Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Dstruct's Casa De Nitpicks

Old 02-22-2018, 09:28 AM   #1
chumbo
Human being with feelings

Default Visual distinction between a Selected Track & Highlighted Track

Hi,
I only discovered recently that there is a functional distinction between a track that is selected, i.e. clicked on and changes color and a highlighted track that becomes highlighted and changes color when you click anywhere on it's lane in the arrange view. Functional difference, visually none.

I thought there was only one state, color change = selected track. But in trying to create a custom action I recently realized that's not the case.
When you click the track you will delete the track if you hit the Delete key. If you click in an empty area of the arrange view on the same lane as the track and click delete, nothing happens. When you click an item on that track and hit Delete, the item is deleted. All the while, the track looks the same visually.

Couldn't there be a visual distinction between the two states? Maybe having a bolded line around the track when it is selected? I leave that up to the dev but just have some clue as to if the track is selected or not.
chumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 03:08 AM   #2
juliansader

I think the difference lies in selected vs focused: When clicking on the item, the track gets selected, but the arrange view gets focused, not the track panel.

You can have selected stuff in multiple contexts simultaneously (arrange view, track panel, envelopes, etc), but actions such as Delete will only delete from the focused context.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 03:19 AM   #3
chumbo

Yes, I understood that much, it's +- what I said. I was just requesting a visual aid to help see when the track is selected or in focus (or as I said, highlighted).
chumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:51 PM   #4
LugNut

Hi,
It depends on the theme used. I made my selected track/items "light up". I suck at graphics but you change bg-selcted or something called that for items and tracks.
Its been a long time ago so sorry if I'm short on details. You might ask in the color theme part of the forum.
Also mute and solo buttons:-)
LugNut is online now   Reply With Quote