Here's my request:

The problem:
In order to check/change the midi channel for a given MIDI track, I have to open the track, zoom into a single note, right-click the note and scroll down the "Note Channel"...and then I have to re-mane the track, adding in the MIDI channel number, so I don't forget.

Adding an easy-to-access indicator/selector that will allow us to:
1) figure out what midi channel the track is, w/out having to dissect the track
2) Change the midi channel of the MIDI track, w/out having to dissect the track

Thoughts, anyone?

Peace,

K8ch
www.reverbnation.com/keithhaydon
Old 01-07-2018, 11:19 AM   #2
deeb

seems the best place would be right in the TCP , specially since it takes 3 digits, 1 -16 + All , no?
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 02:39 PM   #3
juliansader

An easy way to display and change the MIDI channel on a track, is to use a JSFX such MIDI Tool II as your first insert on the track (this JSFX can force all incoming MIDI into the selected channel), and then link the JSFX "Channel" slider to a track control so that the channel is openly displayed on the TCP.

Some more info in this post that I wrote once in another thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
I think that much of the confusion (in the earlier posts in this thread) stems from the fact that the term "channel" can have at least three different meanings in DAWs:
* Audio: 2 channel in stereo, etc
* Mixing: Channel as synonym for track or bus.
* MIDI: Each note or CC must be assigned to one of 16 MIDI channels, which allows virtual instruments (if they are so programmed) to handle these channels separately. The virtual instrument can, for example, play a different instrument for each channel.

As per standard MIDI specifications, MIDI channel is a property of each individual note of CC, similar to pitch or velocity. MIDI channel is *not* a track property, and MIDI channel does not have any correlation to track number (unless the user deliberately makes them line up). Each track or MIDI take can include MIDI events of multiple channels.

When you perform a standard copy/paste of MIDI events between tracks, REAPER faithfully copies the events' properties. It does not know whether it should change the MIDI channel to conform to the MIDI channel(s) of existing events in the track (nor does it analyze the key signature or velocity range of existing events and change the pitches or velocities to match).

Some DAWs, such as SONAR, includes MIDI channel ("Ch") as a track control, which gives the impression that MIDI channel is a track property:

This is misleading, however: The track control simply overrides the notes' and CCs' own MIDI channel properties.

In REAPER, you can also override the notes' and CCs' MIDI channels. For example:
* When routing MIDI to another track, select "Send to channel X" in the routing window.
* Use a JSFX such MIDI Tool II before the VSTi's. You can emulate SONAR's interface by linking the JSFX sliders to track controls:

EDIT: REAPER has powerful multi-channel MIDI editing capabilities. If you use routing or JSFX to force all MIDI playback into a single channel (or if your VSTi does not care about MIDI channels), then the MIDI inside the track can freely be assigned to any channel, and channels can be employed as 16 all-purpose groups that can be independently edited, similar to FL Studio's "color groups".

Also: If you have installed ReaPack, you will find several scripts that are very useful for multi-channel MIDI editing. Just search for "script" and "channel" in the Action list's Main and MIDI Editor contexts.
EDIT: If you are routing MIDI to another track, the js_Set MIDI send channel of selected tracks to channel of existing MIDI events in track script can automatically set the routing channel.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:15 PM   #4
K8ch

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
seems the best place would be right in the TCP , specially since it takes 3 digits, 1 -16 + All , no?

Yep...that makes sense.

This is all because I have to import midi songs I'd recorded long ago, and I'm in need of a shortcut.

Thanks for responding!

JulianSader - I'll try the JSFX plugin, and see if that makes things a little easier. Thanks!

Peace,
K
Old 01-08-2018, 12:40 PM   #5
Mordi

There seems to be some conflicting info in the first post. You want to change the midi channel of a single note, or all notes? Do you want to change the channel of all items on the track and all subsequent items that are created on the track?

Either way, I think this is one of those problems where scripting can be the solution.
Mordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 01:22 PM   #6
Michael AD

Unless I am misunderstanding the OP's request, it's quite simple to change the channel. And there are many ways to do it. Here's one:

1) Open the track into the Midi editor

2) At the top left you will see 3 icons - Piano Roll, Named Notes and Event List.

3) Click on the Event List icon and you will see a column called Channel which shows the current channel.
Want to change the channel? Click the top item in any column and then shift-click to the bottom item. Everything should now be highlighted. Now right-click and you will see a menu that includes CHANNEL and offers you a choice of 1-16. Select the channel you want. Now click anywhere else and wait a moment and the channel will change.
Michael AD is offline   Reply With Quote