Old 06-09-2014, 03:55 PM   #1
AmmoniumNitrate
Banned

Default Render v. Freeze?

Render and Freeze seem almost identical to me. When my CPU is taxed and I Freeze a stable track, it frees up some CPU for me and works fine. When would I want to use Render instead? I think I am missing something, since I don't see a substantial difference between Render and Freeze.

P.S. Maybe Rendering is intended for preparing individual tracks for transferring to another place for mastering?
AmmoniumNitrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:59 PM   #2
Xenakios
Human being with feelings

Difference in workflow. Frozen tracks can be unfreezed later, giving back editing access to the original track. If you render a track to a new track, you need to organize that yourself. (For example by keeping the original track around muted, which can get messy, even if you hide the track from the track control panel.)
--
Xenakios blog (about HourGlass, Paul(X)Stretch and λ) :
http://xenakios.wordpress.com/
Xenakios is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:27 PM   #3
DVDdoug

Quote:
P.S. Maybe Rendering is intended for preparing individual tracks for transferring to another place for mastering?
Right. You render when you're "done" with all of your mixing & procesing. Usually, you'll render to stereo WAV (or perhaps MP3, or perhaps a surround format, etc.). You can render directly to MP3, although it's good practice to also keep a high-quality lossless file.

After rendering, the file may or may not be mastered as a separate process. If you are going to send the file somewhere else for mastering, or use a different set of mastering tools, or simply master as a separate process, you'd render first, and master from that "final stereo mix".
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:29 PM   #4
AmmoniumNitrate
Banned

Thanks to all.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:06 AM   #5
ashcat_lt

But also you just plain can't edit a frozen track. If you want to apply the FX and the edits you've made already, but then want to be able to edit it more and/or add more FX, then render (or "Apply Track FX..." which is essentially the same thing) is what you want.

Personally, I think I generally prefer to render most of the time because it forces me to commit to decisions and move on, rather than keep around the option - worse, the temptation! - to continue tweaking endlessly. I guess the way I see it, everything up to the render is like the signal chain going to tape...or something...
ashcat_lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:16 PM   #6
planetnine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
But also you just plain can't edit a frozen track. If you want to apply the FX and the edits you've made already, but then want to be able to edit it more and/or add more FX, then render (or "Apply Track FX..." which is essentially the same thing) is what you want.

Personally, I think I generally prefer to render most of the time because it forces me to commit to decisions and move on, rather than keep around the option - worse, the temptation! - to continue tweaking endlessly. I guess the way I see it, everything up to the render is like the signal chain going to tape...or something...

"Freeze" is a good workflow shortcut to cancel-out plugin latency if you wanted to records some parts/overdubs. It also deals with sends pretty transparently, and then restores them again on "unfreeze" once the overdubs are recorded.

I use freeze for latency reduction more than processor-freeing...

>
planetnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:57 PM   #7
AmmoniumNitrate
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetnine View Post
"Freeze" is a good workflow shortcut to cancel-out plugin latency if you wanted to records some parts/overdubs. It also deals with sends pretty transparently, and then restores them again on "unfreeze" once the overdubs are recorded.

I use freeze for latency reduction more than processor-freeing...
That will be useful to me during recording, though it had never occurred to me before you mentioned it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post

My music isn't ready to be committed to tape... not even close......

Thanks for the additional replies.