Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 02-28-2016, 03:21 PM   #1
europa_man
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper won't open because of missing dll? (SOLVED)

Reaper won't open because of missing libvlccore.dll.
I then went and bought the program DLL-Files Fixer which replaced the file?
Have I been scammed.
But I still can't open Reaper?

I've tried reinstalling program a number of times.

Any suggestions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reaper won't open - missing dll.jpg (28.3 KB, 1225 views)

Last edited by europa_man; 02-28-2016 at 03:26 PM.
europa_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 03:25 PM   #2
martifingers

Hi. I don't know about the Files-Fixer program but could you not have simply re-installed REAPER?
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 03:41 PM   #3
Dstruct

Looks like VLC media player needs to be re-installed!?
Dstruct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 03:42 PM   #4
cfillion

Why is REAPER trying to load "libpacketizer_hevc_plugin.dll" as a VST in your screenshot (apparently it's a vlc plugin)?
Maybe your VST search path is messed up.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 03:44 PM   #5
LightOfDay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by europa_man View Post
Have I been scammed.
yes.

if anything positive, these kind of programs download the missing .dll from a free source. as in this case from here:

http://api.256file.com/libvlccore.dl...oad-20206.html

in most of the cases these kind of programs install malware on your computer.

if doing a Google search for the missing .dll you find lots of scammer-sites.

https://www.google.de/search?q=libvl...POKr6AS_5KnwDg

you have to sort the bad sites out. look for information to what program the .dll belongs to. in your case it belongs to VLC.

if I were you, I would uninstall this fixer-program as soon as possible, and I would do it with Revo Uninstaller (from portableapps.com), DO NOT UNINSTALL WITH THE PROGRAMS UNINSTALLER.

and never ever do such things again as downloading a program to install a .dll file. let me guess, that program wanted to have administrator rights? so you gave an untrusted program total access to your complete system?

happy computer cleaning! I hope its not that worse, but, please, dont do that or similar things never ever again.
LightOfDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 04:02 PM   #6
europa_man

Default Thanks for quick response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightOfDay View Post
yes.

if anything positive, these kind of programs download the missing .dll from a free source. as in this case from here:

http://api.256file.com/libvlccore.dl...oad-20206.html

in most of the cases these kind of programs install malware on your computer.

if doing a Google search for the missing .dll you find lots of scammer-sites.

https://www.google.de/search?q=libvl...POKr6AS_5KnwDg

you have to sort the bad sites out. look for information to what program the .dll belongs to. in your case it belongs to VLC.

if I were you, I would uninstall this fixer-program as soon as possible, and I would do it with Revo Uninstaller (from portableapps.com), DO NOT UNINSTALL WITH THE PROGRAMS UNINSTALLER.

and never ever do such things again as downloading a program to install a .dll file. let me guess, that program wanted to have administrator rights? so you gave an untrusted program total access to your complete system?

happy computer cleaning! I hope its not that worse, but, please, dont do that or similar things never ever again.
Great advice.
I'm sure it was because the vlc program.
I did manage to reinstall the missing dll using the program I bought.
I looks very legit but I should have seeked your advice first.

Reaper is now working.
I did get another error but clicked OK and it went through to open.
I use Malwarebytes so I believe I'm safe>

There are video codecs installed with Reaper.
They show up when Rendering files.
What are the best video codecs that can be added to Reaper that are not part of the install program?

Eric
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reaper won't open rtl160 missing.jpg (23.8 KB, 433 views)

Last edited by europa_man; 02-28-2016 at 04:27 PM. Reason: video codecs
Old 02-29-2016, 01:20 AM   #7
lolilol1975

It's likely that these are already the best (ffmpeg ?), with maybe the exception of the accelerated one that comes with your graphic card ( nvenc).

Last edited by lolilol1975; 02-29-2016 at 01:28 AM.
lolilol1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 11:09 AM   #8
Justin
Administrator

Sounds like you added a VLC folder to your VST plug-ins search path?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 03:55 PM   #9
ivansc

....but in any case, once you get the Reaper plugin paths corrected, it would not hurt to download and re-install the latest version of VLC. Just dont tell it to install itself in a directory used by reaper!

Tip for the future: whenever you get a mystery "missing file" alert, first thing to do is google "what is <insert filename here>"
Nine times out of ten the answers will include a reference to the parent application, which makes solving a straightforward operation.
Old 02-29-2016, 04:13 PM   #10
europa_man

Default Excellent Advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
....but in any case, once you get the Reaper plugin paths corrected, it would not hurt to download and re-install the latest version of VLC. Just dont tell it to install itself in a directory used by reaper!

Tip for the future: whenever you get a mystery "missing file" alert, first thing to do is google "what is <insert filename here>"
Nine times out of ten the answers will include a reference to the parent application, which makes solving a straightforward operation.
I really appreciate the fast solid advice.

"Stupid is as stupid does"!

Got to be more careful.

Thanks so much!
Old 06-17-2017, 01:06 PM   #11
learningit

Default REAPER Crash on plug-ins search of Windows 64 "Programs Files" folder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Sounds like you added a VLC folder to your VST plug-ins search path?
Hi Justin,

I've been using REAPER for a couple years and overall have been quite happy, even somewhat amazed by REAPER's capabilities.

However, recently I had a problem installing and organizing some plugins in REAPER in Windows 7 Pro 64bit. One plug-in I just installed in the regular "Program Files" folder. Then it didn't show up in the plug-ins scan. So I went into REAPER Preferences to set the search path to include "Program Files" so REAPER could find the plug-in, since I've got a lot of other plug-ins that auto-installed in the "Program Files" folder that work fine. I didn't think a scan could cause a serious problem. Big mistake, apparently... Not only did this crash REAPER almost immediately, now REAPER won't even start, but neither will it stop trying to start. I get the same messages over an over as REAPER tries to start:

"The program can't start because QtCore4.dll is missing from your computer. Try re-installing the program to fix this problem.

"The program can't start because libgegl1-0.2-0.dll is missing from your computer. Try re-installing the program to fix this problem."

At this point I spent several days getting REAPER set up and organized with all the plug-ins, so I'm hoping to avoid re-installing and organizing hundreds of plug-ins. I see in the Windows menu sidebar an option for "reset REAPER configuration to factory default" - will this solve the problem? What will I lose if I choose this option?

Any better ideas?

Now I can't get to the screen that tells me the REAPER version I've got, but the "Whats New.txt" inside the REAPER folder says "v5.26 - October 5 2016".

Installing plug-ins is actually the biggest problem I've had with REAPER, and I already had to do a complete re-install of REAPER once before because of a similar problem (i.e. confusion about where/how to install a plug-in). Also, by default REAPER always seems to automatically restart with the last open project, which sometimes creates a problem for me, when REAPER crashes for some reason and then gets stuck in a loop because it automatically goes to the last state, even if the last state was something that caused a crash. There's probably an option in the preferences somewhere for me to prevent this, but by then it's too late. Also it can cause a problem if I want to start a new project, and the last open project was a big one, and then I have to wait for all the files of the last project to load in order to close it to start a new project.
learningit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:19 AM   #12
DarkStar

-- Scanning the 'Program Files' folders will throw up a lot of issues, as you have found,
-- remove that path from the VST plug-in path list,
-- you may need to go to the (hidden) folder, C:\Users\<<Account>>\AppData\Roaming\REAPER in Explorer to get to the reaper.ini file and edit that file,
-- uninstall that plug-in (which one is it, by the way?) and reinstall, into something like C:/VST64 or C:/VST32,

Selecting 'factory defaults will lose all your specific configuration detail, but if you then scan the 'Program Files' folder again you will run into the same problem.

I would think that you would encounter similar plug-in issues in other hosts too, they are not specific to Reaper.

As for opening with the last project, yes, it is set in the Preferences. in General / Start-up settings. Once you get Reaper started, change the settings there.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:06 AM   #13
rcl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
-- Scanning the 'Program Files' folders will throw up a lot of issues, as you have found,
-- you may need to go to the (hidden) folder, C:\Users\<<Account>>\AppData\Roaming\REAPER in Explorer to get to the reaper.ini file and edit that file,
-- uninstall that plug-in (which one is it, by the way?) and reinstall, into something like C:/VST64 or C:/VST32,

Selecting 'factory defaults will lose all your specific configuration detail, but if you then scan the 'Program Files' folder again you will run into the same problem.

I would think that you would encounter similar plug-in issues in other hosts too, they are not specific to Reaper.

As for opening with the last project, yes, it is set in the Preferences. in General / Start-up settings. Once you get Reaper started, change the settings there.

Just went through this. I deleted one of my paths but didnt quite delete it all. I left the c. So it was searching my entire c drive when trying to start. Going into Reaper.ini and deleting that c solved my issue. Lesson here ....dont get to general with your vst search paths.
Old 07-15-2017, 01:29 PM   #14
learningit

Default Thank you DarkStar!

Hello DarkStar,

Thank you greatly! Following your instructions, I did finally find the problem search path for the new VST in the plug-in path list in the reaper.ini file, and just deleted that path. This seems to have solved my issue. I think the VST that REAPER wasn't identifying on installation was the Synister synth, though maybe I just installed it wrong.

In any event, I wasn't looking forward to reinstalling REAPER and all my hundreds of plugins from scratch, so your info is much appreciated. I woke this morning and was actually planning on spending my weekend trying to reinstall everything, but instead decided to take one last look at the forum, just in case somebody replied. I haven`t spent much time on the forum, and when I opened my account checking for responses before, I didn`t see any notice that anybody had replied, I just saw `0 private messages, 0 unread`, so I thought I was being ignored. That`s why it took me so long to reply, and I was wondering what to do about this the past couple of weeks, dreading a total reinstall.

Fortunately I decided to check the forum thread itself again, just in case your reply wasn`t showing up on the front end of my account.

Best wishes to you.

LI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post

learningit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:23 AM   #15
DarkStar

You're welcome.