Old 04-25-2017, 09:03 PM   #121
Glacierise
Human being with feelings

I've learned so much from these. Huge thanks!
Old 04-27-2017, 05:38 PM   #122
studer58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
What does everyone else think?

The New Way

vs.

The Old Way
Since the video list is growing, and each is relatively specific, I can see a point where the original list is going to fill the home page with text. This can look messy, although I don't mind that...if it's also combined with sensible sub-grouping then it can more quickly direct viewers to the area they seek advice for.

I can see the advantages of both layouts, but at this stage I prefer the old way...though I can see evolution is necessary !

A context sensitive search function, along the lines of "what do you want to do in Reaper" would help vastly, as it would narrow down search options for each user.
studer58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 05:10 AM   #123
europa_man

Default The New Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Since the video list is growing, and each is relatively specific, I can see a point where the original list is going to fill the home page with text. This can look messy, although I don't mind that...if it's also combined with sensible sub-grouping then it can more quickly direct viewers to the area they seek advice for.

I can see the advantages of both layouts, but at this stage I prefer the old way...though I can see evolution is necessary !

A context sensitive search function, along the lines of "what do you want to do in Reaper" would help vastly, as it would narrow down search options for each user.
First of all - I don't even want to think about where I'd be without your videos for the past few years. They have been invaluable to me. I'm actually teaching other friends on how to use the software.

I like the new layout but as mentioned by others with a super Search engine to locate videos using key words.

I've always been in awe of how you have organized the subject matter to date.
Great work!

Regards,
Eric

Last edited by europa_man; 04-28-2017 at 05:38 PM.
europa_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 06:07 AM   #124
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by europa_man View Post
First of all - I don't even want to think about where I'd be without your videos for the past few years. They have been invaluable to me. I'm actually teaching other friends on how to use the software.

I like the new layout but as mentioned by others with a super Search engine to locate videos but key words.

I've always been in awe of how you have organized the subject matter to date.
Great work!

Regards,
Eric
Thank you. The goal of the new layout was to add a search option but I couldn't figure it out. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. I would love it to be like REAPER's filter where you can type and video would filter to just those words.

The new page just makes it easier to keep things updated as I don't have to do anything besides upload it all to youtube and add the video to a playlist that it applies to.

I appreciate the fact that you think it's organized. It really is hard to figure out what video should go where. If anyone has any suggestions for making it better, I would love to hear them. More categories? Less? Different categories? etc

Thanks
Kenny Gioia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 06:15 PM   #125
europa_man

Default Video Organization

Quote:
Thank you. The goal of the new layout was to add a search option but I couldn't figure it out. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. I would love it to be like REAPER's filter where you can type and video would filter to just those words.

The new page just makes it easier to keep things updated as I don't have to do anything besides upload it all to youtube and add the video to a playlist that it applies to.

I appreciate the fact that you think it's organized. It really is hard to figure out what video should go where. If anyone has any suggestions for making it better, I would love to hear them. More categories? Less? Different categories? etc

Thanks
Hi Kenny,

Here are a few suggestions. I really like when you number the videos.
The Reaper 5 series could be used as the umbrella to organize the other videos you've made.
If you could "link" the same subject matter together with the Reaper 5 series, the other videos of the same or similar topics could be contained or linked in a sub-folder.
For example #5 is Recording Audio. All the recording videos would be linked to the #5 video. You could number each video starting with 5001, 5002, 5003 etc.

Stretch Markers is #20. All stretch marker videos would be in a sub-folder and numbered 2001, 2002, 2203 etc.
Midi - # 24 - Midi videos would be 2401, 2402, 2403 etc.
All videos organized under the main Reaper series in sub-folders by topic.
Each video with it's own distinctive number.

Just my thoughts.

Eric
Old 04-29-2017, 10:49 AM   #126
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by europa_man View Post
Hi Kenny,

Here are a few suggestions. I really like when you number the videos.
The Reaper 5 series could be used as the umbrella to organize the other videos you've made.
If you could "link" the same subject matter together with the Reaper 5 series, the other videos of the same or similar topics could be contained or linked in a sub-folder.
For example #5 is Recording Audio. All the recording videos would be linked to the #5 video. You could number each video starting with 5001, 5002, 5003 etc.

Stretch Markers is #20. All stretch marker videos would be in a sub-folder and numbered 2001, 2002, 2203 etc.
Midi - # 24 - Midi videos would be 2401, 2402, 2403 etc.
All videos organized under the main Reaper series in sub-folders by topic.
Each video with it's own distinctive number.

Just my thoughts.

Eric
It's not a bad idea but many of the videos don't fit under those topics.

And now instead of 8 or 9 categories I would have 30.

I would love to create fewer categories (4 or 5) and have 4 or 5 sub-categories under each. Like an owner's manual might have.

It's also complicated as I make new ones. I tend to make videos from varying points instead of from an organized place.

But I appreciate the input and will consider it.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:52 PM   #127
Robert Randolph

It is looking better but the buttons on the top do nothing. Is that intentional?
Robert Randolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:41 PM   #128
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Randolph View Post
It is looking better but the buttons on the top do nothing. Is that intentional?
Sorry. It's a work in progress.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:41 PM   #129
easton1

Default Troubleshooting...

Kenny, your videos are great. But Reaper is a little like trying to learn to read and write with Chinese characters. There are some 6000 of them, each of which has a different meaning and function within different contexts.OF course once you learn them all, you're a Son of Heaven or Master of the Universe, or whatever passes for either these days.

I'm a newbie with Reaper and having a hell of a time-an old dog trying to learn all these new tricks so I can get on with turning all my previously published novels into audiobooks.

I'm findng it's real easy to mess up a vital project file, and if one sets Reaper to open on the last project, Reaper cannot open. Is there any way to hold down a key to open the program to it's defaults? Because then it would be easy to fix once one has access to the program. Uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't reset any config files already on the hard drive. The Cockos webmaster responded to that question with some vague instructions which I haven't been able to implement and I'm at my wit's end about what to do so I can get back to work on my different projects.
easton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 04:18 AM   #130
Coachz

Quote:
Originally Posted by easton1 View Post
Kenny, your videos are great. But Reaper is a little like trying to learn to read and write with Chinese characters. There are some 6000 of them, each of which has a different meaning and function within different contexts.OF course once you learn them all, you're a Son of Heaven or Master of the Universe, or whatever passes for either these days.

I'm a newbie with Reaper and having a hell of a time-an old dog trying to learn all these new tricks so I can get on with turning all my previously published novels into audiobooks.

I'm findng it's real easy to mess up a vital project file, and if one sets Reaper to open on the last project, Reaper cannot open. Is there any way to hold down a key to open the program to it's defaults? Because then it would be easy to fix once one has access to the program. Uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't reset any config files already on the hard drive. The Cockos webmaster responded to that question with some vague instructions which I haven't been able to implement and I'm at my wit's end about what to do so I can get back to work on my different projects.
Try ctrl+shift when opening reaper
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:56 PM   #131
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Randolph View Post
Took some fiddling but see if you like this:

REAPER Videos

It's a bit of the New way and the Old way.

Thanks
Old 05-10-2017, 11:05 PM   #132
triton60

Hi Kenny,

I just visited your site and got the following prompt (noscript plugin) in firefox. I wouldn't have normally bothered you with it but noticed it referred to localhost:8088/test and thought it might be a link you left in from testing?

Thanks for all the videos and help through the years.

Andrew.
Attached Images
File Type: png kennymania.png (49.8 KB, 547 views)
triton60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 04:11 AM   #133
Robert Randolph

Quote:

REAPER Videos

Thanks
It is an improvement over both ways. Great work and thank you!

I actually just noticed a few video that I didnt see as well.
Robert Randolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:29 AM   #134
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by triton60 View Post
Hi Kenny,

I just visited your site and got the following prompt (noscript plugin) in firefox. I wouldn't have normally bothered you with it but noticed it referred to localhost:8088/test and thought it might be a link you left in from testing?

Thanks for all the videos and help through the years.

Andrew.
I think I was working on it at the time.

Do you still see it?
Old 05-11-2017, 07:58 AM   #135
Pet

Quote:

REAPER Videos

Thanks
It's PERFECT, thanks!
Old 05-11-2017, 12:07 PM   #136
triton60

Quote:
I think I was working on it at the time.

Do you still see it?
Hi Kenny,

Sorry for the delay, I have been away from the computer so couldn't test the page for you.

I am still seeing the message. I will send you a pm because I inspected the page and found the line which I think is causing the warning.

Thanks,

Andrew Branch.

Last edited by triton60; 05-11-2017 at 12:22 PM.
triton60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 05:43 AM   #137
flipotto

Quote:
Thank you.

Probably in the next week I will be doing a video on how I treat my voiceover in my tutorials. Hopefully that will cover everything you need.

Thanks again.

Kenny
Hey Kenny, The quote is from back in Feb 2017

I am very interested to see how you treat your voice in the tutorials, it is very smooth and I can't hear anything in the background. I don't hear any gating or ducking and when you are talking I don't hear any noise... are you in an anechoic chamber?
Please share this info... I do tutorials for my audio production course and need to clean things up for next year, August.

Thanks for all you do, I have learned so much from you.
flipotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:18 AM   #138
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipotto View Post
Hey Kenny, The quote is from back in Feb 2017

I am very interested to see how you treat your voice in the tutorials, it is very smooth and I can't hear anything in the background. I don't hear any gating or ducking and when you are talking I don't hear any noise... are you in an anechoic chamber?
Please share this info... I do tutorials for my audio production course and need to clean things up for next year, August.

Thanks for all you do, I have learned so much from you.
It keeps getting bumped from the list but this one should be done next week.

Sorry for the delay.

No echo chamber at all. If you're in a rush, watch what I did in the ReaFir video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31phzT7pxkk&t=2s

I start by Dynamically Splitting everything. Then I add ReaFir, a bunch of compressors and some EQ.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:10 PM   #139
robgb

Quote:
I start by Dynamically Splitting everything. Then I add ReaFir, a bunch of compressors and some EQ.
I tried this on a vocal and it sounded great. Thanks for the video/tip!
robgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:27 PM   #140
runaway_slave

Default Assigning midi

I'm assigning "record" action on my midi controller, when I press record on controller it starts recording but stops when I take my finger off.
How do I set it to keep recording untill I press stop?

can anyone please help?
runaway_slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 02:48 AM   #141
G-Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by runaway_slave View Post
I'm assigning "record" action on my midi controller, when I press record on controller it starts recording but stops when I take my finger off.
How do I set it to keep recording untill I press stop?

can anyone please help?
Not the right thread.
But, you've probably have the button in toggle-mode,
sending one midi cc on press, same on release.
You need to set it to momentary, one message only.
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 03:30 PM   #142
Baggage

Default Reainsert tutorial?

Hello Kenny,

Firstly, thank you for the tutorials. I'd be lost without them so, much appreciation for your work in getting them out to us. However, there is one tutorial not on the list that I'm keeling over for because I use outboard gear- a tutorial on Reainsert. Do you think there will be one anytime in the near future? Thanks again!
Baggage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:21 PM   #143
24toReaper

Default Video: Linking Master Limiter Parameters...

Hi Kenny,
thanks for your videos, i learned a lot with them!

For your video: "Linking Master Limiter Parameters" i have an idea:

If you add one more slider to the masterLimiter FX:
-> slider8:0<0,1,1{Off,Compensate}>LevelCompensate

and instead of the line:
-> limit = exp(slider6/c_ampdB);

// LevelCompensate
slider8 == 0 ? (
limit = exp(slider6/c_ampdB);
)
limit = exp(slider1/c_ampdB);
);

Then you get the Level Compensation directly in the plugin and keep the value of the "Limit" Parameter!

Also i like to warn everybody not to change the Reaper js-FX, first make a copy of them rename and work with the copy, otherwise your changes are gone after the next Reaper update...

Thanks again!

24toReaper
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Limiter_LC.jpg (57.7 KB, 623 views)
24toReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:35 AM   #144
StringMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by noise_construct View Post
I find the videos unwatchable due to the unprofessional voiceover, he has some sort of speech impediment making pronunciation unclear and can't phrase sentences naturally, words come in short 3-word machine gun bursts with uncomfortable breaks between the bursts.

I feel the same way! Seems like it only bothers a few of us though.
StringMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:52 AM   #145
vanhaze

Yeah, highly subjective and all.

I myself found Kenny to be the best ever voice-over regarding, pace and smoothness (no "...eh..." heard ever).

For abit, i could imagine his flow of voice (tone of voice) seems not to be totally natural, but for me, that is just what it makes more attractive to listen to.
This way of tone of voice gives it "attitude" and firmness.

Again: "highly subjective and all"
Old 11-18-2017, 07:05 PM   #146
Goldreap

Kenny's videos are the most clear and concise that I've ever experienced. I usually only need to watch them once to understand and retain everything in them. The people who run our teacher training programs would do well to study Kenny's method.
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 01:00 AM   #147
soundpebbles

Thank you so much Kenny! I enjoy learning from your tutorial videos. Best of the season to you (and everyone around)!
soundpebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 08:44 AM   #148
MatthewMoran

Default Thank you plus

Kenny,

I used to hate recording - okay, hate is a strong word. But, I would only do the basics to prep songs for my band or to get a general acoustic idea across.

Your videos provide the best instruction on using reaper and understanding sound principles as well. I point many musician friends at them.

Furthermore, it has given me the confidence (and ability) to put together more full-featured demos of my songs. I have a Google Doc for specific instruction that I find valuable. You make up about 80% of the document. EQ - it has been my newest/latest revelation for getting sonic separation without having it sound forced.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
Old 12-25-2017, 08:33 PM   #149
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
Yeah, highly subjective and all.

I myself found Kenny to be the best ever voice-over regarding, pace and smoothness (no "...eh..." heard ever).

For abit, i could imagine his flow of voice (tone of voice) seems not to be totally natural, but for me, that is just what it makes more attractive to listen to.
This way of tone of voice gives it "attitude" and firmness.

Again: "highly subjective and all"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldreap View Post
Kenny's videos are the most clear and concise that I've ever experienced. I usually only need to watch them once to understand and retain everything in them. The people who run our teacher training programs would do well to study Kenny's method.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundpebbles View Post
Thank you so much Kenny! I enjoy learning from your tutorial videos. Best of the season to you (and everyone around)!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewMoran View Post
Kenny,

I used to hate recording - okay, hate is a strong word. But, I would only do the basics to prep songs for my band or to get a general acoustic idea across.

Your videos provide the best instruction on using reaper and understanding sound principles as well. I point many musician friends at them.

Furthermore, it has given me the confidence (and ability) to put together more full-featured demos of my songs. I have a Google Doc for specific instruction that I find valuable. You make up about 80% of the document. EQ - it has been my newest/latest revelation for getting sonic separation without having it sound forced.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
Thanks guys and Happy Holidays!!!!
Old 12-31-2017, 12:08 PM   #150
Giovanni_B

Thank you for your videos Kenny. You are one of the big reasons the Reaper community is so great.

English is not my first language but I understand perfectly what you say. I really appreciate the effort you put to not talk too fast.

Thanks again.
Giovanni_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:53 AM   #151
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovanni_B View Post
Thank you for your videos Kenny. You are one of the big reasons the Reaper community is so great.

English is not my first language but I understand perfectly what you say. I really appreciate the effort you put to not talk too fast.

Thanks again.
Thank you.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:30 AM   #152
DefeatedKeys

I can only echo what previous posters have said.

Being a former long-time SONAR user, I've found these videos invaluable in learning how to "get things done" using Reaper that were second nature in SONAR at a pace that is spot on for newcomers to Reaper like myself.

Excellent stuff Kenny, and long may it continue
DefeatedKeys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 07:27 PM   #153
zappadave

I would like to see a video about aftertouch in reaper.
And maybe something about MPE support.
Thanks for all the great videos you make.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:50 PM   #154
JDSStudios

I also would like to thank you Kenny.
I used to do tech support at Steinberg, as well as seminars, and I would love to switch to REAPER, but there are many things I still need to learn.

Because in my studio I record many different types of projects, like bands, some all acoustic, some almost fully electronic, my focus on the last 30 years has been on a very powerful template.
With my default template I can do anything from recording 5.1 surround a full movie, to a live band, or start just about any Audio and MIDI project.

As I learn REAPER, I am slowly trying to build a project template at the level of Nuendo, and I hope to get there sooner or later.

It will be very tough to switch from Nuendo to REAPER, at least at the speed and depth that I am used to, and I hope I can fully do it.
Your videos are incredibly helpful.
John
JDSStudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 02:07 AM   #155
vanhaze

Hi !

First thing that comes to mind: Why specifically do you want to leave Nuendo for Reaper ?

Anyways,
Yep, you have to take into account that (further) learning Reaper and making a Nuendo alike Template in Reaper will cost you time.
You have to be willing to invest that time.
I honestly think that you won't regret this investment:
I am sure that your workflow speed in Nuendo can be translated to a superfast workflow in Reaper.
I'll bet, in the end, you can do things in Reaper even faster than in Nuendo.

I would say: just take the plunge and don't be afraid.
Ofcourse, this is only my subjective opinion.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:43 AM   #156
JDSStudios

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
Hi !

First thing that comes to mind: Why specifically do you want to leave Nuendo for Reaper ?

[/I]
vanhaze there are several reasons why I want to switch from Nuendo,
and some of them are:
1 The huge amount of money Steinberg wants to upgrade
2 REAPER's price
3 The incredible capability of REAPER
4 Justin Frankel and his team's excellent attitude
5 The great REAPER community here at the forum
6 Individual contributions like forum's Superstar Kenny Gioia
7 Older guy's learning new software keep their neuroplastic brain younger
JDSStudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:11 PM   #157
MemeRunner

Videos are fantastic, Kenny.
Old 07-26-2018, 10:13 AM   #158
Philbo King

Quote:

REAPER Videos

Thanks
Nice!

I do like the idea of a search bar, where if you type in 'stretch marker' for example it would pop up a list of all your videos that cover that topic.
One way to do that might be to use tag words on each video, like people do to get hits on google searches.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:55 PM   #159
Tkearneyone

Default Thanks Kenny - two reasons...

Hello Kenny!

I’m a recently retired old fart who now has the time to play and record a lot of music, and Reaper is amazing.

My first thanks, which everyone else happily agrees with, is for your wonderful videos - I’ve learned more about recording and mixing in the last six months than in the previous 40 years I’ve toyed with recording - all because of your videos!

The second thanks is a little more personal - I was born in New York and lived there for my first 35 years... but I’ve been living in Pittsburgh, PA for the last 28 years.

A few years ago in this thread, someone complained about your New York accent - well, every time I watch and listen to one of your videos, I feel like I’m home again!

I’d love to buy you a bagel and cup of coffee someday!

Thanks again -
Tom Kearney
(A Brooklyn boy)
Tkearneyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 10:31 AM   #160
SmajjL

Hmm, if there is a Rewire tut with Kenny, then I could not find it in 30 seconds.
I just went multi DAW user, Ableton in my case.
Ps, no, it must be Kenny, thx.

SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote