COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :

Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Other Software Discussion > WDL users forum

Old 06-09-2020, 03:46 PM   #1
Nonlinear
Human being with feelings

Default Added parameters to published plugin - how to distribute for backward compatibility?

Upon customer request I have added some new parameters to one of my plugins.

I added the new parameters to the END of the parameter list, presets, and constructor. I assumed this would allow the new version to load OLD plugin settings and presets while "filling in" the default values for the new parameters - but it does not. When run in DAWs with existing projects some of the new plugin parameters load "0.0" while others keep their previous value; none of the new parameters load the default values.

So, is there any way to FORCE the new plugin to load default values if old presets or DAW settings don't contain those parameters - i.e., make the new plugin "backwards compatible"?

Last edited by Nonlinear; 06-18-2020 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Changed thread title
Nonlinear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 04:21 PM   #2
Nonlinear

Upon further testing it appears that this DOES work as I had hoped in the VST and VST3 versions - but NOT on Pro Tools. Pro Tools seems to load random values for the new parameters. Still checking AU.

Last edited by Nonlinear; 06-18-2020 at 04:32 PM.
Old 06-18-2020, 10:56 PM   #3
bozmillar

If you save the version number in the serialization of the parameters, you can know the version number of the last time the plugin was used in the project. If it has no version number, you know it was old. Then, if it's an old version, you can tell it how to deserialize the parameters and what to do with the new ones.
Old 06-19-2020, 09:58 AM   #4
Nonlinear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozmillar View Post
If you save the version number in the serialization of the parameters, you can know the version number of the last time the plugin was used in the project. If it has no version number, you know it was old. Then, if it's an old version, you can tell it how to deserialize the parameters and what to do with the new ones.
Boz,

Thank you for the info.

It sounds like you assume I used "chunks". I did not - I used "MakePresetsFromNamedParams()".

Should have used "chunks"...
Old 06-22-2020, 05:21 AM   #5
olilarkin

you have to add the new parameters at the end. Don't know why it wouldn't work in ProTools
Old 06-22-2020, 10:47 AM   #6
Nonlinear

Quote:
Originally Posted by olilarkin View Post
you have to add the new parameters at the end. Don't know why it wouldn't work in ProTools
They are added at the end.

In VST and VST3 the DAWs “fill in” the new parameters with their default values - as I hoped it would.

In Pro Tools (AAX) and Logic (AU) it appears the new parameters are being filled with “wrapped around” values. The new plugin version has 13 parameters while the previous version had 11. It appears that PT and Logic load the 11 original values and then - because two more values are needed for the new parameters - they loop back to the beginning and load the new parameters 12 & 13 with values from parameters 1 & 2.

Just to be clear, this when the new plugin version is loaded in a DAW project where the previous version was used and saved. When loaded in a new DAW project everything works fine.

Last edited by Nonlinear; 06-22-2020 at 02:27 PM.