Old 12-21-2008, 08:05 AM   #1
smarmit
Human being with feelings

Default AU plugins not working

Dear members,

I'm running the 2.53 version on Mac OS X. It runs great and I have no problems other than trying to use AU plugins. While there are no errors tyring to add an AU plugin, they do nothing. Here's an example:

I have EZdrummer installed. In a brand new Reaper project if I have a new empty track, then add EZdrummer VST, everything works great. I can open EZdrummer and load an ezdrummer pattern and all is well. If I try to load the AU version of EZdrummer (it ships with both), no sound. This isn't just an EZdrummer issue as I've tried other AU plugins and they have no effect.

I searched the forums first but did not see anyone else reporting this issue. Some of the free, 'came with OS X' plugins are pretty darn good so I'd really like to be able to use AU plugins if Reaper can do it.

Any help is appreciated and thanks.

Scott
smarmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:07 AM   #2
semiquaver

many AU plugs are working fine here - post yr specs and list the non-working plugs...
semiquaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 12:57 PM   #3
Owyn

Hi. I am also running a mac (10.5.6) and reaper (2.53 or 2.99) and I noticed a similar problem with the AU version of iDrum from iZotope... when I first add it to a project it gives me an error message that says "Could not get channel info for effects (are they multichannel)". But I can't figure out how to set it up after that to get audio working. However, all the built in AU plugins that I have tried work. Haven't tried a lot tho...

On the flip side, the VST plugin version of iDrum adds without an error and makes sounds but it has a big graphical glitch. The UI will not draw correctly until you change the size of the FX chain window, then it's okay. I can post screenshots or any other details...
Owyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 12:27 PM   #4
smarmit

Thanks for the replies. Yes, VST plugins work just fine, but none of the AU plugins that you get 'for free' with Leopard work. The list is ALL of them. It's clearly something that I'm missing on my setup, but just don't see what it is. I'm far too lazy to type all the AU plugins that don't work since it's all of them.

Thanks for any help.
smarmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 07:53 AM   #5
mio*star

Default same bugs here (2.43 OSX)

Similar bugs here : iZotope plugs seem NOT work well (Phatmatik Pro, Ozone) + many grafx issues with part of plug-ins not being displayed, etc.

+ most of the AU are not seen as multi-outputs even though their VST versions are !

I started using VSTs only but still have problems with Native Instruments etc.

I still have to check if 2.54 for OSX works better.

I wish all of these limitations could be solved quite quickly.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:52 PM   #6
Owyn

Hi. I just re-tested this with OS X version 2.54 and it's the same problem... I'm not sure if it's an issue with Reaper or the iZotope plugin though. With the VST I get graphic glitches but the sound at least works, and with the AU version the graphics are good but I get an error when the plugin loads and then no audio. Attaching screenshots...

I do have a registered version of the iZotope plugin so I could contact their tech support too and see if they are aware of issues with Reaper?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 3.jpg (42.8 KB, 392 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 4.jpg (41.1 KB, 375 views)
Old 01-03-2009, 03:47 PM   #7
mio*star

Default Mmmmmhhh ...

... yes, I get that kind of similar behaviours with Phatmatik Pro.

The problem seems to be on Reaper's side as my iZotope plug-ins (Trash, Spectron, Phatmatik Pro, Ozone) all work perfectly in Digital Performer or Ableton Live.

Reaper team ?
Old 01-04-2009, 04:07 AM   #8
mr jkn

Tried Stillwell Rocket AU - doesn´t process audio when reopening a project using the plug. VST version works great. I´m on latest osx (mac mini).
mr jkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 05:37 AM   #9
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe

Hmm, I use a few AU plugs and they all work great. LAConvolver, the free Studio Devil amp sim and a few of the ones that come pre installed with MacOSX (at least they did on my MBP) - Multiband compressor, Distorsion and Low pass are among the ones I've tried.

All work during playback and when applied.

Regards,
- Jonas
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:30 PM   #10
Owyn

Just bumping the thread, with some more details...

AU fx plugins generally seem to work, but all the AU instruments that I have tried generate no audio. Does that seem to be the case for others?

AU instruments and plugins on the other hand seem to be graphically fine, but the VST instruments I've been using have graphical glitches. Some VST fx plugs also glitch...

iZotope Trash is another example... it's an fx plugin. the AU version works fine but the VST version is pretty much unusable because of graphical glitches obscuring the UI. Audio is OK in both cases. Fortunately I have both options, so I can generally get work done.

i sure do like the iZotope plugs though. I just wish they worked better in Reaper...
Old 01-16-2009, 01:04 AM   #11
mio*star

Default Same thing here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owyn View Post
Just bumping the thread, with some more details...

AU fx plugins generally seem to work, but all the AU instruments that I have tried generate no audio. Does that seem to be the case for others?

AU instruments and plugins on the other hand seem to be graphically fine, but the VST instruments I've been using have graphical glitches. Some VST fx plugs also glitch...

iZotope Trash is another example... it's an fx plugin. the AU version works fine but the VST version is pretty much unusable because of graphical glitches obscuring the UI. Audio is OK in both cases. Fortunately I have both options, so I can generally get work done.

i sure do like the iZotope plugs though. I just wish they worked better in Reaper...
... same thing here.
+ Altiverb 6 causes really bad crashes.

Reaper once crashed and when re-opened all my preferences had gone, my Reaper theme was not loaded, my plug-ins custom structure gone as well ...
Quite worrying !

Btw, do you know where the prefs + plug-in custom structure is are located ?
Old 01-16-2009, 12:52 PM   #12
Owyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mio*star View Post

Btw, do you know where the prefs + plug-in custom structure is are located ?
Someone will hopefully correct me if I'm wrong, but I think all that is stored either in the project file itself or in /Users/xxx/Library/Application Support/REAPER

There's a reaper.ini file, plugin presets, and FX/Track/Project templates are saved there.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:16 PM   #13
BoxOfSnoo

Come to think of it, the AU version of Bismark didn't seem to do anything, but the VST one works.