Old 04-28-2019, 07:58 AM   #121
hopi
Human being with feelings

really nice direction and amazing work by WT as always...
I like the scriptable lua... very kewl

and the saleable is very nice and very timely.... and important to me.

So hey, this is under development and will get some changes as it shakes out... but so far.... great, "I'm IN"

oh and "...adds more complexity..." Well guys, no one HAS to use it but if yer gonna get into reaper, you better like complexity... LoL
Old 04-28-2019, 08:12 AM   #122
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Again, not involving the forum in design is very different to not including the community in the theme, which I did.

The thing a few people people are complaining about is that I got the design decisions squared away before coming to the forum, but they are conflating this with me being unwilling to listen to valid ideas from anyone going forwards. That's a loooong stretch from me truthfully pointing out the hard learnt lesson that back and forth design discussions on the forum go nowhere. This kind of communication problem is, in itself, a salient example of why it doesn't work.

The styling is done. The theme is unpolished and full of bugs. The script is very alpha. I'm asking for help. And I'm honestly preparing the ground that if your first thought is "okay, lets rethink that styling..." then no. Its done.

I am not going to do design by committee on the forum. Never again.
Old 04-28-2019, 08:25 AM   #123
Valle

I like it! The final of this default theme is going to be absolutely great! Flat ‘n nice! Simplicity is king!

(I also completely understand and support White Tie’s point regarding the design by committee thing. Too many cooks will always be too many.)
Old 04-28-2019, 08:33 AM   #124
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

OMG its Valle... Theme team assemble!

On second thoughts, let's not
Old 04-28-2019, 08:35 AM   #125
+NRG

White Tie,

I think this will be a big step into the future of REAPER. The theme reminds me of the session mixer from V5, expanded into the TCP, which is something I’ve always liked...

The scriptable aspect will help many users to customize REAPER to their needs and the capabilities will most likely expand in the future.

Good work! I look forward to seeing how this develops and thanks for taking input and interacting with the community!

Unfortunately, I can’t test it out until next weekend B(
Old 04-28-2019, 08:54 AM   #126
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
Again, not involving the forum in design is very different to not including the community in the theme, which I did.

The thing a few people people are complaining about is that I got the design decisions squared away before coming to the forum, but they are conflating this with me being unwilling to listen to valid ideas from anyone going forwards. That's a loooong stretch from me truthfully pointing out the hard learnt lesson that back and forth design discussions on the forum go nowhere. This kind of communication problem is, in itself, a salient example of why it doesn't work.

The styling is done. The theme is unpolished and full of bugs. The script is very alpha. I'm asking for help. And I'm honestly preparing the ground that if your first thought is "okay, lets rethink that styling..." then no. Its done.

I am not going to do design by committee on the forum. Never again.
Then I don't know what the "community" is. I would think that most people here think of the forum and community interchangeably. Maybe I'm wrong. What is community then ?

White Tie,

Regarding the styling already done...... did you ever ask the forum if they would prefer Imperial or another theme for the default theme for Reaper 6 ? Why not ? Don't you want the users to get what they want, seriously ? I really find the theming so forced without user input especially as it seems the code has not changed to making actual theming easier.
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 08:55 AM   #127
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valle View Post
I like it! The final of this default theme is going to be absolutely great! Flat ‘n nice! Simplicity is king!

(I also completely understand and support White Tie’s point regarding the design by committee thing. Too many cooks will always be too many.)
Other cooks are great at letting you know when you can't taste the food because you smoke and are adding too much salt.
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 09:32 AM   #128
xpander

Quote:
The interaction between per-track layout assignments (which is what the script uses) and the existing 'default' layout assignments (as set in Options > Layouts or the Screensets/Layouts window) is extremely muddled and I'm not clear on which direction to take to resolve this. Your thoughts would be most welcome.
Trying to first recap here how it seems to work right now.

When the Default_6 theme is first called, it opens with the Default layout for all the panels. If user then chooses A, B or C layout from the Options/Layouts menu, the given layout is loaded.

Editing the theme adjuster layouts
If user wants to change how any of these 3 layouts look and behave, they can run the Default_6.0 theme adjuster script and make the changes in there.

This theme adjuster has 3 layouts (A, B, C) for the track and mixer panels just like the theme has. When user makes changes to any of the layout setups, the changed parameters will get saved to the reaper-themeconfig.ini file in Reaper main resource folder.

Applying the changes made in theme adjuster
Now if user had already selected a certain layout in Reaper, e.g. layout A, the changes made in the theme adjuster layout A will come visible/effective right away. If the layout selected in Reaper is something else, user can apply the theme adjuster layout by using the button "Apply this layout to selected tracks". If no tracks were selected, this buttons reads first "Select track(s) to apply this layout".

Even if user doesn't apply the layout with that button right away, next time the layout is switched in Reaper to the layout just edited in theme adjuster, the changes will become visible.

---
If I didn't miss anything crucial so far, I think this system works pretty good.

My initial confusion was adjusting a layout in the theme adjuster and not seeing the changes reflected on panels immediately, while on other occasions they were immediate. This was due to not realizing at first that if you have already selected the given layout in Reaper, changes are immediate. Otherwise you'll have to apply the changes with the button, or change the layout first.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 09:39 AM   #129
airon

Very interesting work. It took a bit to get in to, and I'm seeing the value in such an adjustment script.

Nice clarity, keeping coloured sections apart from some controls. Coloured track name text in the MCP and TCP. Consistent. I like that a lot.

I like the Routing button on the MCP. I can get used to those colours, though I do wonder why "Route" is pasted across the button on the TCP. That obscures the colour stripes on the routing button. This was not done on the MCP even with space being available. Instead that label can appear below. Makes it a bit busier than I'd like and slows down the scan of that button for me.

The conditions for hiding elements will be very useful.

Two unpractical bits I uncovered are on the MCP. Perhaps you do not control this in the theme, or it's simply a work in progress.

-edit- I discovered that one aspect of my complaint was an oversight of my own, the red text on the send button. Apologies.

In automation writing modes such as Latch, Write, Latch Preview and Touch controls are coloured in red while latched, yellow when ready to be latched, green when read-only and grey when not automated.In the case of the sends, that thin red circle around the little value indicator to the right of the send button text is red when that send volume is latched. It is of absolute importance that it is visible at a glance during a mix.

Reaper has no visual feedback mechanisms beyond this one indicator for this latched status, if you don't keep an I/O window open for every track. As of now this razor thin circle line is barely visible and thus not practical as an indicator of anything.

Second, the text of the MCP parameter knobs are muted in colour, even when latched. I have difficulty reading those parameter names.

A screenshot with all tracks in READ mode. If you look really hard, the green can be spotted on the send volume level, but only just.
https://i.imgur.com/opU75U5.png

And I see that I'll need to make my own automation buttons again. They're among my most important indicators, and I'll likely want to change the order of buttons anyway. Personal preference.

Last edited by airon; 04-28-2019 at 09:55 AM.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 09:40 AM   #130
bFooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
My initial confusion was adjusting a layout in the theme adjuster and not seeing the changes reflected on panels immediately...
I was confused with this as well.

Maybe if it was more clear that the main section is "Edit layout" and then the button to apply current layout to selected track could be somewhere on side or not so prominent.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:47 AM   #131
bFooz

Sends in MCP:

When hovering over disabled send, there is a small bright area on the left which is confusing. "Does it mean the send volume just dropped to -inf?" This is especially so when disabling the send.

Old 04-28-2019, 09:57 AM   #132
Valle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
Other cooks are great at letting you know when you can't taste the food because you smoke and are adding too much salt.
That cook wouldn't have made team membership in the first place

Anyway, designing a default theme isn't as much "let's take a few days to vote and debate on the color of the solo-button when activated" as it is working after pretty much on beforehand given instructions and as effectively as possible. It's not as much "what color is the best" as it is "what color(s) should we avoid at all costs". As soon as one of the cooks is lobbying for personal preferences instead of staying truthful to the concept, we immediately need to call Houston ...

So let's just use this Alpha, fool around with it and report all obvious bugs. Because there is no doubt that White Tie will deliver a great final V6 default theme. Like he's done before (especially when I was involved ). Not that he needs my defense, he's a big lad ...

Sorry for OT:ing.

Last edited by Valle; 04-28-2019 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Pretty embarrassing typo
Valle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:06 AM   #133
Jack Winter

Quote:
So let's just use this Alpha, fool around with it and report all obvious bugs. Because there is no doubt that White Tie will deliver a great final V6 default team. Like he's done before (especially when I was involved ). Not that he needs my defense, he's a big lad ...

Sorry for OT:ing.
I agree 100% with this.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040,etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:18 AM   #134
bFooz

Toolbar inactive tabs need to go lower.

Old 04-28-2019, 10:25 AM   #135
franzwam

Hi folks,

cannot properly call that a bug, but at least a very annoying behavior.
In the MCP, I have unselected tracks without the sidebar, and selected tracks with it.
So when I click on an unselected track, it becomes larger, and the previously selected one shrinks down.

When I select a track on a zone that after selection becomes the Insert list, it opens the FX Browser. I have to click on a zone that stays "useless" after resizing (e.g. name or track number) if I just want to select a new track without any other intent.

After some tests, it's not just the FX Browser, but also the input list. However Mute and Phase do not seem to be affected ...
Old 04-28-2019, 10:27 AM   #136
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bFooz View Post
Toolbar inactive tabs need to go lower.
Why? It is easier to distinguish, which one is activated.
SoundCloudFR: True Non-destructive GLUEAll the REAPER names
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:28 AM   #137
franzwam

Concerning the routing button, the stripes do not disturb me by themselves, but the unused ones (send/receive by default) are not greyed-out enough. In less than 15 minutes, I have thought more than 5 times that my tracks were incorrectly sending and receiving some other tracks.

My 2 cents.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:52 AM   #138
EvilDragon

Quote:
Because there is no doubt that White Tie will deliver a great final V6 default theme. Like he's done before (especially when I was involved ).
I wouldn't say that v5 had a "great" default theme, tho.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:52 AM   #139
franzwam

As it is possible to dim the colors through your script page, it would be nice to do the opposite and brighten it up.
I found myself a little "heavy" on the dim button, and I had to recolor everything instead of just going one step backwards.

Another thing about colors, it does not work on previously uncolored tracks.
I have to give it a color (even random) to make it affected by the "Recolor project using this palette", otherwise it stays blank.
Old 04-28-2019, 11:00 AM   #140
bFooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by franzwam View Post
As it is possible to dim the colors through your script page, it would be nice to do the opposite and brighten it up.
+1 .
Old 04-28-2019, 11:05 AM   #141
franzwam

In the TCP script menu, I don't really get what "Auto" does for Name Size.
It seems to me that it is equivalent to the value "50".
Old 04-28-2019, 11:07 AM   #142
vitalker

Quote:
It is a bit messy for now. The same with envelope name sizes.
SoundCloudFR: True Non-destructive GLUEAll the REAPER names
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 11:25 AM   #143
franzwam

The script interface is totally wrecked when docked.
Old 04-28-2019, 11:37 AM   #144
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
If I didn't miss anything crucial so far, I think this system works pretty good.

My initial confusion was adjusting a layout in the theme adjuster and not seeing the changes reflected on panels immediately, while on other occasions they were immediate. This was due to not realizing at first that if you have already selected the given layout in Reaper, changes are immediate. Otherwise you'll have to apply the changes with the button, or change the layout first.
Its a tricky one, isn't it? It gets trickier yet when you include the scale stuff, and changes made to the 'default' layout.

I have been considering removing the controls from a layout if that layout isn't applied to any tracks, so its nothing but the 'apply' button. That would clarify the need to assign, but might it seem a bit heavy handed? Perhaps its one of those things I just need to do before a judgement can really be made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
In automation writing modes such as Latch, Write, Latch Preview and Touch controls are coloured in red while latched, yellow when ready to be latched, green when read-only and grey when not automated.In the case of the sends, that thin red circle around the little value indicator to the right of the send button text is red when that send volume is latched. It is of absolute importance that it is visible at a glance during a mix.

Reaper has no visual feedback mechanisms beyond this one indicator for this latched status, if you don't keep an I/O window open for every track. As of now this razor thin circle line is barely visible and thus not practical as an indicator of anything.

Second, the text of the MCP parameter knobs are muted in colour, even when latched. I have difficulty reading those parameter names.

A screenshot with all tracks in READ mode. If you look really hard, the green can be spotted on the send volume level, but only just.
I'd forgotten about the param text and its color weirdness in automation, thanks. I'll get to that; please remind me if I forget.

I'm not clear what you're showing with the sends, there's no ambiguity that the track is in read, right? I think I'm missing your point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bFooz View Post
Sends in MCP:

When hovering over disabled send, there is a small bright area on the left which is confusing. "Does it mean the send volume just dropped to -inf?" This is especially so when disabling the send.
I don't know what that is, I'll investigate; thanks.

Quote:
Hi folks,

cannot properly call that a bug, but at least a very annoying behavior.
In the MCP, I have unselected tracks without the sidebar, and selected tracks with it.
So when I click on an unselected track, it becomes larger, and the previously selected one shrinks down.

When I select a track on a zone that after selection becomes the Insert list, it opens the FX Browser. I have to click on a zone that stays "useless" after resizing (e.g. name or track number) if I just want to select a new track without any other intent.

After some tests, it's not just the FX Browser, but also the input list. However Mute and Phase do not seem to be affected ...
I'm not sure what you're describing ...any chance of a screen capture please? And what OS are you using?

Quote:
Concerning the routing button, the stripes do not disturb me by themselves, but the unused ones (send/receive by default) are not greyed-out enough. In less than 15 minutes, I have thought more than 5 times that my tracks were incorrectly sending and receiving some other tracks.
The dimmed strips make sure the routing button looks like the routing button when drawn small without a label, which is a worthwhile value, so I'd be loathe to make them any dimmer. Are you getting used to this the more you use the theme?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
pffft.

Quote:
I found myself a little "heavy" on the dim button, and I had to recolor everything instead of just going one step backwards.

Another thing about colors, it does not work on previously uncolored tracks.
I have to give it a color (even random) to make it affected by the "Recolor project using this palette", otherwise it stays blank.
The dim button should set an undo point, can you try that please?

If I made the palette apply affect non-custom colored tracks, people who didn't want that would find it maddening. Whereas you, wanting that, have the easy option of just spamming some color in. So the way it is seems less evil. Fair enough?

Quote:
There is indeed wonkiness here, but different people seem to get different wonkiness so I'm struggling to track it down.

Do you mean when you change the name length? Because then, does it update if you do something in Reaper like change track selection? Reaper doesn't currently inform scripts that a track name has changed, you have to keep asking, which I want to avoid doing.

There is a minimum size for auto length, is it possible that's what you're seeing?
Old 04-28-2019, 11:40 AM   #145
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Randolph View Post
As it stands, anyone that looks at the title, skims the OP and reads accompanying posts will think that you want feedback on the theme, which is exactly what you've been getting.
I do want feedback on the theme. People are implying that I don't, the error is theirs. I'm just saying that the styling job is done, which it is.
Old 04-28-2019, 11:45 AM   #146
Valle

Quote:
Well, of course, it's not great for everyone. I myself, though, haven't used any other theme but the default since V4, and even then only for a very short time. So the default has always been the best choice for me.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:14 PM   #147
franzwam

Quote:
I'm not sure what you're describing ...any chance of a screen capture please? And what OS are you using?
I'm using Windows 10 with the x64 version of Reaper v5.974+dev0425a.
Licecap attached (sorry for the low fps and low res, but staying under 64kB is hard !)

Quote:
The dimmed strips make sure the routing button looks like the routing button when drawn small without a label, which is a worthwhile value, so I'd be loathe to make them any dimmer. Are you getting used to this the more you use the theme?
To me this issue is not exclusive to the labeled routing button. The small squarish one brings the same impression to me. In fact, in my previous post, I was talking about the small unlabeled one on the MCP. I find it even more deceptive without the white text in front of it (matter of contrast I presume ?)
I'm sure I'll get over it.
But I'm also sure that others will encounter the same problem.

Quote:
The dim button should set an undo point, can you try that please?
Indeed, it works as expected and for both "all tracks" and "selected tracks".
But if you have some time to kill some day, I'd still appreciate the feature ! :-P

Quote:
If I made the palette apply affect non-custom colored tracks, people who didn't want that would find it maddening. Whereas you, wanting that, have the easy option of just spamming some color in. So the way it is seems less evil. Fair enough?
Deal.

Quote:
There is indeed wonkiness here, but different people seem to get different wonkiness so I'm struggling to track it down.

Do you mean when you change the name length? Because then, does it update if you do something in Reaper like change track selection? Reaper doesn't currently inform scripts that a track name has changed, you have to keep asking, which I want to avoid doing.

There is a minimum size for auto length, is it possible that's what you're seeing?
I've tried many things, sometimes it works, sometimes not. I have to dig a bit deeper before giving your a reproducer.

One additional thought, is it expected that the volume and pan labels in the TCP are only displayed when the track is selected ? I'd like that on every track. (occurs even when nothing is checked in the script panel).
Attached Images
File Type: gif sidebar_v6.gif (49.7 KB, 109 views)
Old 04-28-2019, 12:17 PM   #148
Eliseat

I'm surprised to see the V6 theme before the release. I thought this would be part of the big surprise.

I only watched briefly over the design as I was a designer for several years. And I have to say that the concept seems not stringent. You see plain flat elements next to 3D or glassy looking elements and even knobs that just pop out like from 90ies websites (default volume <- Was the first thing I changed!).
I like the new clear track list and the overall darker coloring. This all looks sharp and clean, definitely better than V5. The route button offers a lot of confusion as it is nearly impossible to see at the first sight whats going on. It even would be better to show the plain button without the text "route" because the learning effect of how to find the routing is way faster completed than watching behind the "Route" for years. "R M S" colored blocks or arrows would be more intuitive.

The fixed M S buttons are great as this was a problem if the tracks got to small and moved those buttons. But again this looks kind of strange next to the more flat FX and routing buttons and all that looks strange next to the (most) disturbing volume button.

I did not read all about the new script features. But I will test it in the next days.

Many thanks for giving us a sneak preview. And of course for your hard work.

Greetings
Eli
Old 04-28-2019, 12:33 PM   #149
Bod

I would like to see the UI scale automatically depending on what DPI and/or res you're using?

I'm looking at Studio One and Ableton Live and they pretty much do it without anyone having to get elbow deep in customization. Obviously, it's nice to have options, but it should look great and usable from the first time it's installed, not after spending an hour figuring out how to select 150%/200% layouts etc.

I'm keeping an open mind regarding this approach as it's early days, but I expected V6 to start to head towards a more intelligent vector-based UI, so I have to confess I'm a bit disappointed.
Bod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 12:34 PM   #150
airon

Quote:
I'd forgotten about the param text and its color weirdness in automation, thanks. I'll get to that; please remind me if I forget.

I'm not clear what you're showing with the sends, there's no ambiguity that the track is in read, right? I think I'm missing your point.
Possible. To clarify, the send volume is indicated as being latched if it turns red, but that red colour is only applied to the very thin ring around the volume control of the send itself on the MCP. It's a very light little ring that is easy to miss.

I do suspect that this is Justins doing.

First, here's what this looks like in the Reaper 5 theme (some customization but not on the sends).

Second, here's the way this looks in the Reaper 6 theme as it stands.

In both shots, the tracks are in Latch Preview mode, some parameters are latched, including the SEND VOLUME, as well as a few other parameters for good measure to show off the difference on the parameter knob section of the MCP.

The latched status, i.e. the red ring around the tiny little send volume control, is much more visible and a clear indication in the Reaper 5 theme. Far less so in the new theme.

The red text on the send indicates that it's muted, but that's ok. I don't even see that any more. They're usually all muted by default, so I only look for unmuted ones.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 12:41 PM   #151
bFooz

MIDI - colors of notes does not work well for notation.

This is coloring by channel. In the piano roll, they are excellent though.

Old 04-28-2019, 12:46 PM   #152
JamesPeters

When a track is selected, TCP images involving the selected track are brighter than the MCP images. So when you select a track, it looks brighter in the TCP than it does in the MCP.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:51 PM   #153
heda

Congratulations White Tie
nice work on the script to modify layouts.

Some feedback if you want:
Route button TCP
I don't like the "Route" text over the stripes. MCP version looks better.

Track Colors:
I like tracks colors are now the true colors
But selected tracks are changing the track color and it is still not clear to see. Maybe a border solution instead of brightening all the track would be good.

Master track TCP:
Master track on TCP has large blurry buttons and FX chain button is stretched.

Toolbar icons background
toolbar icons, don't have a border now? For example if you have a toolbar with all text buttons, you only see texts, without the button borders... this is to have a more flat look? maybe a mouse over different background color would help to define the button at least when the mouse is over the button.

Polarity button:
is the polarity(phase) button as important as the Mute and Solo buttons to have it right there to the side? There is no way to hide the button from the script. And what if you want to see it but track height is not enough? I think it should be moved to the other columns, where the panning, route, etc buttons are.

Thanks!
Old 04-28-2019, 12:53 PM   #154
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bod View Post
I'm looking at Studio One and Ableton Live and they pretty much do it without anyone having to get elbow deep in customization.
Live has a pretty much completely vectorized GUI so scaling is easy there. S1 also uses more vector than bitmap elements AFAIK (or could be it's also mostly if not completely vectorized). Reaper, on the other hand, is mostly bitmap based, and this is what creates the biggest problem in easy HiDPI support. And this could be helped by supporting SVG in themes to replace PNGs.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 12:58 PM   #155
fladd

It is not clear how the scaling works (150%, 200%). It just seems to make everything huge. It seems Reaper is not aware that I am actually using a HDMI display (e.g. retina). Everything is still blurry, just like it used to be with other themes.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:00 PM   #156
lowellben

I really like this theme. My only concern is that, aside from the "default" TCP layout size, all of the % larger layout options for TCP make the track name slot SO small you only see a few letters. Unusable imo at that point.
All your tracks would look like this when you use say 150 or 200%

Dru
Dru
Keyb
Samp

instead of

Drums 1
Drums 2
Keyboard SFX
Sampler Solo

So while it's nice to have a GUI size increase, not at the cost of losing valuable track name information imo. Other than that, I love the new theme overall. The colors are way too strong even with the script changes, I wish it was just option for tint the edge of the track vs. entire rectangle in the TCP. Like other v5 themes had this. Great work WT.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:24 PM   #157
franzwam

@White-Tie

I got it !

Wooh it was a tough one !

It only affects Layouts B and C. Layout A is OK.
And once the problem has occured, even Layout A is "corrupted".

I smell the uninitialized variable somewhere.

A way to reproduce it 100% on my rig is:

1/ Launch Reaper
2/ Add 2 tracks
3/ Rename the first track (either short or too long for the current display)
4/ Open script panel
5/ Apply the desired layout (B or C) with "Auto" length for the track name
6/ Rename the second track with a longer name than the 1st one
7/ Apply whatever layout
8/ See a bug ?

The bug does not appear if :
- you change the layout once you have the longest name
- you use layout A

And this annoying fella has a little brother (partially investigated). With layout B (and C ?) the volume length is considered as part of the Track name length.
So if you have a long fader, most of the name will be hidden behind it, and lead to a tiny Track Name length.

Hope it helps !
Old 04-28-2019, 01:27 PM   #158
franzwam

Quote:
Originally Posted by fladd View Post
It is not clear how the scaling works (150%, 200%). It just seems to make everything huge. It seems Reaper is not aware that I am actually using a HDMI display (e.g. retina). Everything is still blurry, just like it used to be with other themes.
+1

I especially don't get how the scaling works in the script panel.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:28 PM   #159
hopi

Mr. Tie, Sir... I feel for ya... I hope you can take whatever shows up here in stride and not get waylaid by whatever input is not what you asked for...
I for one, GREATLY appreciate your excellent work... both in the past and currently.

FWIW, I see a comment by HeDa about maybe having borders on selected TCP and MCP panels.... I like that also but I'm not asking for it.
I just did the mod myself... it is only 6 png files and if anyone wants them I'm happy to share.
[Even though it is likely too early to mod this one ]

What ED says about vector themes ...yeah... would be nice someday but we got what we got for now. hahaha... doing mods in vector art would be a shock to a lotta people IMHO.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:34 PM   #160
Bod

Quote:
Live has a pretty much completely vectorized GUI so scaling is easy there. S1 also uses more vector than bitmap elements AFAIK (or could be it's also mostly if not completely vectorized). Reaper, on the other hand, is mostly bitmap based, and this is what creates the biggest problem in easy HiDPI support. And this could be helped by supporting SVG in themes to replace PNGs.
Yeah, I understand that, but what better point to change that than a major version release? The script is great and works really well even at this stage, but so much of Reaper seems like a workaround, and it'd be great if it scaled correctly "out of the box".
Bod is offline   Reply With Quote