Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 04-20-2018, 07:52 AM   #1
Steen
Human being with feelings

Default Where does Reaper save the data

Hi

In many cases (making a back up or making a copy for another computer) I ran into the problem that not all the data had been copied. Rpp extentions are normally found, but wat is the other extention and were are these data normally stored?
And why is sometimes a file stored as separated tracks. Of many recordings the tracks are grouped together by trackname.

grtz Steen
Steen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:00 AM   #2
Philbo King

File management is pretty important. For Reaper the main things to do are:
- Always save the project using Create Prject Folder before recording. If you forget, use either Move or Copy All Media files when you do save.

- In the project settings there is a place you can put a relative path like \Audio and Reaper will create a subfolder in your project that has all the audio files in it.

- Always put in track names before recording. Reaper uses that as part if the audio file name.

- If you do a lot of takes you don't end up using, you can have Reaper get rid of them by using Clean Project. This is best done after the mix is finished, since it deletes all unused audio files in the project.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:32 PM   #3
Steen

@Philbo King.

Thanks for your comment. I'll try to figure it out. I think it's gonna help me a lot for my next tracking. But I still don't know where to find the disappeared data.

btw, I like your performance at KCWI tv.

thanx a lot,
Steen
Old 04-21-2018, 12:21 AM   #4
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steen View Post
I'll try to figure it out. I think it's gonna help me a lot for my next tracking. But I still don't know where to find the disappeared data.
In general you can check source file paths in View > Project Media/FX bay: www.reaper.fm/videos.php#U8_fSWVH4qs

Some info about relinking offline/missing files can be found here: http://www.reaperblog.net/2015/02/vi...offline-files/

And here is some general info about File Management:
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 07:36 AM   #5
Steen

Thank you, Solger and others.

I'll give these possibilties a try. I hope with al your,people, advices my problem soon will be solved.

Grtz Steen
Old 05-01-2018, 11:09 AM   #6
JeffreyET

QUOTE - If you do a lot of takes you don't end up using, you can have Reaper get rid of them by using Clean Project. This is best done after the mix is finished, since it deletes all unused audio files in the project

Be careful with this though, I tried it early on and found it not only deletes unused files, it truncates files to their current edited state - in other words, if you ever want to edit audio track files in the future, the unused beginnings & ends are gone.