Old 03-24-2018, 08:25 AM   #1
Musical
Human being with feelings

Default Plugging new instruments on the fly

Hi guys,
I'm just wondering when, if ever, you would shut down your computer, or Reaper to connect new instruments or mikes. Is it ok to leave everything running and just pull the faders down? I'm just wondering if plugging stuff in can cause power spikes or something harmful to any part of the hardware or software chain.
Musical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:30 AM   #2
Bri1
Banned

Ullo- yep-it may be possible for corruptions to occur if inserting on-the-fly-- i doubt that would be actual 'daw' instability-but it may break existing connections.
Probably wiser to hit stop,or insert pre-projects...safer is surer eh..
The actual bottleneck for modern recordings are the computers themselves--so be kind to them.please.
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:46 AM   #3
Musical

Thanks for the tip.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:48 AM   #4
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musical View Post
Hi guys,
I'm just wondering when, if ever, you would shut down your computer, or Reaper to connect new instruments or mikes. Is it ok to leave everything running and just pull the faders down? I'm just wondering if plugging stuff in can cause power spikes or something harmful to any part of the hardware or software chain.
No, you can leave everything plugged in and just pull the faders, it's fine. No need to quit Reaper or shut down your PC to plug or unplug mic's or DI instruments.

As long as you don't plug in a ribbon microphone in while you're running phantom power, you'll be fine (and even then, you'll probably be fine!)
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:56 AM   #5
Musical

I didn't even think of phantom power. I read a whole thing about the nasty things that can happen with speakers and mixing consoles when disconnecting mikes with phantom power. Thanks.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:06 AM   #6
Stella645

When installing drivers for USB connected instruments if instructed to do so.

Otherwise never....USB is hot pluggable and worse case something won't work and THEN you can restart. Audio connections via your interface for mics and line level instruments can not do any harm to computer or Reaper.

DO turn down before plugging so you don't get loud pops from connecting audio or feedback if you mic channel is routed to monitors.
DON'T plug USB devices into computer (including phones to charge etc) while recording is happening and your singer is half way through an amazing vocal take.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:14 AM   #7
Musical

Great advice. Thanks!
Old 03-24-2018, 10:33 AM   #8
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musical View Post
Hi guys,
I'm not sure if you are asking about inserting new instrument plugins in Reaper or plugging physical cables from a physical instrument into your audio interface.

The 2nd thing (physical connections):
You generally want to turn an input level down to minimum before plugging in an instrument. This makes it the most gentle for that input and well within what it's designed for.

If you have a mixing/monitoring system live (like Reaper DAW or maybe the cuemix mixer in your audio interface), be mindful not to amplify that 'click' and crank it through your speakers! Hit mute on that channel or turn down your monitor volume.

No reason to restart anything (which would likely produce stronger clicks and pops that patching an input anyway if you had monitors turned up).

If you mean the first thing (inserting a new instrument plugin), you'll just have to test it to see if that plugin behaves being inserted live. Very likely it would be fine. I run live sound with Reaper as my mixer from time to time. I can insert various plugins on the fly and you don't hear a peep. Experiment at home. Don't try it untested in front of an audience.

Heh, if you needed to restart the computer before inserting a new plugin, I'd consider such a system DOA. If Reaper is crashing after inserting some plugin to the point you need to restart the computer, that plugin is just buggy!
serr is offline   Reply With Quote