Old 04-20-2008, 02:58 PM   #1
caotico
Human being with feelings

Default unintentional pitch shifting

I recorded some guitar tracks (48k 24bit wav), lead vocals, and then backup vocals. I can't figure out what happened, but the pitch seems to have shifted significantly upward, and I can't get it back. I didn't intentionally move any tracks or shorten them. I thought at the time that my sound card (a motu 828 mkii was playing back at the wrong frequency), but other songs play fine. I tried starting a new reaper proj. and reinserting the wave files from that project folder. In that case, my guitar tracks seem to be playing back normally (although I'm having a hard time lining them up with the click); however, the vocals are still shifted up. The metronome in the original project is still set to 108 and is, i think, in line with the click track. Sorry for the long description. Any idea what I did?
caotico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:04 AM   #2
Klemper

Bumping this. I'm having the same problem . . .
Klemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:10 AM   #3
caotico

so I'm not the only one. Does this happen on multiple projects for you? It has only happened to one of my projects so far. It was a pretty good take, and I didn't want to do it over again. Every time I load it, it sounds like this, but if I switch to a different project, everything is fine.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:20 AM   #4
Klemper

Quote:
Originally Posted by caotico View Post
so I'm not the only one. Does this happen on multiple projects for you? It has only happened to one of my projects so far. It was a pretty good take, and I didn't want to do it over again. Every time I load it, it sounds like this, but if I switch to a different project, everything is fine.
Yeah, it's happening on one guitar take. I did fix it once by right clicking on the track and going to "item properies" (I think) and changing the project pitch to 0. Howevere, everytime I load the project, it still goes back to sounding the same.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:16 PM   #5
shaman

Is the 'Rate' slider in the middle of the transport at 1.0?
shaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:29 PM   #6
caotico

yes, the rate slider is at 1.0

my pitch is set at zero too.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:31 PM   #7
dub3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klemper View Post
Yeah, it's happening on one guitar take. I did fix it once by right clicking on the track and going to "item properies" (I think) and changing the project pitch to 0. Howevere, everytime I load the project, it still goes back to sounding the same.
can you make a copy of this project that just has the problematic section? does it still happen? it might be worth sending this to the devs, could be a bug.
dub3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:36 AM   #8
Klemper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub3000 View Post
can you make a copy of this project that just has the problematic section? does it still happen? it might be worth sending this to the devs, could be a bug.
I did fix it once by right clicking on the track and going to "item properties" (I think) and changing the project pitch to 0. That fixed it but, everytime I load the project, it still goes back to sounding the fast/high pitch.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:23 PM   #9
Andorbal

I'm not sure if this is related to a problem I was having, but a little while ago I recorded some tracks in Reaper and they sounded fine. When I rendered the tracks, though, it would play back noticeably faster than what it sounded like in Reaper.

The cause was some sample rate mismatching between Reaper, ASIO, and my FW interface. Once I made sure that everything was exactly the same, the problem went away (though the tracks I initially recorded were forever fast).
Andorbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 01:27 AM   #10
caotico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andorbal View Post
I'm not sure if this is related to a problem I was having, but a little while ago I recorded some tracks in Reaper and they sounded fine. When I rendered the tracks, though, it would play back noticeably faster than what it sounded like in Reaper.

The cause was some sample rate mismatching between Reaper, ASIO, and my FW interface. Once I made sure that everything was exactly the same, the problem went away (though the tracks I initially recorded were forever fast).
I wouldn't be surprised if this is exactly what happened (which would explain why it isn't a problem on any other project). Sometimes my MOTU gets bumped into 44.1 if I run something else with audio. My guess is that maybe this happened, and reaper recorded it as if it were 48, which would have sounded fine if the motu stayed at 44.1. But once I reloaded the prog and it switched back to 48, thinks sounded high pitched and would forever sound that way. I guess I could try to figure out how to convert it or something.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:39 AM   #11
caotico

Default problem confirmed

Yep, confirmed. That was the problem. I confirmed it by having reaper set at 48k, running a quicktime vid (the audio from the vid kicked my MOTU into 44.1, and then jumping back into reaper (now at 44.1, but thinking it is at 48k). And the audio sounds perfect (well, it sounds like me anyway, at the right speed).

So help me out. Reaper thinks it recorded the tracks at 48k, but the audio interface was actually at 44.1, so the actual files are 44.1, right? Now, how do I get reaper to play them at 44.1, change the settings in reaper to 44.1 and tell it not to convert the audio or something?

Also, would this be considered a bug?

edit: I tried simply changing the project setting to 44.1 (this changed the MOTU to 44.1), but when I change the project settings, the hi pitched audio remains unchanged.

Last edited by caotico; 08-29-2008 at 01:45 AM.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:14 AM   #12
DarkStar

Just so that I understand;
- Reaper was set at 48K, as was your audio interface,
- running a QT video reset the audio interface to 44.1,
- but Reaper did not change (was not notified? did not notice?)

Your recording was at 44.1 but Reaper thinks that it is 48?

Can you try playing your recording in any other app (host or audio editor)?

Also you might try ticking "Request Sample Rate" in Options >> Preferences >> Audio >> Device.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:41 AM   #13
caotico

yes Darkstar,
the ai switched, but reaper didn't know it. What's interesting is that I could repeat the problem last night and actually hear the tracks the way they were performed (while reaper was once again thinking it was at 48k but was actually coming out at 44.1). However, this morning, I couldn't get it to do the same thing. As I jumped back to reaper from the QT video, the interface would switch back to 48k. When I would go back to Quicktime, the audio would be playing too fast there.

I tried requesting a different sample rate, but reaper didn't want to switch to 44.1 when I did that for some reason. And if I change the project setting, even though the interface would switch to 44.1, the tracks were still playing too fast.

I did, however, solve the problem (kind of). I had to use Cubase to do it.

1. I start a new cubase project, set it to 44.1, and import the problem files from my reaper project. Cubase asks if I want to convert the files (to 44.1), and I say no. Now the files play fine in Cubase, but they aren't lined up right because they started at different times.

2. I bounce those files down, and Cubase saves them at 44.1

3. I reload the new files into a cubase project at 48k and do convert them.

4. I bounce those files.
5. Replace the reaper files with these converted files.
6. reopen reaper project, and the files play normally. However, they're now not lined up, because the starting point for some of the files is off in reaper. So I adjust those track more or less, and I'm more or less back to normal.

It's pretty clear that reaper was recording the files as if they were 48k when they were really coming in at 44.1. I'm sure there may have been an easier way to fix this.