Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 04-16-2018, 05:35 AM   #1
sjs94704
Human being with feelings

Default I got a 2-part ?? - re: EQing & Plug-in's

I have 2 questions:

QUESTION 1:

EQing: What order should I be EQing?

Here is what I mean...

I am a singer. I have a track for each instrument for my music itself that all go into a Music BUSS. I am confident how to properly do my sends to the BUSS. I am singing to some high-quality sounding karaoke music. So, the tracks come pre-recorded. I do EQ each instrument because as received they are what I will call 'flat' sounding. When I EQ them it really makes each instrument POP and sound really good and brings out what I feel is the true sound of each instrument! I do not EQ them separately, meaning I do not solo each one, but I EQ each instrument in context with how they sound together with all the other instruments.

I then EQ the Music BUSS itself. I also use the PITCH plug-in on the Music BUSS if I need to use it to adjust to my vocal range.

I then have my vocal track which I EQ as well.

As far as the MASTER track is concerned, should I wait to EQ it until after I get all the tracks sounding the way I want, OR, should I be EQing the MASTER as I go along?

I am asking this because at the moment, in my mind, if I have any kind of EQ on the MASTER from the beginning, when I go to EQ everything else first, whatever I did to the EQ on the MASTER might interfere with the actual sound I'm trying to achieve? So, with that said, I might be answering my own question here but I'm thinking to wait to EQ the MASTER until the LAST thing to do....

Am I right?

QUESTION 2:

RE: Plug-ins

Although most of the videos I have been watching on YouTube each focus on ONE thing, I notice that quite often, many of the tracks in the videos have 5 or 6 or sometimes more plugins on them. I am very much aware that learning how to mix like that does take time and I'm not expecting to learn it all in one afternoon, BUT, I feel I have a good grasp of the basics and am interested in now taking the next step towards learning how and when to begin to 'tweak' those kinds of things and would be grateful for everyone's input on this ...

With Gratitude,

Steven
Bayside Studios
Berkeley, CA USA