Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 09-20-2017, 07:34 PM   #41
MikComposer
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
Something like this?

Mixed with a trip hop, lo fi kind of aesthetic.
This one is not bad. Much smoother than op's

btw, yt feed showed me this today https://youtu.be/tSs9EDzS4Ik
This could be nice reference track.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:43 PM   #42
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by KODA JYNX View Post
Dude, if you leave everything as it came fro the download and just use the knob on the left hand side, ...well let's just say, I've never had to go past "3". In fact I found that to be too much on some things, so usually just go about "2 and a half" anything past 3 is just insane.

YMMV
Well ok, but the knob should at least say 11, since ostensibly Volume 11 is a reference to Spinal Tap, who had amps that went up to eleven:
https://wifflegif.com/gifs/395740-sp...s-up-to-11-gif
Old 09-21-2017, 05:53 AM   #43
KODA JYNX

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
Well ok, but the knob should at least say 11, since ostensibly Volume 11 is a reference to Spinal Tap, who had amps that went up to eleven:
https://wifflegif.com/gifs/395740-sp...s-up-to-11-gif

Crap. Totally missed that, and here I am a HUGE "SPINAL TAP" fan!

Just goes to show, it's the little stuff that trips ya up.
KODA JYNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:08 AM   #44
MikComposer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KODA JYNX View Post
Crap. Totally missed that, and here I am a HUGE "SPINAL TAP" fan!

Just goes to show, it's the little stuff that trips ya up.
Maybe you wish to be "Huge Fan", but in reality you just thought film was funny
Old 09-21-2017, 10:04 AM   #45
Winfield

I like it - it seems to be quite consistently and stylisticly coherently mixet.

As for vocals I could see the 'lower mumblings' as a route - I'm guessing it's your voice used on one of the tracks
Winfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 01:50 PM   #46
foxAsteria

@Winfield, thanks, yea it's me everything. I don't get into lyrics too heavily, so I tend to just use gibberish in place of words to get the melodic ideas down. "A route"...to what though?
Old 10-03-2017, 04:40 PM   #47
tspring

Quote:
@Winfield, thanks, yea it's me everything. I don't get into lyrics too heavily, so I tend to just use gibberish in place of words to get the melodic ideas down. "A route"...to what though?
I too often start lyrics as gibberish. Indeed, I prefer never to get past that gibberish point in lyric writing. To be honest, coherent things that I write always annoy me with their triteness. Gibberish lets people imagine that there is something deep behind the words and vocal sounds. Anyway, I believe that about 99.9% of the time, people prefer what they imagine to the reality of the thing.

If it works for a president, then why not you? I say go with the gibberish if you want to get famous.

T
tspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 04:44 PM   #48
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by tspring View Post
I too often start lyrics as gibberish. Indeed, I prefer never to get past that gibberish point in lyric writing. To be honest, coherent things that I write always annoy me with their triteness. Gibberish lets people imagine that there is something deep behind the words and vocal sounds. Anyway, I believe that about 99.9% of the time, people prefer what they imagine to the reality of the thing.

If it works for a president, then why not you? I say go with the gibberish if you want to get famous.

T
It's not an uncommon tactic. You start with gibberish to get all the consonants and vowels in the right places, then fill them in with words that make sense.

It works much better than trying to get pre-conceived lyrics to fit. Placement of consonants is really important in getting the power of a lyric across.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 05:23 PM   #49
karbomusic

Quote:
It's not an uncommon tactic. You start with gibberish to get all the consonants and vowels in the right places, then fill them in with words that make sense.
I do exactly the same for decades now - it either starts with just a melodic idea or that in the form of some random not so great lyrical choice. Once I have a lyric though, regardless of the words it must roll off the tongue just so which can make word/phrase choices harder if I end up with a line that pronounces in a cadence I want then need to change the lyric later - as in it was a placeholder.

I don't feel bad though because Jon Anderson says that quite a few of their more famous songs that sound abstract weren't - it was simply the inflections of that lyric's pronunciation and no other lyric would sound the same so I think it's the same thing. That being said, don't even get me started on Stevie Nicks, even her band says "We don't know what the fark she is talking about in her lyrics" LOL and as far as I'm concerned she doesn't either That isn't a crack on her at all, I just think she is doing the same thing we are discussing.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:46 PM   #50
foxAsteria

Quote:
I prefer never to get past that gibberish point in lyric writing. To be honest, coherent things that I write always annoy me with their triteness.
Exactly. Every time I try to write lyrics "about something," they come out so fecking cheezeballz. If I even do get past gibberish, it's usually deliberately nonsensical just to avoid that. I also prefer people make up their own meaning for the words, cause they are just sounds to me. Either I just don't have anything to say or I'm so sick of hearing what others have to say that I don't bother.

Quote:
It works much better than trying to get pre-conceived lyrics to fit. Placement of consonants is really important in getting the power of a lyric across.
Yea this too. One of my favorite bands, DVA, uses completely made up language in place of lyrics and the emotion is still there in force. Plus you can always throw in an "Ooo baby" or two, just to reinforce the illusion of language.

@Karbo - but Stevie Nicks still manages to have some pretty deep lyrical content, even if she's just pulling it out of her ass. I love her lyrics.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 10-03-2017 at 08:58 PM.
foxAsteria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:56 PM   #51
karbomusic

Quote:
@Karbo - but Stevie Nicks still manages to have some pretty deep lyrical content, even if she's just pulling it out of her ass. I love her lyrics.
I agree, just making fun of it a little.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:39 AM   #52
grinder

In the 70', 80' etc I would occasionally make up impromptu songs at gigs.
These happened when the night was pumping, sweaty and all the rest. The most brave was a number consisting of just grunts and great spontaneous chord progressions.
Thank goodness the bass player had a great ear cos although I did the right thing all the way through I sure as heck did not know where I was going at the time.
Highly successful yes repeatable no!
This is where you need a great drummer and a great bassist.

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 09:46 AM   #53
zeekat

Quote:
Gibberish lets people imagine that there is something deep behind the words and vocal sounds. Anyway, I believe that about 99.9% of the time, people prefer what they imagine to the reality of the thing.
This in a way describes how all the western hit songs sang in English work(ed) in countries speaking different language (like mine), especially in earlier, more isolated times. Vocals were basically cool sounds and the mood of a song was extracted from musical content and it was still cool.

Understanding the words sort of kills the charm, often. Good I switched to death metal so can continue not understanding the words.

Also yeah, respect for people able to write stuff not sounding cheesy, I myself have no deep thoughts at all, every time I think I made a profound and clever observation it stops feeling like that once written down. I have a ton of cancelled internet posts under my belt.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:50 AM   #54
karbomusic

Quote:
Understanding the words sort of kills the charm
Another perspective is when the words are 'just' sufficiently abstract but not overly abstract, the listener is more able to relate their own experiences and insert themselves into the story as a participant - even when what they gleaned was never even part of the original intention of the writer.

That being said, it's rarely a bad idea to leave the story just open enough for this to occur vs being overly direct.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:46 AM   #55
grinder

Very astute Karbomusic

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:08 AM   #56
karbomusic

Quote:
Also yeah, respect for people able to write stuff not sounding cheesy
That would be me, the one who always ends up sounding cheesy. You know what I did about it? Instead of waiting even more years to not sound cheesy... I went ahead and wrote those tunes and recorded them regardless of what my "inner coolness" was telling me and....

They turned out to be some of my best tunes - that still doesn't mean they are actually good tunes but it did seem to get them out of the way FWIW.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:25 PM   #57
zeekat

Truth be told, I might have some really embarassing content in those North Korean propaganda broadcasts and Italian ham radio chats I sampled. I double down on national tradition of non-comprehending listening and do non-comprehending-creation as well.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:00 AM   #58
Bartolla Rockarolla

Tho' it's not my particular genre of music, I recognize the talent and thought that went into making these songs.

Good job .
Bartolla Rockarolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:08 PM   #59
foxAsteria

@Bartolla Why, thank you! Actually I keep thought out of songwriting as much as I can. I did however spend a lot of time thinking about how to make the process go as smoothly as possible, so I don't have to do much thinking while I work (thanks, Reaper!). When I go to mix later, it will again be more deliberate, but songwriting is mostly just a dynamic between feelings and sounds for me.
Old 10-07-2017, 12:18 AM   #60
morgon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartolla Rockarolla View Post
Tho' it's not my particular genre of music, I recognize the talent and thought that went into making these songs.

Good job .
Exactly, foxAsteria please get on with it, you're a fine talent and everyone here knows that, collabs may produce something extra as well.
morgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 01:57 PM   #61
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgon View Post
foxAsteria please get on with it
Heheh, yea solid advice. Thanks for the encouragement everyone! I'm reworking the one called Meaningless as True atm, cos it was my favorite and when I posted I didn't realize there were about 40 drum takes randomly spliced together from an abandoned recording session and I'm actually *trying* to write some lyrics for that one.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:11 AM   #62
kgarello

Great Tracks foxAsteria!

Kind of a Velvet Underground meets Neil Young vibe.
kgarello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:03 AM   #63
OPI

Hey man. Im back after a long hiatus. (Depression)

Fox asteria is the reason i got into this whole thing. His music gave me vibes i couldnt get from any other stuff. Here hes at it again, god damn fox.

If it were up to me, your music would make it into half the films ive been watching lately. That aside...

Track 10 is the most nostalgic to me. But ive been a fan since my girlfriends a robot so..

Its a fantastic track.

I have a question. Have you submitted any of your tracks to labels?

Its a real shame you cant get more attention for what you've done.
OPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:39 PM   #64
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPI View Post
Have you submitted any of your tracks to labels?
Aw shucks, thanks for the kind words, OPI!

Nah...uh I guess I should try that? See that's the crux of being a "perfectionist;" you never feel finished with anything. And yea, I get depressed too on top of that, which of course makes it hard to do anything, let alone have the confidence to take chances that will most likely (in my mind) result in rejection.

Yea, partly why I shared here was to hopefully get a little push in the right direction. Getting feedback surely helps, so thanks again!

@kg - thanks, mate!

Still...when's someone gonna talk some shit?