Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Dstruct's Casa De Nitpicks

Old 01-24-2017, 01:55 AM   #41
ivansc
Human being with feelings

Hi and welcome to reaper forums. Yes it is a pain that you posted here, mostly because someone posted a HUGE picture in the thread and my poor little laptop screen cant show the whole screen as I edit!

Re your problem, How have you got your settings in Reaper? I assume you are on PC.
Buffering in general needs to be set carefully to get the best performance in both audio and MIDI.
Download the free reaper guide if you didnt already and check out the fdirst secion on setting your computer up for multitrack recording.
Lots of great info there. Same goed for the free video tutorials also avasilable on the front page of this site.
What keyboard are you using to input MIDI data?
What computer specification and what version of windows and reaper are you using (including 32bit or 64bit)?

Also I assume you are NOT trying to direct your MIDI date out again to an external sound source, just using a regular VSTi?
Old 05-05-2017, 03:34 PM   #42
teatime

Default Midi Editor Niggle

In the midi editor I mapped <right> and <left> to [Navigate: Select next/previous note]. The following behaviour is contrary to what I would expect:
Let's say you have 4 midi notes, with number 2 selected:

[-] [O] [-----] [-]

Now, if you were to delete it and try navigate right, the selection cursor moves back to position 1; I would have expected it to select 3 if I navigated to next, and 1 if i navigated to previous.
teatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 07:26 PM   #43
FnA

Default Visibility/Editability uncontrollable when using double click to switch items

Edit. As of 5.90, it's possible to leave current item as visible, when switching to a different one. Thanks!

It does this:

The previous item is left Editable, the other reverts to Visible. Tried a bunch of settings. I don't think anything helps. I would prefer to leave the last item as Visible myself.

Maybe two mouse modifiers? One to leave it Editable, one as Visible? Or maybe it can follow one of the settings?

Last edited by FnA; 08-21-2018 at 08:25 AM.
FnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 02:20 AM   #44
Ulf3000

display of midi items draws midi notes wrong in arrange view (they seem to overlap even though they don´t )

in this pic (which i scaled up) they overlap STRONGLY, none of them overlaps in the midieditor though

this would not be a a huge problem BUT splitting items it leaves that "overlapping" (which in reality does NOT exist) as does moving edges and scaling items

like i this gif .. the notes are perfectly aligned and snapped yet see what happens if you split them

sometimes i really get frustrated that midi is such an afterthought in reaper...
Ulf3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:21 AM   #45
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulf3000 View Post
display of midi items draws midi notes wrong in arrange view (they seem to overlap even though they don´t )

in this pic (which i scaled up) they overlap STRONGLY, none of them overlaps in the midieditor though
This seeming overlap is probably due to
Options -> Appearance -> Peaks/Waveforms -> Draw edges on MIDI events
which draws thick edges around the events.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 10:44 AM   #46
strachupl

Is it possible to make always visible lower values velocity when few notes are on same position (chord).
Now it works but depend how you create chord (up-down, down-up)
strachupl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 02:11 AM   #47
Phazma

I have set up the right drag default action in the MIDI editor to "Erase Notes/CC immediately (suppresses right-click context menu)" but whenever I drag quickly over the notes in the Piano Roll I have to do it multiple times until the Note is actually deleted. It works only reliably when slowly dragging over a note. At this point I am just as fast when right-click deleting each note individually.
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 12:09 AM   #48
alex.d.

Hi,

I'm not sure it is really a bug or nitpicking, so I post it here.

The behavior of Program Changes seems very wrong to me, in several aspects. For example, if I try to insert an item with only a PC at the beginning of a project to set the program for the given track, here is what happens:

-- create a new item, open it in Event list editor
-- right click, then select Insert bank/program select event
-> the event is inserted at the last step of the item. It is not sent to MIDI device when playing the project! It looks as if an event is set at the very last step of an item, it is not played at all.

We will try to move the PC earlier in the item:
-- in Event list editor, double click the Program change, or right click, then Event properties
-> there is no "Position" field in the dialog for Event properties for Program change!

All of this feels very wrong to me.
alex.d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 01:51 PM   #49
colouredmirrorball

It appears key signature changes persist across projects (in notation view). It is possible to remove them, but occasionally there is an issue where flat/sharp notation doesn't follow the actual key signature, but that of the old one.

Example screenshot: the key signature is set to D major, but the accidental context menu still thinks it is C major (from a previous project). If I would set the default notation to flat, it wouldn't work and the note would still be annotated as sharp (and any other note would be sharps as well). Also, with the default set to flat and the note set to Bb, clearing custom accidental notation results in the note being marked as a sharp again.

Unless there is a good reason, I don't see why key signatures would persist between projects anyway.

(And while we're on the subject, having the ability to explicitly mark a note as a natural would be nice too, but I'm thinking of making a separate feature request thread filled with all my suggestions for the notation editor)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg accidentals-bug.jpg (59.7 KB, 564 views)
colouredmirrorball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 02:58 PM   #50
colouredmirrorball

Apologies if double posting is frowned upon in this forum, but I fear an edit might be easier to miss.

When I select a note in notation view and hide it, it hides all notes with that value on the staff, instead of only the selected notes as the action suggests. This is not what I would expect.

In fact I desire two behaviours which are currently not possible:

* hide individual notes (not all notes of that value)

* place a note that is not played (example situation: two notes are being played through a synth using pitch bend so one note gradially slips into the other, which would be annotated as the same note but musically should be marked as two different notes)
colouredmirrorball is offline   Reply With Quote