Old 06-11-2014, 06:31 PM   #1
Alex M
Human being with feelings

Default Resampling/Unwanted Pitch Change

Hey guys, so I recorded a bunch of dialogue for a film in Reaper. Everything seemed fine the day I recorded it but a few days later I noticed that halfway through the project all the items have the "resampled from 48.0kHz" icon and they appear to have been sped up (both pitch and speed are figher). I couldn't for the life of me find out what the issue is, and it is very crucial that I get the items back to the correct speed so the post production crew can sync up the audio to the video correctly! My sample rate was originally 44.1kHz I believe. Any ideas?
Alex M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:48 AM   #2
martifingers

Hi. To fix this is it not simply a matter of altering playback rate to 44/48 ie 0.917 approx.? A quick and dirty solution I grant you. (Make sure youdon't tick the box to maintain pitch BTW.)

I sure more expert users than I can troubleshoot why this happened. Good luck with it. Sounds a bit of a stress!
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 05:09 AM   #3
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

If the (recording) sample rate was changed in mid-project, they items should still should have the proper pitch when REAPER resamples them (it can playback files of different sample rates fine).

- Check if your playback rate is still at 1.0 (slider on the transport bar).

- Check if the items sounding wrong have a changed playback rate (in item properties, hit F2)

- Check if there's a sample rate mismatch between REAPER's Project Settings or in Preferences->Audio->Device and your audio interface.

- What is your audio interface and operating system/platform?
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:28 AM   #4
DVDdoug

All I can say is that's a very unusual problem (if it's actually a 44.1/48 problem). Normally when you resample, the data is interpolated so the pitch doesn't change and everything is fine.

And, the driver & software read the sample-rate from the file header so nothing should ever play-back at the wrong speed.

Was everything recorded with the same hardware? Played-back on the same hardware? Some "cheap consumer soundcards" can have inaccurate clocks. Sometimes people have trouble if they record with a USB mic (which has it's own clock) and play-back on their soundcard. Things can really go wrong if they record a backing track first (with a USB soundcard or USB interface), then play it back on their soundcard while recording the vocal track. Or, you can get similar pitch/timing weirdness if two people in different cities are collaborating and their soundcards don't have good clocks.

Quote:
so I recorded a bunch of dialogue for a film...

...My sample rate was originally 44.1kHz I believe.
As you may know, DVDs (and most video formats) use 48kHz. Like I said resampling isn't normally a problem and I've never heard any difference resampling either way between CD (44.1) and DVD (48), but I usually "feel better" if I can avoid it.

Last edited by DVDdoug; 06-12-2014 at 10:58 AM.
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:23 PM   #5
Alex M

Thanks for the replies guys! So basically I was running my Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 USB interface through Reaper. I am running Reaper on a Dell laptop with what I am sure is a pretty cheap consumer soundcard". The sample rate set on the 18i20 was set at 44.1kHz, and as the pitch change occurred when the sample rate on Reaper changed, is it possible that had something to do with it? The playback rate was 1 on all of the items, so I ended up doing the same thing martifingers suggested (changing the playback rate of the effected items to 0.9). It sounds alright, but is there anything I can do to keep this from happening again?
Alex M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:00 PM   #6
DVDdoug

Quote:
am sure is a pretty cheap consumer soundcard". The sample rate set on the 18i20 was set at 44.1kHz, and as the pitch change occurred when the sample rate on Reaper changed,
Slow down... If it is the "cheap soundcard problem", and you recorded with the Focusrite, that would mean there's nothing wrong with your recording and it only sounds wrong whe played-back through your soundcard.

Check playback through the Focusrite.
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote