Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 08-08-2020, 07:27 AM   #1
bdutta
Human being with feelings

Default Wierd fonts in Ubuntu MATE 20.04 (while perfectly fine on Lubuntu 20.04)

Hi,

Installed latest copy of Reaper DAW first on Ubuntu MATE 20.04 (fresh install, but with Liquorix kernel, and JACKd). The fonts seem hideous and barely usable (all fixed-width, large) and menus are almost unnavigable. Screenshot attached of how the menu navigation looks.

Then I installed same copy of Reaper DAW on Lubuntu 20.04 (another fresh install). The fonts looks okay and as expected.

Wondering as to what's up ? Could it be a bug in Reaper (not very likely since on Lubuntu it seems to be rendering well) ? Any idea around what I might have to do to fix it?

cheers
Attached Images
File Type: png reaper_on_ubuntumate_badfonts(small).png (53.1 KB, 93 views)
bdutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:00 AM   #2
bdutta

Bump.

Did I post the question in wrong part of the forum ? Anyway to move this thread to the right part ?
bdutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:31 PM   #3
JamesPeters

I imagine that distro has certain fonts not installed by default that other distros do. Font substitution gone awry. (Just a guess.)

There's a file you can edit which will probably solve this. Changing font type and size in the first two lines is all you'd need to do. Figure out what font you wish to use from the ones you have installed in your distro first.

This is the file:

libSwell.colortheme

Open it with a text editor. You can find it in the archive for Reaper that you download (in the "reaper_linux_x86_64/REAPER/" folder).

It will need to be placed in a specific folder that Reaper recognizes as its "resource folder". To find your Reaper resource folder, within Reaper go to the menu and choose Options -> Show REAPER resource path in explorer/finder. This is where that file will have to be placed. Restart Reaper.

There are other settings you can change in that file to customize Reaper's appearance. Those top two lines are the ones that should solve this particular thing though.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote