Old 10-30-2015, 10:58 AM   #1
mschnell
Human being with feelings

Default "Patch and Transpose"

Let me know, if anybody is interested in this (not yet totally completely finished) JSFX featuring a GUI with keyboard shortcuts, Buttons, Text Editors and up to 1000 Sliders ( ) -> http://www.bschnell.de/patch.pdf

Short description:

The main purpose of the Patch and Transpose plugin is supporting musicians that do live playing VSTs, using Reaper as a VST host.
Here it provides two different functions:

1. Transpose the notes in a Midi data stream that is run through the plugin.
2. Manage Patch changes of VSTs or external hardware devices via Midi messages.

Both functions are done in a single “effect” plugin, as in a DAW, only one plugin's GUI window can have the focus and hence will receive computer-keyboard shortcut messages. As one of the purposes of Patch and Transpose is to make the functions available via computer-keyboard shortcuts, they need to be merged within a single plugin.

The patch management provides as well direct calling patches as handling multiple set-lists that each hold a number of patch specifications that can be stepped through with inc/dec actions.

The patch management is controlled by Midi input and keyboard shortcuts and sends out Midi messages such as “Program Change” or “CC”. With that, the Patch and Transpose plugin can control VSTs and external Midi enabled devices, but for live musicians, it is especially useful in combination with the (free) SMS “LiveConfigs” tool. Here, the Midi output is routed to LiveConfigs via the additional (free) “MidiToReaControl” plugin and activates one of the lines in a LiveConfigs Table, that in turn will switch to a “patch” (aka “program” or “sound”) that is defined by the multiple settings, LiveConfigs allows for. (See the LiveConfigs Documentation (preliminary version -> http://www.bschnell.de/LiveConfigs_1.pdf ) for details.)

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 10-30-2015 at 11:13 AM.
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:19 AM   #2
JackOnan

I just came across this post and was very surprised and disappointed that no one replied. I think its a great idea, albeit a bit complicated at first glance. I think it would be very useful for live performance.

Has there been progress or abandoned due to lack of interest?
JackOnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 04:43 PM   #3
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackOnan View Post
Has there been progress or abandoned due to lack of interest?
It works and is in use by a live virtual sax player.

As he did not need this, I did not implement midi controller input yet (he just uses the PC keyboard right now).

-Michael
Old 02-28-2018, 01:49 PM   #4
MJFarmermac

Default Yes please!

I hope this comes to fruition! Actually stumbled across this doing a search for how to route Midi from a single controller keyboard buttons to multiple VSTi's. I actually eventually want to also incorporate playing back looped samples into this setup as well, and as my knowledge and comfort level grows, so could the complexity of my setup.

outside my support for this idea, mschnell, I came across your name while I've searched multiple threads and keep finding dead ends. I've seen a live config pdf, but the screenshots differ quite a bit from what I see in the most recent Reaper SWS version. I'm also a little confused at how using a MIDI keyboard to trigger a config is different than triggering an action directly. I have experimented with placing each VSTi on a different track and making custom actions to select and record arm specific tracks based on button press, but I'm sure it's more efficient to place, for example, a Kontakt instance with multiple Kontakt VSTi's on one track but set to different MIDI channels, but can't find anywhere what to do to route MIDI from single keyboard input to different MIDI channels based on button press. If you don't feel like explaining but can point me in the right direction, that would be fab. Also, I'd be happy to hop on another thread to discuss it. Regardless, thanks for all of your tireless work on behalf of Reaper enthusiasts!
Old 02-28-2018, 03:02 PM   #5
mschnell

Unfortunately there is no really comprehensive and "easy to use" description of using Reaper for Live playing, and in fact there is not even a dedicated forum where we can discuss such issues.

So just some starting points:

I use a rather complex Live setup with two master keyboards, a four dimensional breath controller, and a controller box with Motor faders, (plus a remote-controlled Rack Mixer) all bound together with Reaper, SMS Live Configs and a lot of scripts. (Not using the additional "Patch" scripts for song-sequences, yet.) Here the hard-swiched many(!) patches suggest using LiveConfigs to mute and unmute many tracks appropriately.

I just worked with Pipe, a guitarist, to craft his "Peadal-Board" setup, which is a lot less complex, but fulfills different needs such as "spillover" types of effect blending and "auto-engaging" of certain virtual effect plugins. Here currently LiveConfigs is used, but the smooth blending suggests using other switching mechanisms (which I did a dedicated plugin for). We are currently trying do to a JSFX script that replaces LiveConfigs in this setup.

Regarding Kontakt, I found that using multiple instances in dedicated tracks for a single Keyboard seems rather complex to set up when many patches and/or additional effect plugins are required, and pushing presets onto Kontakt by LiveConfigs is not a good idea either, as with that patch change lasts very long and realtime parameter modifications are lost. So I use instrument groups and send a Midi Program Change message to Kontakt for changing the patches. (as descripbed in my LiveConfigs User Guide, which is a work in progress and will be enhanced by a Midi routing chapter soon.)

I never tried to do "looped samples" (or "background tracks" or however you call firing pre-recorded audio snippets in a Live show). But of course this is a meaningful issue in the "Reaper Live Playing universe, and already has sometimes been discussed.

I do hope (and try to help) Reaper "Live" usability keeps on evolving (also regarding that Brainspawen's Forte just died).

-Michael
Old 02-28-2018, 03:50 PM   #6
MJFarmermac

Thanks for the advice Michael. Maybe I haven't seen your user guide?? I have A pdf one from Jeffos. Can you give me a link or tell me where to find yours? I'm still hopeful that I can use live config to kludge together the functionality that I want. The beauty (and sometimes the drawback) of Reaper is that there are often multiple different ways to accomplish the same complex task, and sometimes trial and error is the only way to see what works best.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:46 PM   #7
mschnell

-> http://www.bschnell.de/LiveConfigs_1.pdf

Please come back with any questions or comments.

Due to the lack of a dedicated forum, you might want search the forums fort "LiveConfigs" for a lot more information on this issue.

Just switching patches with the program change buttons of a controller keyboard is rather easy. You need LiveConfigs, a PS2CC jsfx, and MidiToReaControlPath.

[Edit]
Now the "live" subforum does exist and we are in .

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 10-12-2019 at 10:43 PM.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:35 AM   #8
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
I never tried to do "looped samples" (or "background tracks" or however you call firing pre-recorded audio snippets in a Live show). But of course this is a meaningful issue in the "Reaper Live Playing universe, and already has sometimes been discussed.
Maybe the SWS Region playlist might be a starting point...

-Michael
Old 03-02-2018, 08:51 AM   #9
MJFarmermac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
-> http://www.bschnell.de/LiveConfigs_1.pdf

Just switching patches with the program change buttons of a controller keyboard is rather easy. You need LiveConfigs, a PS2CC jsfx, and MidiToReaControlPath.

-Michael
What is, and where do I find PS2CC jsfx? I have a bunch of JS plugs from latest reaper version, is this a separate download?

My basic problem is this- I'd ideally like to be able to use a row of buttons on my controller to switch voices- check. I've got that working through custom actions. BUT, I'd also like to be able to use the same buttons to trigger samples, or mute/unmute playing sample tracks. Was thinking I could change the MIDI channel transmitted from keyboard and route channel 1 to voice switching, channel 2 to mute/unmute, etc. However, can't assign multiple actions to same button press. wondering if I can use one of the MIDI CC switcher plugins to change the CC number of button presses, and then have another button activate/deactivate the switcher plugin to decide what I'm controlling with the buttons.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:30 PM   #10
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJFarmermac View Post
What is, and where do I find PS2CC jsfx? I have a bunch of JS plugs from latest reaper version, is this a separate download?
Sorry typo. It's called "PC to CC" (by S&M). I can post the code here, if you don't have/find it. It's really simple and converts Program change messages (such as most keyboards send) to CC messages (such as LiveConfigs needs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJFarmermac View Post
My basic problem is this ...
This of course is a very unique problem that needs a unique algorithm to work like you wish it to.

This can (rather easily) be done by JSFX programming, but supposedly there is no other way than creating dedicated code for this. (In fact some years ago, tasks like this made me switch from Forte to Reaper, as Forte was not versatile enough for my purposes.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 03-02-2018 at 11:31 PM.
Old 10-12-2019, 02:12 PM   #11
fchazz

Default live on the fly transpose

This sounds like it may be simular to what I am looking for. I had been using Cantabile Which is a vst host as well but more costly. In the Performer version (200.00), you can use what is called Globle transpose where you can take all of your instrument tracks and transpose them up or down in semitones from a midi controller such as a Beringer FCB1010. In other words during a LIVE performance. I was hoping I could use REAPER in the same way.
I use Hauptwerk Pipe Organ software in combination with the Garritan Instant Orchestra Player at the same time, so I want to tie the transposition of these two instruments together douring live play.
fchazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 10:32 PM   #12
mschnell

Let me know your specific questions if you get stuck with researching...
-Michael