Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 09-22-2017, 12:59 AM   #1
Desty Nova
Human being with feelings

Default Proper display of accidentals in Notation editor

So, as I can't figure if accidentals can be moved as default more to the left from the notes I would say that they aren't well displayed on the range.

Accidentals (♯sharp,♭flat,♮natural) are displayed half on the notes they belong to, also when having two accidentals in a chord they are on top of each other instead of being offset.

Please let me know if am wrong

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=196270

EDIT:
According 14.5 in user guide (v5.50), in: View > Notation view options > "Proportional (musical) note spacing" has to be enabled to display relative note spacing rather than absolute spacing. In my case it was already enabled...

Last edited by Desty Nova; 09-22-2017 at 07:50 AM.
Desty Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 11:27 AM   #2
gwok

Hi there,

I really hope that the devs can put this on their radar. This is really debilitating in terms of using the notation editor, because it breaks the the ability to use the notation editor for it's primary function - to READ MUSIC!!

As well, it also breaks down the purpose of music notation in the first place - to communicate ideas. It doesn't matter if the information is there, if the ideas can't be conveyed in a readable way.

It's like having a bike missing one pedal. Sure most of the bike is there, but by missing the one pedal, you really don't have a bike you can use. If your going downhill all the way, maybe it's not a problem, but chances are, that will not be the case.

As is the case with the NE, if it's functionality is going to break down (ie unreadable) as soon as you use accidentals, then how can you use it with any efficiency and reliability. You can't rely on it to convey your ideas in a usable and communicable way.

I hope this will get on the devs radar at some point, so we can use it to convey musical ideas in a comprehensive communicable way. cheers

Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2018-03-26 at 11.30.57 AM.png (14.3 KB, 609 views)

Last edited by gwok; 03-26-2018 at 04:49 PM.
gwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 01:32 AM   #3
Desty Nova

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwok View Post
Hi there,

I really hope that the devs can put this on their radar. This is really debilitating in terms of using the notation editor, because it breaks the the ability to use the notation editor for it's primary function - to READ MUSIC!!

As well, it also breaks down the purpose of music notation in the first place - to communicate ideas. It doesn't matter if the information is there, if the ideas can't be conveyed in a readable way.

It's like having a bike missing one pedal. Sure most of the bike is there, but by missing the one pedal, you really don't have a bike you can use. If your going downhill all the way, maybe it's not a problem, but chances are, that will not be the case.

As is the case with the NE, if it's functionality is going to break down (ie unreadable) as soon as you use accidentals, then how can you use it with any efficiency and reliability. You can't rely on it to convey your ideas in a usable and communicable way.

I hope this will get on the devs radar at some point, so we can use it to convey musical ideas in a comprehensive communicable way. cheers

Finally somebody else got it!
Thanks gwok, hope they will fix this one day...
Desty Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 11:13 AM   #4
Justin
Administrator

Try 5.79pre3! It might not get all of the corner cases but it should get the common cases.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 01:20 PM   #5
tusitala

Hi, I agree...look here:

tusitala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 01:38 PM   #6
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by tusitala View Post
This problem in this example may be partly due to the horizontal vs vertical zoom levels. If you zoom in horizontally, the notes and accidentals will inevitably start to overlap. When zoomed out, the notation will get much clearer:

Something else that is strange to me, is that the notes are so irregularly spaced, some being wholly off the grid lines. It can be clearly seen in the above image.
Attached Images
File Type: png REAPER v5.79pre3 - Notation - Notes off grid.PNG (15.3 KB, 437 views)

Last edited by juliansader; 03-30-2018 at 02:18 AM.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 11:39 PM   #7
gwok

hey guys,

cool!

I did a comparison with the same music and still get the same result -

https://drive.google.com/open?id=12m...c-UjgPU8w_ImCu

you can see how it's a result of the note on the same line being natural and sharp. I didn't realize this in my op.

it' does give rise to the thought that maybe tweaking the key sig/root could yield different results, though it's finicky enough i find already setting the key sig properly so it's readable. Tweaking the key sig just to get the accidentals to view properly seems like a bit of a rabbit hole

I actually did a notation view play-through screencap of a piano piece I'm working on and working with a piano player to have recorded/performed it's a little rough, but a working draft to send to the musician (sorry for OT)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDIZ...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by gwok; 03-30-2018 at 12:00 AM.
gwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 02:38 PM   #8
Justin
Administrator

Thanks, more improvements in pre4!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 03:25 AM   #9
tusitala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Thanks, more improvements in pre4!
Dear Justin,

Since you're working on the notation editor, do you think you could take a look at these two issues I've found?

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=199530

and

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=204728

this one is related to the midi editor in general, but has the same behaviour when in notation mode.

Thanks a lot for your hard work! And thanks for Reaper in general :-)

All the best
-t
tusitala is offline   Reply With Quote