Old 08-05-2022, 10:32 AM   #1
WrmZ
Human being with feelings

Default wip - some thrash metal stuff to critique

Hi guys

i'm working on this for too long and need some new fresh ears to point out what to improve.

Recorded and mixed on Reaper. Garage conditions, lots of diy stuff was used (from mics, preamps and stompboxes) so recording is not perfect and won't be :P No vocals yet.

direct links:
First
Second
Third

thanks
WrmZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 12:33 PM   #2
foxAsteria

The mixes sound really strange tbh. Those are programmed drums, yes? But they sound like they were recorded in a garage with one overhead mic. If they're real drums, snare and kick need their own mics at least.

Overall too much reverb/room sound and too muffled. Maybe mic closer to the sources? Also sounds like you mix at high volume, which will wear out your ears and affect your ability to judge sound quality.

At 1:00 on track 3 is IMO how the guitars should sound in all the mixes. Elsewhere they are kinda flabby and indistinct. Great tones on the solos though.

My advice would be to keep recording new songs rather than trying to reshape these mixes. They are pretty much guaranteed to be better, since you learn things each time.

I liked #3 best.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 08-05-2022 at 12:39 PM.
foxAsteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 08:07 AM   #3
Reapology

Hey- yeah the playing is all good..the mix of cool tones does seem a bit distant? somehow.
Sounded a bit closer in cans and enjoyed "second" the most.
Thanks4sharing.
Reapology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 01:21 PM   #4
WrmZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
The mixes sound really strange tbh. Those are programmed drums, yes? But they sound like they were recorded in a garage with one overhead mic. If they're real drums, snare and kick need their own mics at least.
nope, those are real drums recorded with 5 mics but with mediocre drum kit so probably samples will work better. As old rule says garbage in - garbage out.

I will brighten mix a bit and finish to not waste more time

Thanks guys
WrmZ is offline   Reply With Quote