Old 04-18-2021, 06:02 AM   #1
GameAudioRvlzzr
Human being with feelings

Default Just start recording, autodetect tempo

Hi all,

when inspiration strikes, i want to go from starting Reaper to recording my idea as fast as possible.

So here's what i would like to be able to do:
In an empty Project, i would like to just start recording, play my idea on the midi keyboard without click or any other tracks. Also without setting or tabbing the tempo first.

If i do this at the moment, i end up with a midi item that's in a different tempo than the project.

Instead, I would like Reaper to autodetect the tempo of my recording and set the project's tempo accordingly. It would be great if that happened without me indicating where the phrase starts or ends - maybe interpreting the first note as the beginning of the measure, and the last as the first of the next measure (would require me to always play the first note of the measure again, i think that's ok).

So, dear Reaper wizards, is this possible?
Thank you for your input.
GameAudioRvlzzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 07:22 AM   #2
SonicAxiom
Human being with feelings

well, how can Reaper be able to correctly guess the metrum of what you're playing? The first note you are playing may be the 1 of a measure but it can also be a 16th triplet before the actual 1. The rhythmic pattern your are playing can be interpreted in endless ways. Complex sonic analysis algorothms may be capable of finding your metrum but that will be a fairly big task. Playing without a click, your playing will have plenty of tempo variations and fluctuations going on which makes it hard to correctly interpret the metric position of each note. This is why MIDI quantization doesn't always give good results and you still have to manually interfere.

There are several ways to warp Reaper's gid to free-wheeled recordings relatively conveniently and with virtually absolute precision after the fact. You can find a few of those videos on my youtube channel.

We are all hoping for the perfect automatic solution for this issue in the future.