Old 02-02-2019, 12:21 PM   #1
Kihoalu
Human being with feelings

Default 3 band splitter with steeper skirts?

Howdy,

I have been using Losers? 3 band splitter for a while now.
I use it a part of a multi-mic technique on acoustic guitar.

However, the band skirts are only single pole -6db/octave.

Is there a splitter that delivers -18 db/oct while maintaining something close to linear phase and IS NOT FFT based?

I have been working on one myself using bi-quad approximation of bessel or gaussian but only have achieved -12db/oct with semi-satisfactory results. Basic requirements are that each separated band must have minimal overshoot at band edges AND a simple sum of all bands at equal gain must yield back the original signal.

FIR attempts with reasonable buffer sizes (up to 256 samples or so) do not work well at low frequencies and are not easy to make the band edge frequencies adjustable (no surprise here).

Help would be appreciated.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:44 PM   #2
Fergler

I've used ReaXComp for this, it nulls perfectly. Here's a setup already routed for you. It's extremely steep.

I didn't do this in the set up but you can parameter link the three ReaXComp frequency sliders so they all move with each other.
Attached Files
File Type: rpp ReaXComp freq Split.RPP (7.2 KB, 46 views)
Old 02-02-2019, 01:15 PM   #3
alanofoz

RS-MET crossover might work for you.

http://www.rs-met.com/freebies.html

bunyipmusic.com
alanofoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 05:51 PM   #4
Kihoalu

@Fergler

Interesting idea. The three bands I want will sometimes have some compression applied, so using ReaXcomp may not be overkill. However, I setup a frequency response test with 200Hz and 2Khz crossovers and the mid-band channel showed only -6db/oct slope on the low side and -12db/oct on the high side. This is much the same result I have achieved with bi-quad sections, except my bi-quads have less frequency overshoot than the ReaXcomp filters (they must have their Q set somewhat higher).

@Alafonz

Good find. Frequency response testing shows pretty good skirt shapes and minimal frequency overshoot. -18 db slope not available but -12 and -24 are. Plugin is for 32 bit OS (I am running 64), has small hard to use GUI, some "features" don't seem to work, etc. But it does the job and I cannot complain about the price!! I will be trying it out tonight.

Mahalo Nui (Thanks Much) to you both...
Old 07-28-2019, 04:14 AM   #5
sai'ke

I wrote a 4-pole bandsplitter a while ago with phase matching allpass plugin.

Using a construction with matching allpass filters, it keeps all signals perfectly in phase even in IIR mode when used properly (see tutorial). I hope it is useful.

From the description:
Bandsplitter/joiner 4-pole band splitter that preserves phase between the bands. There's also another plugin to keep other channels in phase with the splitter channels (see tutorial). It has a UI and uses much steeper crossover filters (24 dB/oct) than the default that ships with reaper thereby providing sharper band transitions.

Alternatively, it also has an option for linear phase FIR crossovers instead of the default IIRfilters. IIRs cost less CPU and introduce no preringing or latency. The linear phase FIRs however prevent phase distortion (which can be important in some mixing settings), but introduce latency compensation. Note that when using the linear phase filters, it is not recommended to modulate the crossover frequencies as this introduces crackles.

Reapack link here: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Jo...ster/index.xml
Tutorial here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU_7gIr5RTI

Last edited by sai'ke; 07-28-2019 at 04:46 AM.
sai'ke is offline   Reply With Quote