Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 09-20-2020, 02:55 PM   #1
sonictim
Human being with feelings

Default Ability to Rename ReaScripts Within Reaper

I'm really hoping that someone is going to reply with a solution to this that I've somehow overlooked but if not, this is something that drives me CRAZY in reaper.

Often when developing a script in reaper, I'll give it a name, and when it's finished, I'll realize something about that name is not correct and I need to change the name. As far as I can tell, the only way to do this... (while staying inside the reaper environment) is to create a new script with the adjusted name. Copy all the text from my old script into my newly created script and save. Then go delete the old script both in reaper, and in the folder it originally was created in. Or I could rename the file on my drive, then reimport to reaper, but I still have to delete the broken script link now that I've renamed from the action list.

It would AMAZING if the rescript editor had the ability to be able to rename a script that I'm editing/working on to streamline this process...

I understand reaper has to do some internal magic with assigning command IDs/etc when creating scripts, so I get that my request is a bit more complicated than simply renaming a file, but I do think this is a pretty reasonable request. We can rename custom actions within reaper, I'd love to be able to rename my rescripts I'm developing within the reaper environment also.

Thank you so much for your time and consideration...
sonictim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 03:06 PM   #2
Meo-Ada Mespotine

You could also rename the file, exchange the old filename with the new in the reaper-kb.ini and restart Reaper.
But it's not easier than all the other ways, though with the benefit of associated shortcuts still intact.

It could be possible to write a script, that automatically removes all invalid scripts and adds non-existant ones.
In that case, you would need to rename the file and run the "Actionlist Update Script".
Would possibly lopse existing shortcuts for the deleted script.

Still, would only be workarounds and a "Select new file for this action"-option would be more handy.

On vacation for the time being...
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 05:51 PM   #3
sonictim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meo-Ada Mespotine View Post
You could also rename the file, exchange the old filename with the new in the reaper-kb.ini and restart Reaper.
But it's not easier than all the other ways, though with the benefit of associated shortcuts still intact.

It could be possible to write a script, that automatically removes all invalid scripts and adds non-existant ones.
In that case, you would need to rename the file and run the "Actionlist Update Script".
Would possibly lopse existing shortcuts for the deleted script.

Still, would only be workarounds and a "Select new file for this action"-option would be more handy.
Yes, there are many ways to rename a script, but none of them are a simple 1 step process!

My brain has been coming up with lots of ways to add this functionality myself, but then I thought, wait a minute, I can't be the only one who finds this frustrating, so I thought perhaps I should ask the Devs to provide this functionality for us, as it seems to be something that should already be bullt in....

Thanks as always for your input!
sonictim is offline   Reply With Quote