Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 06-12-2018, 06:10 AM   #1
GoldenDeathMusic
Human being with feelings

Default New Song featuring real tape delay, tanpura, sax and fuzzrite

https://goldendeathmusic.bandcamp.co...motion-forever

I made some recent additions to the studio and this is the first song I was able to integrate the majority of them into. Most notably, I finally was able to acquire a real tape delay (T-Rex Replicator Jr.) after a lot of time of not having one. I have owned 2 or 3 vintage RE-201's over the years, and had forgotten how amazing real tape sounds! I also just started learning the sax and the tanpura, and have really been enjoying the extra variety of sounds these new instruments have afforded me. Also, after nearly a decade of reading people online rave about the SM7, I finally got one for myself and have been loving the sound of my voice and sax recorded through it. Signal chain for everything you hear is a Rode NTR or the SM7---> UA Twinfinity---> Golden Age Comp-2A---> Tascam UH-7000 using Reaper. All guitars, bass and synth are recorded direct through the same signal chain.

Hope someone out there enjoys!
GoldenDeathMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:08 AM   #2
zeekat

You can reliably guess the genre by the gear list alone. Great dirty psych jam and production is totally pro.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:11 AM   #3
GoldenDeathMusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
You can reliably guess the genre by the gear list alone. Great dirty psych jam and production is totally pro.
Haha, yeah...not many tanpura rap or country jams....

Thanks though, I appreciate the listen! All the best to you and your own music.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:19 AM   #4
dave_t

Trippy! I like it. What is the synth (the high monosynth line)?
dave_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:24 AM   #5
GoldenDeathMusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_t View Post
Trippy! I like it. What is the synth (the high monosynth line)?
Thanks for listening and glad you dig it! The synth is a Pioneer AS-1. A relatively underappreciated and current production analog monosynth designed by Dave Smith. I've owned a lot of analog synths and think this is one of the best sounding ones to come out in recent years, though it has relatively limited control knobs. It gets a lot of use in my live set these days as well, controlled by a Behringer foot controller while I play guitar and sing.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:31 PM   #6
Calaban

Sounds great man. I really dig it. Slight Tame Impala influence?

Curious about the drums.....live or VSTi?
Calaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:06 PM   #7
GoldenDeathMusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaban View Post
Sounds great man. I really dig it. Slight Tame Impala influence?

Curious about the drums.....live or VSTi?
Thanks a lot for listening! I like Tame Impala and love the album Lonerism. I was actually kind of depressed when it first came out because I feel like he made the album I'd been trying to make for the last ten years haha. More than anything I'm a big fan of 60's and 70's prog and garage/psych-rock.

Drums are Addictive Drums 2 (VST) with some tambourine and one of those mini cajon shakers thrown in the mix. That's been my go to these days as my recording environment doesn't really permit an actual drum set. Pretty much everything else is a real instrument though. I do use Addictive Keys for piano and rhodes sounds, however, which I can also heartily recommend.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:22 PM   #8
Calaban

Cool thanks for the update. I also use VSTi drums in my little home studio productions...BFD3, a bunch of EZ Drummer kits, Abbey Roads 60’s Drummer. Plus tons of other virtual instruments for keys (which I can’t really play but I can do a half decent mock-up.) I do play my own guitar parts however.

My band (which has both a real drummer and keyboardist) is also way into 60’s and 70’s prog/folk/psych

Digging your sound man.

Check us out if you get the chance!

https://youtu.be/74mdilcaeik
Calaban is offline   Reply With Quote