Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 10-19-2016, 02:43 AM   #121
DarkStar
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3PL1CANT View Post
As each day goes by in the 60-day evaluation period, I’ve decided to put away $1 and buy the license because I’d be stupid not to!
That's a great way to save up for the licence. Every time you see something in Reaper that surprises / delights you, put a $ in the jar (or $4 if you want the commercial licence). You'll soon get to the required amount.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:32 PM   #122
R3PL1CANT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
That's a great way to save up for the licence. Every time you see something in Reaper that surprises / delights you, put a $ in the jar (or $4 if you want the commercial licence). You'll soon get to the required amount.
It's hard not to get sidetracked and get lost in the options and preference...
..must.stop.procrastinating..
R3PL1CANT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:20 PM   #123
Burkeoncopperhead

Default Is it Christmas already...

For a fella just getting started, Kenny's stuff is a goldmine. Kenny.. You da man for sure!!!
Yahoo
Old 11-03-2016, 04:09 PM   #124
GordonDavid

Default Help with creating the Pumping Synth

Kenny, thanks for that video on how to create the Pumping Synth as used in EDM. However, when I try to do the same, it does not work. Here's what I have going: Track 1 is an ambient .wav file and the next is a "kick" file. I tried all three methods that you showed but I could not get it to work. I am using the latest version of Reaper. And I was using REACOMP FX. What am I doing wrong or incorrect. Thanks Kenny!!! Great videos!!!

David
GordonDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 05:49 PM   #125
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonDavid View Post
Kenny, thanks for that video on how to create the Pumping Synth as used in EDM. However, when I try to do the same, it does not work. Here's what I have going: Track 1 is an ambient .wav file and the next is a "kick" file. I tried all three methods that you showed but I could not get it to work. I am using the latest version of Reaper. And I was using REACOMP FX. What am I doing wrong or incorrect. Thanks Kenny!!! Great videos!!!

David
If you can send me a project file, with your attempt, I can try to figure it out.
Kenny Gioia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 05:52 PM   #126
GordonDavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
If you can send me a project file, with your attempt, I can try to figure it out.
How do I attach it??? Can you send me an email address and I can send it that way?
Old 11-03-2016, 05:58 PM   #127
GordonDavid

Quote:
How do I attach it??? Can you send me an email address and I can send it that way?
See WIP25.RPP attached. Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: rpp WIP25.RPP (13.0 KB, 339 views)
Old 11-03-2016, 06:15 PM   #128
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
See WIP25.RPP attached. Thanks.
Without the audio, it's hard to tell what you're doing.

None of these tracks have a ReaComp on them and none of them are bussed anywhere.
Old 11-03-2016, 07:21 PM   #129
GordonDavid

Quote:
Without the audio, it's hard to tell what you're doing.

None of these tracks have a ReaComp on them and none of them are bussed anywhere.
Here's ther new WIP25.RPP file. How can I send you audio files? The originals are too large.
Attached Files
File Type: rpp WIP25.RPP (13.6 KB, 329 views)
Old 11-05-2016, 04:49 PM   #130
GordonDavid

Quote:
Here's ther new WIP25.RPP file. How can I send you audio files? The originals are too large.
Kenny, I figured it out.... For me, it's different than your video. Here's my settings:
-Open ReaComp in the PAD, set Attack for 90.0 ms, Release 10 ms, Ratio: 4 to 1, Detector input Aux Input L+R, Wet Slider to +- 4.7

Then choose the "kick". Drag and Drop the Send on to ReaComp. Change Post-Fade to Pre-Fade, make sure Audio 1/2 -> 3/4. Adjust Slider from inf to 2.50. On the PAD: change Track channels from 2 to 4. Test and adjust as you like! Thanks for your help and videos.
Old 12-02-2016, 03:53 AM   #131
Hafer

These tutorials are really great!

learning a lot - and not only about reaper: Kenny's rhythmic flow of speech constantly stimulates my listening comprehension ;-)

Thanks again!
Hafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 03:05 AM   #132
Klemperer

I had bought the Reaper 4 videos, and even if you're a long time user, you still learn new things thanks to these videos.
Even simple things can be overlooked as one can get lost in all the possibilities we have with Reaper. Small example - I record a lot of found sounds in a big city, obviously they do not stop their background noises just for me [manic aviation being one example in Germany, people fly 100 times more than 40 years before, oooh this weekend nr 11 at this posh art gallery etc.). I always transferred my wavs to Soundforge 9 and their noise reduction tool-addon. Until I watched Kenny's REAFIR video about noise reduction! The once expensive noise reduction in Soundforge has no intuitive "ctrl and move the level yourself" feature REAFIR has. And results are superb for my needs with Reafir. There are so many small features like that which even long-time users just didn't find out themselves. So the videos are not only for the people new here, but are a treasure for all musicians not being superbly well organised^^. Thanks!
Klemperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 12:16 PM   #133
ldecola

Default tutorial files?

i just started the videos and wonder if the example files (e.g. in 1. INTRO: synth.wav, piano.wav, etc.) are available anywhere so i can try out the steps myself.
ldecola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 12:17 PM   #134
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldecola View Post
i just started the videos and wonder if the example files (e.g. in 1. INTRO: synth.wav, piano.wav, etc.) are available anywhere so i can try out the steps myself.
I can give them to you.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:39 AM   #135
Heavy Jerk

Many thanks to Cockos & Kenny for this free stuff! When I left Cubase for Reaper a few years back, watching Kenny's Reaper 4 Explained tutorial made it a lot easier to switch.

Kenny I was wondering, is it still worth getting your Groove3 Tips & Tricks, Signal Flow and Advanced SWS Extension tutorials, or are they all made obsolete by this videos on Cockos' site? How much of stuff in those 3 tuts is covered in these new videos?

Cheers

Last edited by Heavy Jerk; 01-04-2017 at 07:51 AM.
Heavy Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:33 AM   #136
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jerk View Post
Many thanks to Cockos & Kenny for this free stuff! When I left Cubase for Reaper a few years back, watching Kenny's Reaper 4 Explained tutorial made it a lot easier to switch.

Kenny I was wondering, is it still worth getting your Groove3 Tips & Tricks, Signal Flow and Advanced SWS Extension tutorials, or are they all made obsolete by this videos on Cockos' site? How much of stuff in those 3 tuts is covered in these new videos?

Cheers
I would say that the REAPER Advanced SWS Extension video should be still very useful and relevant.

I have not covered any of them in the FREE videos.

Thanks
Old 03-09-2017, 11:45 PM   #137
declan32001

Quote:
I would say that the REAPER Advanced SWS Extension video should be still very useful and relevant.

I have not covered any of them in the FREE videos.

Thanks
I watched the SWS Extensions vids 2 days ago (30 day pass $10).

I've been demoing Reaper for about a month and I've watched so many of your vids that I hear your voice in my sleep :-).

There are some Reaper Groove3 vids that did expound on some things that the free ones don't have, but overall the free ones are simply great & comprehensive.

Thanks for all of your hard work. It's time for me do really digging into the manual.
declan32001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 03:55 PM   #138
donchilcott

Default Kenny videos

I just saw a few new videos. Soooo good. I am sure Kenny is going to Heaven for his generous giving of his time and effort 🙏 😇
Reaper, Intel i7 machine with 24 gigs of ram, Win 7 , M-Audio FW 410, Alesis i02, i7 Laptop w Win 8.1, Fender Concert 2, Bugera V22, Fender Showman(Red Knob) Ibanez Artist335, Strat, Ibanez Les Paul, Epiphone Sheraton, ETC
donchilcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 03:03 AM   #139
marsmellow

Hi Kenny,

How are you doing?

I posted a question about Reamote some while ago, but probably you missed it.
I was wondering the following...

Can you please make a video about how to setup Reamote, since I know a lot of Reaper users (including me) are still struggling with this, and it's one of the best overlooked features of Reaper.
With every new release/ update of Reaper, the Reamote application has been updated as well, so it seems it's a important feature which is still worked on by Cockos at every release.
Strangely enough, there's no official tutorial/ video about this networking feature.

The existing video's circulating on YouTube are very, very rare about this topic, maybe because most users find it too difficult to setup. Or maybe Reamote (especially the Mac version) is still too beta-ish to spend a well explained video on this topic.

Please, can you help us users explain the following:

1. Reamote setup from Mac OSX (as Master) to a second Mac (as slave).
2. Reamote setup from Mac OSX (as master) to a PC (as slave).

And maybe the other way around (from pc to pc) as well for all pc users.

I would be very thankful if you can spend the time to make a step by step video about the Reamote network feature.
It might take some amount of time to make Reamote work properly, but I am almost certain the whole community would be very thankful.

Thanks in advance, Kenny!
marsmellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:56 AM   #140
Philbo King

Default Web Interface woes

Kenny,

I don't know if this is the place to ask; a search on Web Interface didn't show any results in this thread.

I was trying out the Web Interface and my phone won't connect properly. I enter the ID into the phone and get this error screen:

Error: The ID 'idstring' was not found for your network. Either the ID is incorrect, or this device is not connected to the same local network as the computer running REAPER.

I've verified both the PC and the phone are on the same wireless LAN, and that both can access the internet through it. Is there some security setting I'm missing?
I'm running Win7 x64, with 32bit REAPER. The phone is a Samsung S4, using Chrome as the browser.

Wait, wait, I've got it. I tried using the 'Internet' app (the phones default browser) and it worked. Chrome didn't want to pop up the Authentication Required window, so I couldn't enter the username & password.

But I'll post this anyway, in case someone else has the same problem.
Philbo King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 05:34 PM   #141
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbo King View Post
Kenny,

I don't know if this is the place to ask; a search on Web Interface didn't show any results in this thread.

I was trying out the Web Interface and my phone won't connect properly. I enter the ID into the phone and get this error screen:

Error: The ID 'idstring' was not found for your network. Either the ID is incorrect, or this device is not connected to the same local network as the computer running REAPER.

I've verified both the PC and the phone are on the same wireless LAN, and that both can access the internet through it. Is there some security setting I'm missing?
I'm running Win7 x64, with 32bit REAPER. The phone is a Samsung S4, using Chrome as the browser.

Wait, wait, I've got it. I tried using the 'Internet' app (the phones default browser) and it worked. Chrome didn't want to pop up the Authentication Required window, so I couldn't enter the username & password.

But I'll post this anyway, in case someone else has the same problem.
Probably deserved it's own thread but I'm glad you figured it out.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:01 PM   #142
grinder

I purchased the series mixing, building, home, mastering Kenny.
The price was very inviting and your prowess was legendary!
I have been using a DAW a while now and have started off with your mixing video's.
Have to say pretty slick thank you. Obviously a lot I already know that said though
your use of all the latest actions with a mouse and keyboard are something to aspire too.
By accident our use of audio files is very similar, mine by accident I am just frugal and my audio files only contain and are recorded with the minimum of space at front or back in the first place. As you will realize I am not far in yet just thought I would say thank you, this is sure to add to my betterment Kenny.

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:12 PM   #143
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringMan View Post
I really wish I could listen to Kenny's videos, but I can't. The way he speaks is so darned annoying, I cannot bear it.
What do you mean? His accent? Upspeak? Speed of talking?

I don't think he's annoying
Old 11-15-2017, 02:53 AM   #144
timh613

I've watched many Reaper videos by different presenters and Kenny's voice is just fine. Clear, well recorded, evenly paced and without a strong accent. Maybe I'll offer to voice Kenny's vids for him, I'm Highland Scottish, so then you really wont understand a word. With all respect "Gang bile yer heid"
timh613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:52 AM   #145
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringMan View Post
I really wish I could listen to Kenny's videos, but I can't. The way he speaks is so darned annoying, I cannot bear it.
Ya know, everybody has his own likes and dislikes, whether it is gear, food, drink or people. But why you chose to post your dislike in the form of a personal attack, let alone post it here is beyond my comprehension.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:06 PM   #146
TheWhistler

Default I really like his voice. Period !!!

I really like Kennys Voice.
If you don´t like it don´t watch his videos.
Kenny has helped such a lot of people - for free.

I don´t know what goal a person pursues with a statement like that?
TheWhistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 02:11 PM   #147
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhistler View Post

Kenny's a good guy, I bet he can take the ribbing.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:49 PM   #148
drichard

There are some people that you could give a million dollars and they would complain that it wasn't two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhistler View Post

drichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:51 AM   #149
dOhm

Don't worry Kenny, the voice that Creation gave you is just perfect.

And perhaps the only reason is jealousy?

As my dear Mother still tells me,"do well and let it be said"...

With my heartfelt thanks for all this work accomplished, which benefits us all,

Dominique
Old 11-16-2017, 09:41 PM   #150
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by dOhm View Post
Don't worry Kenny, the voice that Creation gave you is just perfect.
LOL. Let's not go THAT far.

I'm well aware of my speech pattern. When I first started doing these videos the complaints were constant that I was talking too fast. I really do "naturally" talk very fast.

And what bothered me the most about this was that it was making it very difficult for people who speak english as a second language to keep up.

Unfortunately, simply slowing down sounds like I'm drunk. And I don't think I can do that with a straight face.

So I figured out the best way to allow people to understand and absorb every word, was to simply speak in shorter phrases.

Yes. I know it's a bit awkward for some. But I'd also bet that none of you have to keep rewinding to catch what I just said.

Anyway. This is how I do it and based on the reaction in most of the social places, the complaints seem to be well under 1%. Something I can live with.

Thanks
Old 11-16-2017, 09:46 PM   #151
Jeffsounds

Quote:
So I figured out the best way to allow people to understand and absorb every word, was to simply speak in shorter phrases.
Some of the best narrators in the business speak slowly and in short phrases. Robert Clotworthy does it and he's worth a WHOLE lot more than I'll ever make...
Old 11-17-2017, 12:44 AM   #152
gibi25

Quote:
And what bothered me the most about this was that it was making it very difficult for people who speak english as a second language to keep up.
I'm french, and my english is far from being good and easy.
So, Kenny, thanks for speaking clear and slow enough, just for me.
gibi25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 02:14 AM   #153
dOhm

Quote:
LOL. Let's not go THAT far.
Yes. I know it's a bit awkward for some. But I'd also bet that none of you have to keep rewinding to catch what I just said.
...Thanks
As gibi25 I'm french and this is much more easy for me than if you talk... naturally! ^^

And English talking peoples must be aware of they are not alone on our lovely planet!

Thanks to you and more generally to every people who take time to share knowledge... very much indeed
Old 11-17-2017, 06:57 AM   #154
mschnell

Quote:
was making it very difficult for people who speak english as a second language to keep up.
I am not a native English speaker, and understanding your videos that are currently online is no problem at all for me.

Thanks a lot for your great work !
-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 01:35 PM   #155
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
I'm Canadian so I have no idea what Kenny is talking ab00t, ever.
Today!! You win the internet!!!
Old 11-17-2017, 01:39 PM   #156
europa_man

Quote:
Today!! You win the internet!!!
Eh! I'm Canadian too & I understand Kenny completely!
Old 11-17-2017, 02:02 PM   #157
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by europa_man View Post
Eh! I'm Canadian too & I understand Kenny completely!
I bet it's cold ootside there.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:02 AM   #158
LCipher

wow - these are great. covers it all, and at all levels.
LCipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:43 AM   #159
grinder

Kenny I have a brother who speaks very similarly to you
Like some of our family we speak so rapidly I have come to the conclusion we know life is always going to be so short that we try to get in as much as we can in the shortest possible time.
To me your phrasing is concise and to the point the spaces are just enough to give time to absorb. Just right in other words.
Everybody has noises we don't wish to hear, that is one of the reasons to have an eq handy!

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 02:05 PM   #160
mschnell

Pleas don't get Kenny angry ! He might consider having Vocaloid do his voice over.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote