Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 05-31-2018, 08:57 AM   #41
sostenuto
Human being with feelings

Can you now restate this as the preferred solution now ?
I am fine for now, so wondering if I should wait for v5.91 release to accomplish what is needed here when future needs arise.
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 10:24 AM   #42
fetidus

Quick heads up that the v5.91rc1 appears to resolve at least the HALion VST3 instantiation issue! Thanks again to Justin for the quick resolution!

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=207379

As for the other few random crashes I experienced (that may or may not be related to the instantiation issue), I have NOT had another crash so far with these plugins with 5.91rc1. But the instantiation crash seems gone now!
fetidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:51 AM   #43
sonicowl

I have regular random crashes with Halion SE just by loading presets, both vst2 and vst3 versions. Sometimes at random preset starts loading, then it locks while loading, then plugin crashes. I set plugin to dedicated process, so Reaper doesn't crash. After reloading plugin it loads ok the preset that crashed it before. Must be a plugin bug, or some incompatibility of Steinberg plugs with Reaper. But I have similar problem with other Steinberg plugins, like Padshop and Retrologue. They just crash while changing presets.
I cannot give any details, it is random. Maybe somebody else has same problem.
sonicowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:54 AM   #44
fetidus

Since 5.91, I haven't had any noticeable issues, but I haven't hammered Steinberg plugins recently. However, I did have some weird issues besides the instantiation bug before. I'll keep my eyes peeled for any more strangeness.

BTW, for the record, can you please list the versions you're using, so we can at least see if we're on the same page?
Old 06-19-2018, 11:02 AM   #45
fetidus

FYI -- the versions I have of Steinberg plugins are:

HALion Sonic 3.1.10.85

HALion 6.1.10.85

Groove Agent 4.2.40.322

Retrologue 2.1.0.57

Padshop Pro 1.1.0.134

I don't see HALion SE in Reaper though... hmmmmm... not sure what's up with that, it just doesn't show up.

Also, new updates of HALion Sonic and HALion6 are out, but I haven't installed them yet. (3.1.15 and 6.1.15)
Old 06-19-2018, 11:03 AM   #46
sonicowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetidus View Post
Since 5.91, I haven't had any noticeable issues, but I haven't hammered Steinberg plugins recently. However, I did have some weird issues besides the instantiation bug before. I'll keep my eyes peeled for any more strangeness.

BTW, for the record, can you please list the versions you're using, so we can at least see if we're on the same page?
Reaper 5.91, Halion Sonic SE 3.1.10.85 (64bit)
Old 06-19-2018, 11:07 AM   #47
fetidus

I'm assuming you're on Windows, right?

I don't know what's up with my HALion SE -- I'll have to figure out why it isn't showing up in Reaper.

But in any case, if you can come up with a reliable, repeatable series of steps to make yours crash, then please post the steps here and I'll try to confirm. If we can get repeatable steps and a crash report, I'm sure Justin will look into it.
Old 06-25-2018, 02:00 AM   #48
sonicowl

Ok, update from my side, regarding Steinberg plugins crashing on preset change. Turns out that you need to have dongle plugged in, even if you use Steinberg plugins in Reaper.
I haven't been using Cubase in a long time, and dongle was disconnected. Without dongle, Cubase notifies you immediately that it is missing. But plugins do not - they start fine, and then suddenly they crash without any notice.
Yesterday I fired up Cubase to see how Halion Sonic SE works there, and it gave me error that dongle is not present. And actually it was not plugged in. After plugging it in, now all Steinberg plugins work fine in Reaper, no more crashes on preset change.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:37 AM   #49
fetidus

Glad you figured it out!