Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Music/Collaboration Discussion

Old 04-23-2019, 04:06 PM   #41
sjs94704
Human being with feelings

====== I'm Live !! ======

Check me out! On this site my song is available for download only, but, they are putting my song up for streaming and download.

https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/stevenschuyler
Old 04-24-2019, 03:47 PM   #42
ReaDave

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs94704 View Post
====== I'm Live !! ======

Check me out! On this site my song is available for download only, but, they are putting my song up for streaming and download.

https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/stevenschuyler
Great stuff Steven! Congrats on your release!
ReaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 03:53 PM   #43
ReaDave

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Not hijacking your post my friend just using it as a springboard... What I've found is each person needs to do their own comparison of all the features/gotchas then make a decision. I've not found a single one that doesn't have some gotcha I don't like and there is no best really.

I went with CD baby because with DistroKid you have to pay the fee every year forever, or you lose the distribution/store stuff if you don't pay that recurring fee. With CD baby there's a commission, but it's there forever - the main point though is more about those same fine print items mattering differently to different people.

I suppose I should give my experience with CDBaby and that is that they were great, the website backend managment is great, and I had a representative call me whom I could actually call back and talk to - we exchanged email and calls several times - the website or they themselves answered all questions and walked me through anything I didn't know so I must give them huge props for their help. The entire process was a joy to be honest.
This is really good feedback Karbo! As I mentioned previously, I recently joined CD Baby too and will be doing my first release through them in the next couple of weeks or so.
Have you had them create physical media for you at all? I'm looking to do an initial release of digital only and later on, look at CD and vinyl releases too.
ReaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 04:26 PM   #44
cyrano

Start your own, with Funk Whale/

https://funkwhale.audio/
Old 04-24-2019, 05:52 PM   #45
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaDave View Post
Have you had them create physical media for you at all? I'm looking to do an initial release of digital only and later on, look at CD and vinyl releases too.
Yep, 1000 CDs and that was a smooth process as well. They didn't actually have the CD sleeves I wanted on the website which was a foldout sleeve with an 8-page booklet inside. They called me and quoted me exactly what I wanted anyway. FYI they and DiskMakers are the same basic company which was helpful.

I created a DDP file using Hofa which means I'm guaranteed that what I and the band sign off on, is how the CD turns out. They accept DDP which was great. After that's uploaded they extract it and create the digital distribution files and send me a webpage player that mimics the real release so that I can sign off on the streaming stuff.

They have an ~n step process in their web app for entering everything, uploading, ISRCs, ASCAP/BMI rights and so on. So you have to complete each step in order and review and once all that is done, the final approval steps occur etc. etc. Their backend web app for tracking sales etc. is also pretty good and so on.

I only had one small niggle and that is some of the more detailed instruction documents (for geeks like us) are sort of hidden, not on purpose, but there were a couple times I didn't save a link and couldn't find my way back easily. Even then a quick email and they replied with the proper link and/or PDF docs.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 02:37 PM   #46
poetnprophet

Well, I will be the first to admit that the grass isn't always greener. I have been trying to get a song released through DistroKid for about 2 months. They keep asking for proof of the featured artists, silly stuff like a message through their Twitter account. wtf?? They didn't do that for my other releases so it was really bothering me. After the first 2 attempts I put a submission through CDbaby, and it finally went through today! I hadn't mentioned it in this topic originally because I wasn't sure of the outcome, although this topic was on my mind for a while, and now I'm sharing the story. (hope I didn't hijack)

The process is much more detailed and therefore transparent on CDbaby, cost me $40 for a single vs the $40 I paid for unlimited releases for 1 year with Distrokid. But like I said this is a great time to be out there because no matter what it's never been this easy to do it on your own.
poetnprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:07 PM   #47
sjs94704

There was just one question hanging up my release of my song 'Angel' but, I just got past it and I hit approve so it is officially being sent to all the streaming partners.

I am going to psych myself out to get NO plays or buys at all so that I am happy with whatever I do get and not suffer any disappointment.