Old 09-13-2020, 07:21 PM   #1
K8inLA
Human being with feelings

Default Plugins stop working without notice

I just realized I've been having this problem for months in REAPER 6.13 with Windows 8.1.

Plugins that are working fine one minute stop responding, so a mix that sounds great suddenly sounds like chaos. I couldn't figure out why tuned vocals kept going back out of tune and EQ that sounded perfect suddenly needs adjusting, and the reverb that was perfect now sounds off. Then trying to adjust the Vahalla Vintage Verb, I realized that it wasn't having any impact on the sound. I've had the same problem with Melodyne, Fabfilter Pro Q 3, Mcompressor and other plugins. It seems totally random which ones and how many go out. I've just wasted 2 months trying to get one song mixed and couldn't figure out why, when my last rendered track was almost perfect, I'd go back to my session and random things were off again.

I thought it might be a processor issue because I had a lot of other programs open when I first realized what was happening, and I often leave a session open for days at a time, but I've been closing down and rebooting my computer every few hours today, and I'm still having the same issue.

I also thought Melodyne might be sucking up all the resources, so I rendered all the tracks and clips with Melodyne, but that didn't solve the problem.

Out of about 80 tracks, I think about 20 of them have 2-5 plugins each and several have animation. That doesn't seem like an abnormal amount. Only one of those is an active midi track. The rest are audio and aux/bus tracks.

Is there some setting I can change that could solve this? I have the Buffer settings on the default settings. I'm pulling my hair out trying to get this song finished.

For future development, it would be helpful if there were at least a warning when something stops working.

Kayte
K8inLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 03:30 AM   #2
Coachz

I noticed this too and wonder what causes it. All of a sudden the fx has no effect and a Reaper restart is required to fix it for me. Putting th fx offline and back onlinedid not fix it.
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 12:45 PM   #3
K8inLA

Default Same in REAPER 6.12c

I tried reverting to a previous version of REAPER to see if the problem was still there, and I have the same issue. I can toggle the whole batch of track FX on and off and it makes no difference in the sound.
Old 09-14-2020, 09:10 PM   #4
K8inLA

It's also affecting animation envelopes. All the painstaking animation just stops working. This is driving me crazy. Any ideas?
Old 09-14-2020, 09:27 PM   #5
dub3000

Maybe some of your plugins are buggy.

One thing to try is:
* Go to settings, Plug-ins, Compatibility
* Set VST bridging/firewalling to "In dedicated process per-plugin"
* Restart session and see what happens.

This will stop a dodgy plugin from stomping on other ones, at the expense of clunkier UI (UIs appear in popups) and slightly higher CPU usage. Worth a try, at least.
dub3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 10:05 AM   #6
K8inLA

Default could it be a cache issue?

It happens with Reaper's built in effects as well, including volume envelopes. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the plugin cache. I see in the VST settings that there is an option to clear the cache, but not to specify the location of the plugin cache or the size of the cache. I see a setting for changing the peak cache, but not the general or plugin cache.

When I tried to clear the cache and rescan, Reaper crashed.

The VSTs are scanned whenever the program launches, but maybe the cache isn't clearing. Sometimes rebooting the program or the computer help. Sometimes it doesn't.

I run Reaper and the majority of VSTs from the D: drive because I have a tiny 256 gb SSD C: drive and a couple TB on D:. The project files are on an external drive. I've only got 37 GB free on C: so if it's trying to cache to C:

If I can't get this solved soon, I'm going to have to break down and get another DAW.
Old 09-15-2020, 10:47 AM   #7
K8inLA

Default More steps I've taken

I was mixing in my original production session, so I rendered my stems with all effects turned off and started a new mixing session.

I ran clear cache/re-scan from the VST settings.

In the General> Advanced UI settings, I changed "Set process working set size" from 512 to 2400.

I applied EQ and compression to 2 tracks and a couple volume envelopes. The effects stopped working.

I am so done with this mess.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:23 PM   #8
K8inLA

Default solved?

I had VST plugins in a couple different places on my D: and C: drives and I had Reaper looking all those places to get them. I decided to organize them into one place. When I did, I found the file in the VST folder within the Reaper program that says DON'T PUT VST PLUGINS HERE (totally counter-intuitive). I had plugins installed there, so I moved them, and moved everything possible into a Common files/VST/ and /VST3 folder on my D: drive, with only Melodyne stuck on the C: drive.

I uninstalled and reinstalled Reaper.

The plugins were working again briefly and then stopped working, including native reaper plugins.

So, not solved.

Kayte

Last edited by K8inLA; 09-17-2020 at 09:41 AM.
Old 09-18-2020, 04:22 AM   #9
dub3000

Sorry to hear you're not having any luck with it.

What you are describing sounds super weird though.

I'd suggest dropping back to total basics and building things up one step at a time. Clean Reaper reinstall, no VSTs, just use the built-in effects, and see if it's still happening. Then add a couple VSTs at a time, test and validate. It might be something weird like hardware or driver issues on your machine.

Good luck!
dub3000 is offline   Reply With Quote