Old 11-11-2009, 07:20 AM   #1
Dexter_prog
Human being with feelings

Default [3.141, all versions] Glitches when adding automations

I am recording some guitars and I've set 2 automations to the rythm guitars bus:
- Volume
- EQ wet/dry(Waves Q1)

But for some reason, when Reaper reads the first change in volume adds a little glitch.

I couldn't find anything in the manual or in the forums. What could be happening?

(Glitches are at 00:03.00 and 00:04.30 approx.): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1643345/glitch.mp3
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot - 2009.11.11 - (11.19.11).jpg (94.1 KB, 210 views)

Last edited by Dexter_prog; 11-17-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Dexter_prog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:00 PM   #2
Dexter_prog

Quote:
Originally Posted by moliere View Post
Can't really help you except to say that I don't have any problems with my volume automation here introducing any glitches, so its not an inherent Reaper problem.
I'm thinking it's something about the config file, but I keep changing values and reseting them to default when they produce no change. Could you send me your config file so I give it a try? Anyway, I recently did a fresh install so I doubt it'll help

PD: I tried it in another computer, same problem.

UPDATE: found something weird. If I create the automation envelope by doing a time selection and then using the sliders it does not produce that crackling sound, but if I create them using my mouse ... those damn pops show up! Example:

Shorter ones: made using time selection + slider (clicking on the automation slider and moving it all the way to the left
longer ones: using 4 ALT + click and arranging them

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1643345/reap...0no%20pops.mp3

[img]http://img22.**************/img22/5759/screenshot2009111723021.jpg[/img]

Last edited by Dexter_prog; 11-17-2009 at 07:06 PM.
Dexter_prog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:36 PM   #3
Mr. Data

Hi Dexter,

it could help if you don't try to have the higher and the lower value at the same time (position). Set the shape to "linear" instead of "square" if you haven't done already and if you're going from a higher value to a lower, set the node for the lower a bit later (or the node for the higher a bit earlier). Maybe that solves the problem. Eq-ing can introduce phase shifts, hence glitches if values are changed too rapidly, especially with lower frequencies.

You could also try to split your item at the positions in question and insert the eq directly on the item. If you then do (very) short crossfades at the split points it shouldn't glitch either.

HTH

-Data
Mr. Data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 03:56 AM   #4
shakey.oberon

For the same reason you add little fades on the ends of takes to avoid clicks, you should generally not use 90 degree angles on automation on something which is audible. The change will be too quick and will sometimes cause a click.
shakey.oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:26 AM   #5
Dexter_prog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Data View Post
Hi Dexter,

it could help if you don't try to have the higher and the lower value at the same time (position). Set the shape to "linear" instead of "square" if you haven't done already and if you're going from a higher value to a lower, set the node for the lower a bit later (or the node for the higher a bit earlier). Maybe that solves the problem. Eq-ing can introduce phase shifts, hence glitches if values are changed too rapidly, especially with lower frequencies.

You could also try to split your item at the positions in question and insert the eq directly on the item. If you then do (very) short crossfades at the split points it shouldn't glitch either.

HTH

-Data
Yeah, separating the dots solved it, but, is there any way to have this done by default. I mean, it's kind of a pain to do it by hand every time
Old 11-18-2009, 07:22 AM   #6
Mr. Data

If you have envelopes like shown in your pics, I'd do it like you have tried it already. See your post at "UPDATE:".

-Data
Mr. Data is offline   Reply With Quote