Old 05-08-2019, 09:55 AM   #1
Edgemeal
Human being with feelings

Default v5.977+dev0508 - May 8 2019

v5.977+dev0508 - May 8 2019
+ ARA: improve drag and drop behavior when copying to other tracks
+ ARA: improve selection/undo history behavior when adding ARA plug-ins to existing FX chain [p=2131258]
+ Automation items: fix issues with bypass envelopes and PDC [t=220633]
+ Notation editor: improve phrase handling when some notes are filtered out [t=220652]
# API: MIDIEditor_SetSetting_int() return false if invalid MIDI editor or empty setting string

Full changelog / Latest pre-releases
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:19 AM   #2
mccrabney

"color midi by track" is slippin. default theme, portable install:

0506: selected notes are clearly indicated by black outline

0508: none of the above
mccrabney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:33 AM   #3
Edgemeal

Quote:
+ Automation items: fix issues with bypass envelopes and PDC [t=220633]
Looking good chief!
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:34 AM   #4
schwa
Administrator

dev0508 actually fixes (or at least changes) an existing bug that uses the "color by source" color for the border when coloring by track or media item.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:43 AM   #5
schwa
Administrator

For all of this colormap stuff, we are thinking on our side that the colormap will generally need to be rethought before this CC-as-square-envelope feature goes live. For compatibility with existing themes, I would love an organized recommendation from you fine users as to what parts of existing colormaps should be used in what ways. The most important consideration is that it is useable with the v5 default theme.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:49 AM   #6
mccrabney

thanks, i'll try something different to best indicate when a midi note/cc is selected!
Old 05-08-2019, 10:58 AM   #7
mccrabney

i'll need to brush up on the colormap and its function. for others in the same position, this thread is a good start.

commala describes the color-by-source bug.

now, i'm thinking about just using a wacky color (one i never use for track color) to indicate selected notes. too bad i already chose all the cool ones.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:32 AM   #8
mccrabney

not having much luck here.

i see in the theme tweaker that selected / unselected midi notes are overridden by midicolormap.

to test, i backed up the theme i typically use and then deleted midicolormap from the zip. afterwards, i went back to the theme tweaker and attempted to set selected color to a bright red. this had no effect on selected midi being colored by tracks (or any other color options, actually). this is also the case for Default 5, which does not contain a colormap.

do we have access to changing the color of midi data that is selected/unselected for color-by-track midi?
Old 05-08-2019, 01:16 PM   #9
Subz

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
For all of this colormap stuff, we are thinking on our side that the colormap will generally need to be rethought before this CC-as-square-envelope feature goes live. For compatibility with existing themes, I would love an organized recommendation from you fine users as to what parts of existing colormaps should be used in what ways. The most important consideration is that it is useable with the v5 default theme.
its fine as is just too transparent, that's what makes it not to clear imo

Subz
Subz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 01:31 PM   #10
juliansader

In dev0503, left-drag CC drawing was wonderfully precise and accurate. CC values only changed when the mouse moved over the lollipop, similar to the (apparently deprecated) option "Velocity lane -> Edit only when mouse is over velocity bar".

Sometime in dev0505 or dev0506 this changed, and left-drag drawing is now horribly INaccurate again, since CC values follow mouse movement in-between the lollipops.

Here is an old GIF demonstrating the problem:
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 01:37 PM   #11
ferropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
In dev0503, left-drag CC drawing was wonderfully precise and accurate. CC values only changed when the mouse moved over the lollipop, similar to the (apparently deprecated) option "Velocity lane -> Edit only when mouse is over velocity bar".

Sometime in dev0505 or dev0506 this changed, and left-drag drawing is now horribly INaccurate again, since CC values follow mouse movement in-between the lollipops.

Can vouch...the top part of the gif is gorgeous and natural, and the bottom is super problematic and prone to frustration.
ferropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 04:06 PM   #12
ovnis

When CC is set to 0, we should see something (exactly like automation envelope).

ovnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 02:59 AM   #13
bFooz

Quote:
+ Notation editor: improve phrase handling when some notes are filtered out [t=220652]
Working well so far.
bFooz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 05:09 AM   #14
Soli Deo Gloria

Quote:

Since I´m not as tech-savvy as other users here, I´ll leave to Gofer and others the explanation about gradients, etc. All I can add to this discussion probably summarizes with this two velocity-related images from dev0505 that I posted in a previous thread :

At least with the default color map, if selection of events is done with a color that is related to the original color of the note/event and at the same time is sharp enough and quite contrasting as to come to the forefront in any context (far zoom, 0 values ,etc.), then it visually works. This includes for me the coloring of lollipops, nodes and lengths (in the case of velocities). With events such as CCs, Program, Pitch, etc., the surface beneath the nodes can be highlighted with a transparent version of the selection color, in order to let other events in the background to be seen clearly.

All I suggest above has almost been accomplished in dev0508, except for the reluctance to highlight nodes themselves and velocity lengths in the lanes (a reluctance which I frankly can´t understand) :

Again, it has to be remarked that, for example, the selected CC event below the third note is not discernible at all, hence my insistence in the coloring of nodes and all aspects of the selected event.

I imagine that this concept I´m talking about can be transferred to any of the existing themes & color maps, but of course their authors can give much better and informed insights in that regard. Regarding the default color map, I think I can´t add much to what I´m trying to explain here.

Last edited by Soli Deo Gloria; 05-09-2019 at 12:47 PM.
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:08 AM   #15
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post

Call me crazy but I actually like the second method more since it at least provides immediate feedback. The first method only shows you the new CC event after you've passed the whole grid division, which feels sluggish to me. I want to be able to use the whole grid division area between two CC values to changethe preceeding node's value, it's a bigger hit area hence easier to tweak it, particularly individual events.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:19 AM   #16
dupont

Is it no more possible to globally adjust the velocity of the selected notes ?
absolute and relatve.
dupont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 11:15 AM   #17
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
I want to be able to use the whole grid division area between two CC values to change the preceding node's value, it's a bigger hit area hence easier to tweak it, particularly individual event
I think the mouse modifier for "Move CC event on one axis only" would be more suitable for such editing of individual events.

From previous discussions on the problem, it seems that some users would like to use the "Draw/Edit" mouse modifiers for two distinct types of editing:
* painting curves, and
* "Move on one axis only" editing of individual events.

I suggest that these can be reconciled, if the "Draw/Edit" actions are upgraded to offer both of the above editing modes, and the mode is determined by initial mouse movement (similar to the "Move on one axis only" actions):
* If the initial mouse movement is up or down, edit the nearest individual event;
* If the initial mouse movement is left or right, paint curves with "Edit only when mouse is over lollipop".
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 12:09 PM   #18
EvilDragon

No I want to edit nearest event when the movement is left-right AND up-down.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:40 AM   #19
Breeder

Quote:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=219426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeder View Post
If MIDI note map is one of those that paints only the borders of the note then notes length will be black instead of colorful.

Examples:
1. Default theme:

2. Random theme with MIDI note map that displays the issue:

This is the color map that displays the issuse:
https://stash.reaper.fm/36033/midi_note_colormap.png
Breeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 02:59 AM   #20
bFooz

What I would suggest is to have a different color map for notation. If that was not accessible, then the MIDI editor map would be used.

The reason is that the notation is usually over the white BG but the MIDI editor can vary a lot theme to theme.
bFooz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 12:17 PM   #21
ferropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
No I want to edit nearest event when the movement is left-right AND up-down.
In any circumstance it's super important to have the "smooth" mode available too. I see use cases for both...but certainly not one over the other. It's a daily struggle trying to quickly draw in velocity "curves" (ie, a hihat crescendo) with any sort of accuracy.

The result is usually an accidental flubbing of the surrounding velocities, which could be a drastic change depending on what you are using velocity for.

ie. in Serum, assigning Velocity to the comb filter. The slightest change in velocity can trigger huge differences in sound.
ie2. a "velocity-based keyswitch" like the Orange Tree "Evolution Strawberry" guitar -- where anything below velocity 64 is muted guitar, anything between 64 and 96 is xyz, etc.

...but both woklflows have their place, just not one over the other.
ferropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 01:08 PM   #22
EvilDragon

Valid point there.