Old 09-09-2015, 12:05 PM   #1
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Default Groove Garden

Decided to use some virtual horns and strings for this one.

It's titled "Groove Garden" at:

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13206895
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 03:47 PM   #2
jopatius

Something in my memory tells me that you are a cool guy and you have been able to surprise and please me with your music in the past!
Well, let me tell you my friend, this time this piece just did not quite cut it.
Perhaps the next one will again?
jopatius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 04:27 PM   #3
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopatius View Post
Something in my memory tells me that you are a cool guy and you have been able to surprise and please me with your music in the past!
Well, let me tell you my friend, this time this piece just did not quite cut it.
Perhaps the next one will again?
Ah well, I like all types of music, and most of my songs are experimental endeavors into things that a mere drummer prolly shouldn't be trying.

This one was geared around a set of horn samples I made back in 2003, but had never imported into any player and tweaked for playing. I had a couple days a while back and finally got it done, so I now have a four part horn section that I can add from a template to any song I'm working on in Reaper. I've played in several live bands (as the drummer) with full horn sections, so I was practicing with this song to get back into a mode of thinking what horns might play in a song. Even though drums is the one and only instrument I can play and not think about while doing it, I want to eventually be able to command the language of many other instruments, where I can at least construct coherent sentences. <g>
Old 09-25-2015, 05:19 PM   #4
msundh

Though I usually don't like instrumentals, I did like this one. I wish you didn't categorized it as Jazz Fusion
Old 09-26-2015, 09:26 AM   #5
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by msundh View Post
Though I usually don't like instrumentals, I did like this one. I wish you didn't categorized it as Jazz Fusion
Thanks Mikael. What category do you think would be a better fit for this song? The first tracks to go down were a little short scale Gretsch bass and a single coil guitar both playing more of a Motown feel groove, but once I recorded more tracks it morphed into whatever it is now. :-)
Old 09-26-2015, 09:32 AM   #6
msundh

Forget about the category, just a stupid remark.
Great tune anyway!
Old 09-26-2015, 06:12 PM   #7
msore

The category here is impossible to say. Jazz fusion is usually about jammin instrumentals and more odd chord sequences and time signatures. That is not what this is about. This piece is more interesting compositionally and in terms of arrangement, with mixture and contrast between many voices. The melodic elements are on the simple side, but strong. The changes are steady and interesting. Beat is strong. I found myself saying it sounded like old Chicago.

All that aside, the horns have some strength and nuance, but still sound synthy. All the other instruments are natural, pushy and fun.

The only other thing I would want (if anyone asked) would be some kind of dynamic arrangement that builds to a climax, instead of just ending after a short while.

Thanks for sharing.