Old 01-14-2020, 03:05 PM   #1
Nuby
Human being with feelings

Default Pulse per quarter note: audio vs MIDI

Hi guys

I am moving over from Logic, and have a question: MIDI is divisible into 960 ticks per quarter note, but audio seems to be divisible by only 100 ticks per quarter note. I am used to 960 for both from Logic - is this achievable in Reaper?

Thanks in advance
Nuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 04:14 PM   #2
domzy

can you clarify what you mean by "audio seems to be divisible by only 100 ticks per quarter note"?
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 05:20 PM   #3
lunker

I think the OP means the measure.beat.fraction in the TCP (and elsewhere outside the MIDI editor)

In the MIDI editor, you have the option to have the fractional part of the beat be in percentage (00-99) or in PPQ (000-959) [note that Reaper allows you to set a different PPQ value, so it doesn’t have to be 960]

But I don’t think the same option exists in the TCP. As far as I know, it’s only a percentage.

So in the MIDI editor, I can use 1.1.000 through 1.1.959, but in the TCP, I think it is limited to 1.1.00 to 1.1.99

I would love it if I could use PPQ when typing in values for envelope points, because it’s a pain to have to keep converting PPQ to a percentage. I can enter a very precise fraction (like .1124), and Reaper accepts/retains the value I type in. But after I enter it, Reaper only displays it with 2 digits (.11), which can be confusing. If using PPQ for envelope points isn't practical (in terms of updating the Reaper code), it would be nice if it at least displayed all the decimal points of the fractional beat (1.1.1124) when you open the envelope point for editing.

Perhaps this has changed since I last cared about it. It’s been a few years since I last looked into this.

Last edited by lunker; 01-14-2020 at 07:14 PM.
lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 05:45 PM   #4
enroe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuby View Post
Hi guys
I am moving over from Logic, and have a question: MIDI is divisible into 960 ticks per quarter note, but audio seems to be divisible by only 100 ticks per quarter note. I am used to 960 for both from Logic - is this achievable in Reaper?
Concerning the ruler display there are differences between Logic and
Reaper. Here is the comparsion (and suggestion).
Old 01-14-2020, 06:05 PM   #5
domzy

Right, i get it, you are basically talking about grid resolution, display etc.
Audio can be edited to sample accuracy and this depends on the sample rate - whereas ppq depnds on the tempo, so we're comparing slightly different things.
You generally have loads more resolution - ie ability to split at smaller points - with 44100khz than you would at 960ppq (unless your tempo is stupidly fast)
Old 01-14-2020, 06:38 PM   #6
Nuby

Default Thanks for responding, guys

Hi

You all seem to grasp the issue. There is something that bothers me about 100 not being divisible by 3. For instance, if I have MIDI triplets, they are equal, each occupying 320 ticks. If they are converted to audio, one must be slightly longer (100/3).

Also, at certain tempi, it is impossible to land on the second.
Check these, at 140 BPM.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kuh6edkfaf...52.10.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2xy0fwpx4m...52.00.jpg?dl=0

While I'm at it, if anyone that has read this far has had experience scoring films with Reaper, it would be great to learn how they do it. The tempo list in Logic made it easy to, for example, have a track at 120 BPM that needed to change slightly to incorporate visually motivated hits, which Logic would do nicely in the Tempo List, for example suggesting 120.034, then with 2 clicks, the next one is worked out at 118.733 etc.

I am not knocking Reaper - I just don't know enough about it yet. I have to say, the Subproject idea is pretty amazing.

Thanks all
Nuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:03 PM   #7
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuby View Post
You all seem to grasp the issue. There is something that bothers me about 100 not being divisible by 3. For instance, if I have MIDI triplets, they are equal, each occupying 320 ticks. If they are converted to audio, one must be slightly longer (100/3).
Aside from the issue of how many people can hear the difference, no, one doesn't have to be slightly longer. In the instance of triplets, you can quantise the audio items the same way you would with MIDI.
Just because the grid is displaying 1.1.66 doesn't necessarily mean it has rounded it down. If you set your resolution to 1/128 and zoom in you get more decimal points, which makes me think the decimal scale is only for guide purposes - i'm guessing the true value is being used behind the scenes, so to speak.
Besides which you can turn snap off and get far more accuracy when you zoom right in if you wish.