Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 09-30-2020, 11:09 AM   #1
Robdamage
Human being with feelings

Default Circuit, Session Chaining, MIDI & Reaper

Hi. I'll get to the point about what I'd like to do:

Basically, either from the usb connection or midi, I would like to record my Novation Circuit performance complete with session changes as a MIDI track. Then I'd like to create audio tracks of the various patches I used on the Circuit soloed but in time with the song/performance when I play back the MIDI track. I got this idea via Reddit where someone posted that this is what they do in lieu of the Circuit not having a traditional "song mode". Other than that, he said that he connects to Reaper via usb. No other description of connetion/setup was given and the post was from 4 or 5 years ago. This is a pretty big deal to me as I would like to make songs and not just have a cool toy to fiddle with at a coffee shop. The only other Groovebox I've used with Reaper is an old Electribe- but this was primarily to send start/stop messages only- so I have some experience with midi clock. Please Help. Also, if what I'm trying to achieve here isn't possible and the old post on Reddit was hogwash, please let me know so I can begin to re-grow the hair I've yanked out trying to make it work.

In advance,
THANK YOU!
Robdamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 11:17 AM   #2
TonE

If Circuit outputs all data, e.g. midi via usb, just record all into Reaper.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 11:46 AM   #3
Robdamage

Hi Tone,

I think I'm missing some necessary steps in Reaper. Because what ever knob movements/session changes i make, are not being recorded, or are being recorded but are not being received by the Circuit when I play the track back. And tbh, I have a feeling whatever it is that I'm missing, is probably pretty obvious.
Old 09-30-2020, 04:02 PM   #4
TonE

Then do the tests step by step.

1. Testing if Reaper is recording. Just look into the item, which cc is there.

2. You need to select your Circuit again as output, in the midi devices settings from that track where you recorded, so Circuit can receive this data. But if Circuit will react to those data is another story. If yes, you should be lucky.

Usually you can use this technique with any device which is capable of feedback, for example my midi keyboard K-board, can show its lighting from its received midi notes. So the feedback signal just shows some lights, but no sound, in the device at least. In your case it would be same, only Circuit should also produce certain sounds, I guess. Good luck.

You could paste the screenshots of your midi device settings.
Old 09-30-2020, 07:06 PM   #5
Robdamage

Thanks. Making sure the Circuit was receiving midi data was something I missed. Right now, I have it to where I perform and make session changes, knob turns etc.. Strangely enough, it plays back some of these changes, but unfortunately not all. When it starts to mess up, it messes up BAD. Like it will literally sound like someone is punching my Circuit. On YouTube someone said to have the Circuit run on midi channel 16 (that's fine, I can do that) but set the program change number in Reaper to be 64. Do you know where I can enter program change numbers??
Old 10-01-2020, 08:21 AM   #6
Robdamage

Tone- thanks again for helping me troubleshoot. I finally figured it out. Circuit was sending MiDi fine and Reaper was recording it fine. The problems occurred upon the Circuits retrieval of the information. Given that the Circuit doesn't have a screen, it's MiDi settings tend to be trail and error. Here's a video as an example: https://youtu.be/5yhVOKvHigs I will be making my own video tutorial to help anyone out that hits the same wall I did and will title it the same as in this post.
Old 10-02-2020, 04:00 PM   #7
TonE

Cool if it works now for you! Have fun my friend.